Several People Shot Outside Empire State Building

Started by garbon, August 24, 2012, 08:40:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CountDeMoney

Quote from: garbon on August 24, 2012, 02:49:09 PM
How is it to live your life in a country whose total population could basically fit in the 5 boroughs of New York?

Probably lots of leg room, I'll give them that.

derspiess

Quote from: Valmy on August 24, 2012, 02:36:51 PM
Quote from: Martim Silva on August 24, 2012, 02:20:48 PM
Actually, I would like to ask the Americans here in this forum how is it like to actually live your day to day life, knowing an 'Active Shooter Event' can happen at any time... (I mean, that's what, three or four shootings in the last 10 days?).

How do you cope, kowing that the guy that is being fired can come back tomorrow and shoot the beejeezus out of everybody in the company?

It's really mind-boggling to me...

There is actually very little gun violence in this country outside of a few urban hotspots.  I have never actually heard or seen a gun fired outside of a sports context.  And I live in Texas.

Don't spoil it for the Euros. 
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Ed Anger

Quote from: Razgovory on August 24, 2012, 02:35:10 PM
Quote from: dps on August 24, 2012, 11:09:39 AM
Disgruntled ex-employee, so apparantly neither.

You know, they really should pass a law making it a crime to just shoot people dead on the street because you lost your job--oh, wait.

Actually, I would like to ask the Americans here in this forum how is it like to actually live your day to day life, knowing an 'Active Shooter Event' can happen at any time... (I mean, that's what, three or four shootings in the last 10 days?).

How do you cope, kowing that the guy that is being fired can come back tomorrow and shoot the beejeezus out of everybody in the company?

I live every day in crippling fear for my life.  Not from crazed gunmen.  That would be silly.  Time Travelers are the real danger.  You never know when the person sitting next to you is from the future and knows exactly what you are going to to do.

Don't forget about the Horses conspiring against us.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

garbon

Quote from: CountDeMoney on August 24, 2012, 03:07:11 PM
How is it to live your life in a country whose total population could basically fit in the 5 boroughs of New York?

In a country the size of Indiana? :yeahright:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Ed Anger

Quote from: garbon on August 24, 2012, 03:13:05 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on August 24, 2012, 03:07:11 PM

In a country the size of Indiana? :yeahright:

:yuk:

DGuller

Quote from: PRC on August 24, 2012, 11:12:33 AM
Quote from: Siege on August 24, 2012, 09:26:48 AM
Let's take the guns away from all law abiding citizens so only criminals have guns!!!!

That should make them easy to identify.
:yes: It always strikes me how the people making that point fail to realize they are scoring an own goal with it.

DGuller

Quote from: dps on August 24, 2012, 11:09:39 AM
Disgruntled ex-employee, so apparantly neither.

You know, they really should pass a law making it a crime to just shoot people dead on the street because you lost your job--oh, wait.

I tuck myself away in the corner of my cubicle, cowering in fear.  This position also has the advantage of moving my body away from the likely field of fire, once the inevitable happens.

DGuller

Quote from: Habbaku on August 24, 2012, 02:37:33 PM
Crime doesn't exist in Portugal, eh?
To be fair, the murder rate in Portugal is 1.2, whereas it is 4.2 in US.

Razgovory

Quote from: DGuller on August 24, 2012, 03:19:07 PM
Quote from: PRC on August 24, 2012, 11:12:33 AM
Quote from: Siege on August 24, 2012, 09:26:48 AM
Let's take the guns away from all law abiding citizens so only criminals have guns!!!!

That should make them easy to identify.
:yes: It always strikes me how the people making that point fail to realize they are scoring an own goal with it.

I thought it was just some sort of banal observation.  Like "If we banned heroin, only criminals would have heroin!".
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Admiral Yi

Shooter was a 58 year old fashion designer who got shitcanned. :unsure:

mongers

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Ed Anger

Speaking of Martim, I'm still awaiting Oklahoma's declaration of Independence.

MadImmortalMan

They're saying the shooter shot the one person he intended to, and the other 9 were shot by the police.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Habbaku

Quote from: Admiral Yi on August 24, 2012, 05:34:25 PM
Shooter was a 58 year old fashion designer who got shitcanned. :unsure:

And was fired a year ago, apparently.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Viking

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on August 24, 2012, 05:42:57 PM
They're saying the shooter shot the one person he intended to, and the other 9 were shot by the police.

Wait, WTF?
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.