News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

This is why estate taxes should be 100%

Started by Martinus, August 21, 2012, 10:00:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral Yi

This discussion needs more mention of organized religion.

Darth Wagtaros

How would the American Civil War have gone had Marty's ideas been executed prior to Bleeding Kansas?
PDH!

Ed Anger

Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on August 21, 2012, 06:40:34 PM
How would the American Civil War have gone had Marty's ideas been executed prior to Bleeding Kansas?

Mart would have been stabbed while gaying it up in the Five Points.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

alfred russel

Quote from: Martinus on August 21, 2012, 01:52:54 PM
So, noone is going to agree with me? Seriously? Since when this forum has gone so neo-con? :D

Because it is a terrible idea. Many people that earn lots of wealth have it tied to a business venture of some sort. Imagine a farmer who in old age knows he can't leave the property to his children but has money put aside. He certainly won't have much incentive to invest in improvements to the farm. He may actually have an incentive to destroy the farm's value: for example, if the tractors outside interrupt his afternoon nap, perhaps he will shut half the farm down so he can sleep in peace. Or if he really likes baseball, maybe he will build a field to see if they come.

The same principles work with any other business. It also probably won't be for the best for the government to own all of businesses once the current owners die.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Razgovory

Quote from: Ed Anger on August 21, 2012, 06:43:17 PM

One can almost imagine Marty and Lettow riding with Bragg during the Civil War.  It'd be like a war game where Jeff Davis keeps drawing bad commanders and putting them out in command of garrisons out West.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Darth Wagtaros

To say nothing of the corruption that would arise when the government had to divest itself of the properties and monies.  Assuming it did.  I guess in a generation or two the government wold be the sole land owner and source of wealth.
PDH!

Ed Anger

Quote from: Razgovory on August 21, 2012, 06:52:07 PM
Quote from: Ed Anger on August 21, 2012, 06:43:17 PM

One can almost imagine Marty and Lettow riding with Bragg during the Civil War.  It'd be like a war game where Jeff Davis keeps drawing bad commanders and putting them out in command of garrisons out West.

Mart -2 command, -4 morale. Slow mover, Avg. intellect. Prone to flights of fancy. Assigned to garrison duty in Brownsville, Texas commanding a garrison of 500 old men and boys.

Ed Anger

Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on August 21, 2012, 06:53:22 PM
To say nothing of the corruption that would arise when the government had to divest itself of the properties and monies.  Assuming it did.  I guess in a generation or two the government wold be the sole land owner and source of wealth.

I'd burn the winery down before I'd let the gub'mint take mah lands.

Habbaku

Quote from: Ed Anger on August 21, 2012, 06:56:00 PM
Assigned to garrison duty in Brownsville, Texas commanding a garrison of 500 old men and boys.

That'd be, what, roughly 816 feet?
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Ed Anger

Quote from: Habbaku on August 21, 2012, 07:16:55 PM
Quote from: Ed Anger on August 21, 2012, 06:56:00 PM
Assigned to garrison duty in Brownsville, Texas commanding a garrison of 500 old men and boys.

That'd be, what, roughly 816 feet?

:lol:

Siege

You guys are making fun of Martinus on his back.
He is not aware of this thread.
This is not polite.

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Siege on August 21, 2012, 07:28:03 PM
This is not polite.

Siege made a JOKE!
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Ed Anger

Viking

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on August 21, 2012, 07:45:14 PM
Quote from: Siege on August 21, 2012, 07:28:03 PM
This is not polite.

Siege made a JOKE!
You never know, he might actually mean what he said.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.