And we're back!

Main Menu

The GOP Convention MegaMittensThread!

Started by CountDeMoney, August 27, 2012, 12:37:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dps

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on September 01, 2012, 04:23:20 AM
Quote from: dps on September 01, 2012, 03:57:03 AM
I would say that the incumbent being an empty suit gives the challenger an edge, too.

I don't think that statement's true regarding matters of policy and question the characterization if it regards to personality.

Also, I wouldn't characterize Romney as an "empty suit" in regards to personality, as he's pretty clearly an asshole and a bully.

I meant it mostly in regards to policy with Obama, and in regards to both with Romney. 

As far as policy is concerned, I'm not saying that they don't have some ideas, but IMO Obama is mostly just a windbag who's way more style than substance, and Romney pretty clearly will say whatever he thinks will get someone's vote.

Eddie Teach

I don't think floating in the wind in policy matters disadvantages an incumbent. Certainly Bill Clinton's numbers picked up after he dropped the agenda-driven focus of his first two years.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

crazy canuck

Quote from: derspiess on August 31, 2012, 09:34:51 PM
One might also ask why Obama is doing as well as he is in the polls, given the economy. 

That part seems obvious to this outside observer.

1) Your economy was in total meltdown when he took over. 

2) The alternative is terrible - hence my question.

Phillip V

National poll average is pretty much tied now at Obama +0.3, and that is pre-RNC convention: http://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/2012/president/us/general_election_romney_vs_obama-1171.html

Now that Romney has access to his general election fund, Obama's cash-spending advantage through the primaries is over. If the economy continues to stagnate, then Romney might start to finally show a lead. Let's see how the debates go and if anybody will actually watch.

derspiess

Quote from: crazy canuck on September 01, 2012, 01:53:46 PM
Quote from: derspiess on August 31, 2012, 09:34:51 PM
One might also ask why Obama is doing as well as he is in the polls, given the economy. 

That part seems obvious to this outside observer.

1) Your economy was in total meltdown when he took over. 

2) The alternative is terrible - hence my question.

I don't disagree with you on #1, but the sitting president usually gets the blame for a sagging economy, whether rightfully or wrongfully.  Plus, Obama has made a lot of economic promises on which that he failed to deliver.

For #2 that's obviously your opinion, and thankfully close to 50% of likely voters do not share it.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Admiral Yi

Quote from: sbr on August 31, 2012, 08:18:14 PM
Wow, that would be a pretty damning article if anyone that was going to vote for Romney actually cared about ethics, or white collar crime, or real fiscal policy.

Thanks for posting the article.

I disagree with your assessment.  Calling it a bailout is silly.  There were three privately owned banks in the creditor consortium.  They took the same haircut the FDIC owned one did, not because of crony capitalism or any other silliness but because they thought it was the best deal they could get.  Saying it "saved Mitt Romney" takes a number of  logical leaps, either debateable or dubious.

The poison pill bonuses are a debate-worthy topic.

sbr

Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 01, 2012, 02:09:44 PM
Quote from: sbr on August 31, 2012, 08:18:14 PM
Wow, that would be a pretty damning article if anyone that was going to vote for Romney actually cared about ethics, or white collar crime, or real fiscal policy.

Thanks for posting the article.

No problem.:)

QuoteI disagree with your assessment.  Calling it a bailout is silly.  There were three privately owned banks in the creditor consortium.  They took the same haircut the FDIC owned one did, not because of crony capitalism or any other silliness but because they thought it was the best deal they could get.  Saying it "saved Mitt Romney" takes a number of  logical leaps, either debateable or dubious.

The poison pill bonuses are a debate-worthy topic.

I never used the word bailout and agree that the use of it in the article is silly; taxpayers lost money in the deal but it wasnt a bailout.  I think most everything this article says Mitt did is unethical, if some of those things aren't crimes they should be and this is another time that Mitt's business savvy appears to be questionable.

If I was an undecided voter and was considering Romney because of his past business experience, which is what Romney is running on, this article would cause me a lot of concern. Of course a lot of people who are going to vote for Romney aren't very worried about those sorts of things, so I don't think the article means much.

Admiral Yi

Actually it didn't cost taxpayers anything.  As the article says, FDIC is paid for by premiums on deposits.

When you mean everything Mitt did was unethical, do you mean absolutely everything?  Asking his old boss for a clawback was unethical?  Taking the leave from Bain Capital?

Razgovory

Quote from: dps on September 01, 2012, 05:36:06 AM
Quote from: Peter Wiggin on September 01, 2012, 04:23:20 AM
Quote from: dps on September 01, 2012, 03:57:03 AM
I would say that the incumbent being an empty suit gives the challenger an edge, too.

I don't think that statement's true regarding matters of policy and question the characterization if it regards to personality.

Also, I wouldn't characterize Romney as an "empty suit" in regards to personality, as he's pretty clearly an asshole and a bully.

I meant it mostly in regards to policy with Obama, and in regards to both with Romney. 

As far as policy is concerned, I'm not saying that they don't have some ideas, but IMO Obama is mostly just a windbag who's way more style than substance, and Romney pretty clearly will say whatever he thinks will get someone's vote.

The moderate Romney that passed a health care law or the conservative Romney that tells the GOP what they want to hear?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

sbr

Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 01, 2012, 03:06:03 PM
Actually it didn't cost taxpayers anything.  As the article says, FDIC is paid for by premiums on deposits.

When you mean everything Mitt did was unethical, do you mean absolutely everything?  Asking his old boss for a clawback was unethical?  Taking the leave from Bain Capital?

Right about the first point.  The banks did pass the costs on, and anyone that pays bank fees likely also pays taxes so I was technically correct, but not really. :p

And no not everything, I would have to re-read the article which I am not going to do atm, but will later.

DGuller

I finally watched Clint Eastwood's performance, or at least tried to.  After a couple of minutes, I started feeling very sorry for the old man, and couldn't bear to finish watching.

Faeelin

crazy canuck

Quote from: DGuller on September 01, 2012, 07:28:33 PM
I finally watched Clint Eastwood's performance, or at least tried to.  After a couple of minutes, I started feeling very sorry for the old man, and couldn't bear to finish watching.

yeah, I couldnt help wondering if anyone in that audience understood how bad it looked.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: DGuller on September 01, 2012, 07:28:33 PM

I tried to as well, but the whole "wait 30 seconds, play 10 seconds of clip" thing going on with my internet connection meant I also gave up after a couple of minutes, feeling sorry for myself.  :lol:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Berkut

The middle decides elections. And the middle, no matter what the polls say now, will at the end of the day refuse to vote for a bunch of douchebags who are genuflecting and kowtowing to the most willfully ignorant voting bloc since the Know Nothings.

It won't be close, barring some catastrophe.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned