News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Breivik gets 21 years

Started by Martinus, August 24, 2012, 03:48:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Martinus

Eddie Teach

Do Scandinavian courts not even have life sentencing options?
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Viking

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on August 24, 2012, 03:50:26 AM
Do Scandinavian courts not even have life sentencing options?

Life = 21 years.

Formally he gets a life sentence but that has been normalized to 21 years. And it is not 21 years prison, it is 21 years storage. So, even when the sentence is completed he will still have to convince a parole board that he should be released.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Legbiter

Glad the court didn't take the easy way out and rule that he was insane.
Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Viking on August 24, 2012, 03:55:19 AM
Formally he gets a life sentence but that has been normalized to 21 years.

What does this mean?

Martinus

Quote from: Legbiter on August 24, 2012, 05:12:12 AM

I thought that would be preferable - from what I heard from a Swedish friend, being declared insane would allow the crown to keep him locked up forever, whereas once he serves his time they can't stop him getting out (although what Viking is saying seems to contradict that).

The Brain

In Sweden he would have gotten life.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Solmyr

He has stated that he would appeal if he were ruled insane.

Viking

Quote from: Admiral Yi on August 24, 2012, 05:13:26 AM

What does this mean?

When you get sentenced to a life sentence you actually get sentenced to a 21 year sentence.

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Viking

Quote from: Martinus on August 24, 2012, 05:43:06 AM

I thought that would be preferable - from what I heard from a Swedish friend, being declared insane would allow the crown to keep him locked up forever, whereas once he serves his time they can't stop him getting out (although what Viking is saying seems to contradict that).

He got Storage, that means he only gets out when the parole board lets him out. They can keep him in forever.

Unlike life in prison which would mean he'd get out in 2032. The problem with insanity is that it he would get released on his shrink's say so tomorrow.

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: The Brain on August 24, 2012, 05:48:33 AM
In Sweden he would have gotten life.

In Sweden, killing 70 people is not as bad as a she-changed-her-mind-afterward rape accusation. Breivik would have to flee to Ecuador.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Razgovory

Quote from: Viking on August 24, 2012, 07:15:40 AM

What does this mean?

When you get sentenced to a life sentence you actually get sentenced to a 21 year sentence.

Damn, I thought you people lived longer then that.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Jacob

What does this mean?

It means that he serves 21 years without parole. Then after that, every five years he can try to convince some board or other that he's not a danger to society which will result in release. He could end up on the inside until he's dead.

derspiess

Quote from: Jacob on August 24, 2012, 02:50:47 PM

What does this mean?

It means that he serves 21 years without parole. Then after that, every five years he can try to convince some board or other that he's not a danger to society which will result in release. He could end up on the inside until he's dead.

Why not life with no chance of parole?  Or does that sentence not exist in Scandiweenia?
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Viking

Quote from: Jacob on August 24, 2012, 02:50:47 PM

What does this mean?

Eh, no...

You are mixing up stuff here.

Breivik has NOT been sentenced to prison, he has been sentenced to storage. Note the word, storage. It is not a punishment. He is being removed from society for societies sake. This is not about attempting to reform him he cannot in the words of every "reformed criminal" pay his debt to society.

Just to elaborate on the lexicon, and when I first learned the meaning of norwegian prison words I bust a vein.

Life - the longest peacetime sentence a norwegian court can give, it is normalized to 21 years so a life sentence for a 20 year old and a 50 year old are not substantively different.

Year - a norwegian prison year is 8 months. Yes, norwegian prisoners get vacation days. And, willy mays style, they get released for weekend visits to family and often for christmas.

Prison - regular prison as you know it in the rest of the world. Prisoners are eligible for parole after 2/3 of their sentenced has been served (14 prison years for a life sentence, approx 10 real years), with good behavior parole is always granted.

Storage - a sentence which includes a regular prison sentence but also requires a parole hearing to be released. This is a relatively new innovation for norwegian justice and nobody sentenced to storage has yet been released. The english language equivalent is life with eligability for parole after 21 years. Though technically the state has to petition for parole being denied to the best of my knowledge this petition has never been refused and the state has never declined to make such a petition.

Breivik has been sentenced to storage. He can petition for release after 14 prison years and he will be released after 21 prison years unless the state petitions to keep him in. Norwegian government being the incestious little petry dish that it is this boils down to him being held at the justice minister's leasure.