Main Menu

The GOP Convention MegaMittensThread!

Started by CountDeMoney, August 27, 2012, 12:37:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Habbaku

Quote from: sbr on August 27, 2012, 02:54:41 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on August 27, 2012, 02:53:43 PM
Quote from: Faeelin on August 27, 2012, 01:29:00 PM
I'm not sure you can call Ron Paul marginal, given that the GOP is going to study adopting the gold standard.

http://money.cnn.com/2012/08/24/news/economy/republican-gold-standard/index.html

And Obama studied cutting the deficit.  So what?

So you think cutting the deficit is as kooky as the gold standard?

Whoosh.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Admiral Yi

Quote from: sbr on August 27, 2012, 02:54:41 PM
So you think cutting the deficit is as kooky as the gold standard?

I do not.

Faeelin

Quote from: derspiess on August 27, 2012, 02:27:39 PM

You do realize it's meaningless, since it only calls for a study.  They were throwing the Paulites a bone.

Eh, on its own this might be true, but the Romney campaign also offered Paul a chance to speak if he would agree to endorse Romney and so long as they could vet his remarks.

Does the GOP usually woo fringe members of the party to speak at the convention?

DGuller

I'm sure GOP would be happy to have Obama give a speech at their convention if they could vet his speech.

crazy canuck

The Republicans appear to need kooks like Ron Paul.  Gets people talking about how kooky he is rather than worrying about how kooky the rest of the party is.

derspiess

Quote from: crazy canuck on August 27, 2012, 04:15:57 PM
The Republicans appear to need kooks like Ron Paul.  Gets people talking about how kooky he is rather than worrying about how kooky the rest of the party is.

I think the GOP platform this year includes a resolution to place replica gold medals at every border post to commemorate our well-deserved women's soccer victory over Canada.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

crazy canuck

Quote from: derspiess on August 27, 2012, 04:20:46 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on August 27, 2012, 04:15:57 PM

I think the GOP platform this year includes a resolution to place replica gold medals at every border post to commemorate our well-deserved women's soccer victory over Canada.

Figures, they seem to represent everything I most loathe about the US.

Razgovory

Quote from: Faeelin on August 27, 2012, 03:19:12 PM
Quote from: derspiess on August 27, 2012, 02:27:39 PM

You do realize it's meaningless, since it only calls for a study.  They were throwing the Paulites a bone.

Eh, on its own this might be true, but the Romney campaign also offered Paul a chance to speak if he would agree to endorse Romney and so long as they could vet his remarks.

Does the GOP usually woo fringe members of the party to speak at the convention?

Yeah, they have been know to do that.  They had Pat Buchanan speak in 1992.  Cause a bit of a row.  George H. W. Bush didn't win that year.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

OttoVonBismarck

I can't really get behind Romney very much, but part of me wants to see a Romney Presidency just because the internet was a lot more entertaining with everyone bitching about Bush than it has been the last four years. I can already tell CdM would be turning in some high quality entertainment on a regular basis during a Romney presidency.

derspiess

Seedy would burn out after a while.  But yeah, it'd be hilarious while it lasted.  Like way back when Berkut was convinced John Ashcroft was trying to convert everyone to Christianity.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Sheilbh

Quote from: CountDeMoney on August 27, 2012, 02:11:21 PM
Quote from: Faeelin on August 27, 2012, 01:29:00 PM
given that the GOP is going to study adopting the gold standard.

:bleeding: And half the nation actually take these people seriously.
I stopped taking them seriously as a party of government when they decided to abdicate that role, in the TARP votes. With a few honourable exceptions like Ryan.

Edit: The same happened over here. It was their opposition to bank recapitalisation that made me realise just how callow and political Osborne and Cameron are.
Let's bomb Russia!

Razgovory

Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on August 27, 2012, 05:37:08 PM
I can't really get behind Romney very much, but part of me wants to see a Romney Presidency just because the internet was a lot more entertaining with everyone bitching about Bush than it has been the last four years. I can already tell CdM would be turning in some high quality entertainment on a regular basis during a Romney presidency.

Oh, the net is pretty livly with various conspiracies about Obama.  People saying mean things about Bush must have really hurt your guys feelings.  You keep talking about four years after it ended like it was some kind of harrowing ordeal.  I guess you guys aren't use to that.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

derspiess

Poor Madcow seems to be having to dig up obscure crap to bitch about, what with nobody speaking today.

Edit: goddamned auto-correct.  Have to teach my new phone all my curse words.

Ed Anger

Quote from: derspiess on August 27, 2012, 08:41:40 PM
Poor Madcow seems to be having to dig up obscure crape to hitch about, what with nobody speaking today.

WHY ARE YOU WATCHING MSNBC?

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Ideologue

QuoteThey have no business being there. Our message is to them is that your home is in the Democratic Party

HEY GARBON
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)