Favorite Sci-Fi (if you must, Fantasy as well) Universes?

Started by Queequeg, May 12, 2009, 12:24:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

grumbler

Quote from: Neil on May 12, 2009, 12:39:45 PM
The ewoks taught us an invaluable lesson about racism, and so are just fine.
That thud you just heard is all your cred from the past 7 years crashing around your ears.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Berkut

Quote from: grumbler on May 12, 2009, 12:46:49 PM
That thud you just heard is all your cred from the past 7 years crashing around your ears.

You cannot lose that which you never had. It is the power of the troll.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Neil

Quote from: grumbler on May 12, 2009, 12:39:01 PM
Quote from: Faeelin on May 12, 2009, 11:58:47 AM
I don't get the foundation love. They were cute, sure, but they were also a bit... I dunno. Maybe it's just the way they're dated, to me. "Oh, this is my fission powered garbage can. And behold the triumph of Foundation miniaturization, a pocket calculator!"
The originals suffered from this, but also from the fact that the only memorable character in them was The Mule, and he was memorable solely because Asimov made him a freak.
Well, a lot of the main characters in Foundation suffered from the same traits that most sci-fi protagonists of the period had:  That clever, scientific and enlightened men who kept their cool in any situation and used reason coupled with advanced scientific understanding to solve their problems.  That said, it's hard to say that Hari Seldon and Salvor Hardin aren't memorable.

I mourn for the idealism of those days, and for the magic that was implied by the word 'atomics'.
QuoteAsimov was like Niven, I think:  he could create great concepts for stories, but was a mediocre writer at best so most of these great story ideas became mediocre books.
Still, some of their individual works stand out as rather well done.  The novels Foundation and Ringworld are both rather good, true classics of the genre and period.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Caliga

Quote from: grumbler on May 12, 2009, 12:39:01 PM
the only memorable character in them was The Mule, and he was memorable solely because Asimov made him a freak.

:mad: Hari Seldon was memorable.  As was that chick whose name I forget... oh wait  :Embarrass:

Also, Daneel, but Daneel is in everything Asimov does so doesn't really "count" as a memorable Foundation-specific character.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Queequeg

Quote from: Tyr on May 12, 2009, 10:09:59 AM

I'd agree on Firefly.
It was quite a shitty, very nonsencial universe. But a awesome, awesome series.
I stopped watching the movie when they had crazy, super violent massed cannibal pseudo-zombies that.....can fly starships and coordinate attacks.
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Neil

Quote from: grumbler on May 12, 2009, 12:46:49 PM
Fuck you.  What's the lesson we learn from the ewoks?  Always exterminate the indigenous life.  Even though they might be inferior and seem helpless, they can be dangerous.  If your people had taken those lessons to heart, 9-11 would never have happened.

Your ignorance and refusal to become enlightened makes me sad.  Well, insofar as I am capable of feeling sad for others.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Savonarola

Star Wars, from the original three movies, is my favorite.  I like how it combines 30s sci-fi serials, Nazi propaganda films, westerns and samurai movies into a workable setting.

The favorite universe I've created is the universe that's as Canadian as possible, given the circumstances:

http://www.fictionpress.com/s/2287566/1/The_Amazing_Adventures_of_Captain_Canada

I agree with BR about the Marvel Universe; not so much about the DC (though the Savonarola of Earth-3 hates the Marvel Universe and loves the DC one...)  One web-comic universe I like is the steam punk universe of Girl Genius:

http://www.girlgeniusonline.com/

The best part of that universe is that women who inhabit it seem to be incapable of having less than a c-cup.   :)

In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Ed Anger

QuoteNazi propaganda films

The jedi in the 3 prequels are the gestapo of the Republic.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Syt

Quote from: Ed Anger on May 12, 2009, 01:21:33 PM

Really? I thought they were more like political commissars.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Savonarola

So, from your persepctive the Jedi are evil?  :unsure:
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

The Brain

I don't know about you but I think most of us would like to punch Yoda's little fugly face in with a hammer.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Ed Anger

Quote from: Savonarola on May 12, 2009, 01:23:03 PM

So, from your persepctive the Jedi are evil?  :unsure:

Yep. A bunch of child rapers in their temple too.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Berkut

Quote from: The Brain on May 12, 2009, 01:27:37 PM
I don't know about you but I think most of us would like to punch Yoda's little fugly face in with a hammer.

That guy was just such an epic failure in everything he did.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Sheilbh

Let's bomb Russia!