And we're back!

Main Menu

Independents and non-partisans

Started by Razgovory, August 22, 2012, 09:36:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DGuller

Quote from: Admiral Yi on August 22, 2012, 12:57:15 PM
Quote from: DGuller on August 22, 2012, 12:17:37 PM
I think you have to separate being a Democrat from being an anti-Republican.  If you were a Soviet Jew, you may not have liked Stalin very much, but in 1942 you would probably be quite a fervent follower of him.

This is the Stewart/Maher/Colbert variant of partisanship.

It's greatest strength is that you're never really in favor of any solutions, so you never have to defend them.
That's bullshit of quite rare purity.

Admiral Yi

Martinus

I think you have to separate being a Democrat from being an anti-Republican.  If you were a Soviet Jew, you may not have liked Stalin very much, but in 1942 you would probably be quite a fervent follower of him.

It's greatest strength is that you're never really in favor of any solutions, so you never have to defend them.

Both Stewart and Colbert are comedians (hint: their shows are on a channel called Comedy Central). Why would you expect comedians to advance policies?

DGuller

Quote from: Admiral Yi on August 22, 2012, 01:06:59 PM
Quote from: DGuller on August 22, 2012, 01:03:17 PM

I know you are but what am I?
Sorry, I may not have been clear.  What I meant to say is that your (Admiral Yi's) comment was bullshit of rare purity.  I did not mean to imply that what I (DGuller) said was bullshit, of any purity.  I hope that clears it up.  :)

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Martinus on August 22, 2012, 01:16:06 PM
Both Stewart and Colbert are comedians (hint: their shows are on a channel called Comedy Central). Why would you expect comedians to advance policies?

I would not expect comedians to advance policies.

But the large number of Democrats who think and talk just like them are not comedians.

Martinus

Quote from: Admiral Yi on August 22, 2012, 01:19:38 PM

I would not expect comedians to advance policies.

But the large number of Democrats who think and talk just like them are not comedians.

Then why do you use names of comedians to make a point about politicians? It does not allow for a clear response as it is unclear what you meant.

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Razgovory

Quote from: DGuller on August 22, 2012, 01:03:17 PM

Nope.  Yi is right.  Being against things is easy.  Being for something, now that's hard.  It requires courage.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Siege

Don't understimate the influence of comedians.
Every democrat I know use them as valid reference.

Oh wait, I don't know any democrats.

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

Berkut

Yi is right, I just don't get why he thinks it matters.

Those guys are comedians - it is there job to make fun of the media and Republicans, not to formulate effective policy.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Valmy

QuoteBut the large number of Democrats who think and talk just like them are not comedians.

Meh large numbers of people in this country on both sides are motivated by hatred of the other party.  Not just Democrats.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

dps

I suspect a lot of people identify themselves as independents so that they can be anti-everything.

Valmy

Quote from: dps on August 22, 2012, 04:18:43 PM
I suspect a lot of people identify themselves as independents so that they can be anti-everything.

Yep.

Though to be fair not even the greatest geniuses in this country agree or have a good grasp on the problems and solutions we face.  To expect ordinary people to be able to understand the problems and be able to have a good idea about solutions is alot to ask so if none of the big authorities have their confidence this is probably a common reaction.

And there is the other issue that as soon as you take on the cloak of Democrat or Republican you will have huge amounts of people who will think you are horrible who hate liberty or gays or whatever.  People like Siege and Raz will be hounding you at parties.  It can just be less of a headache to just announce your neutrality and avoid the frothing rage that tends to run through political life.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

grumbler

Quote from: Martinus on August 22, 2012, 01:21:56 PM

Then why do you use names of comedians to make a point about politicians? It does not allow for a clear response as it is unclear what you meant.
Because those comedians are examples of the "Stewart/Maher/Colbert variant of partisanship" that Yi wanted to reference?

None of this is very hard, if you just read what is written.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!