And we're back!

Main Menu

This is why estate taxes should be 100%

Started by Martinus, August 21, 2012, 10:00:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

viper37

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on August 21, 2012, 10:08:55 AM
Quote from: viper37 on August 21, 2012, 10:05:51 AM
and how do you prevent estates from being transferred while the owner is still alive?

Gift taxes.
so charity is now forbidden.  State would take everything and give nothing back.  I suppose it pleases to some people.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: viper37 on August 21, 2012, 12:46:21 PM
Quote from: The Minsky Moment on August 21, 2012, 10:08:55 AM
Quote from: viper37 on August 21, 2012, 10:05:51 AM
and how do you prevent estates from being transferred while the owner is still alive?

Gift taxes.
so charity is now forbidden.  State would take everything and give nothing back.  I suppose it pleases to some people.

:huh:
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

garbon

Quote from: Martinus on August 21, 2012, 10:24:46 AM
Quote from: Drakken on August 21, 2012, 10:11:30 AM
Quote from: Martinus on August 21, 2012, 10:00:48 AM
http://richkidsofinstagram.tumblr.com/page/1

:bleeding:

Not sure I follow. Aren't you a 1%? Aren't you supposed to be among these?

Wealth is not the same as wanton and mindless consummerism.

There is a difference between being Warren Buffet and Richard Branson or Paris Hilton.

Wouldn't "wanton and mindless consumerism" increase if wealth can't be transferred from generation to generation?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Martinus

Quote from: garbon on August 21, 2012, 01:02:18 PM

There is a difference between being Warren Buffet and Richard Branson or Paris Hilton.

Wouldn't "wanton and mindless consumerism" increase if wealth can't be transferred from generation to generation?

I don't know - usually people who earn the money are the type of people who do not want to spend it wantonly on useless shit. And even if they were, it's still their right since they earned it - as opposed to the parasites who spawned out of their cum.

MadImmortalMan

It's also their right to give it to the cum parasites.

In the US, you can gift $13k tax free per year. I know because I give my mom that much every single year.  :P
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Martinus

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on August 21, 2012, 01:16:18 PM
It's also their right to give it to the cum parasites.

In the US, you can gift $13k tax free per year. I know because I give my mom that much every single year.  :P

That's fine - I'm fine with gifts, since the giver is still in mental capacity and presumably the decision is correct. But once a person croak, there is really no reason why his adult children should get anything of it (except if someone is e.g. disabled and cannot earn his or her maintenance).

Darth Wagtaros

Your view reflects your communist upbringing.  "These parasites should not inherit the People's wealth! The money should be given to the government and redistributed as needed."
PDH!

Martinus

Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on August 21, 2012, 01:20:23 PM
Your view reflects your communist upbringing.  "These parasites should not inherit the People's wealth! The money should be given to the government and redistributed as needed."

I have well-off parents. They helped me with my life and I'm fine with it. But I now earn my own living and I see no reason why I should get their money whe they die. So really it's hard to say I had a communist upbringing. Quite the opposite.

Siege

What are you talking about?
Mindless consumerism is a source of wealth.
We need more rich kids like these to generate more revenues for the tourism, car, and entertaiment industries.

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

Siege

Word.

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

Grey Fox

Paris Hilton is a bad example. The Women created a multi million dollar empire that does make or produce anything.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

DGuller

Quote from: Siege on August 21, 2012, 01:22:55 PM
Mindless consumerism is a source of wealth.
It's not like there would be no consumption without them.  If these rich were lined up and executed, and their wealth redistributed, those who got the spoils would increase their own consumption.  In fact, they'd probably consume higher percent of that wealth than the now-deceased rich would.

Grey Fox

Quote from: Martinus on August 21, 2012, 01:21:43 PM

I have well-off parents. They helped me with my life and I'm fine with it. But I now earn my own living and I see no reason why I should get their money whe they die. So really it's hard to say I had a communist upbringing. Quite the opposite.

What do you suggest they do with it?

Martinus

So, noone is going to agree with me? Seriously? Since when this forum has gone so neo-con? :D

Grey Fox

Quote from: Martinus on August 21, 2012, 01:52:54 PM
So, noone is going to agree with me? Seriously? Since when this forum has gone so neo-con? :D

Your view has nothing to do with economy, it's all because you hate children.