News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Voter ID controversy

Started by Martinus, August 17, 2012, 01:44:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grey Fox

I know it's fun to disagree with meri just for the lulz but I can't believe that you guys can't see the cynism in that.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

derspiess

Quote from: Grey Fox on October 03, 2012, 11:58:18 AM
I know it's fun to disagree with meri just for the lulz but I can't believe that you guys can't see the cynism in that.

Just trying to help her cope with reality.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

crazy canuck

GF, I think the answer is no.  They dont see it.

mongers

Quote from: derspiess on October 03, 2012, 12:40:17 PM

The one where Republicans can now only win via ballot rigging  ?
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

derspiess

Quote from: mongers on October 03, 2012, 12:45:43 PM
Quote from: derspiess on October 03, 2012, 12:40:17 PM

The one where Republicans can now only win via ballot rigging  ?

Save it for your letter to Ohio voters :)
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

derspiess

For some balance:

http://www.democrats.org/about/our_leaders

QuoteDEMOCRATIC NATIONAL COMMITTEE CHAIR
Rep. Debbie Wasserman Schultz
As the chair of the Democratic National Committee, Rep. Debbie Wasserman Schultz works every day to advance President Obama's agenda and re-election campaign and to elect Democratic candidates across the country. First elected to Congress in 2004, Rep. Wasserman Schultz has been a rising presence in the House and a tireless advocate for Democratic values. Prior to becoming chair, Rep. Wasserman Schultz was DNC vice chair.

Horror, outrage, etc.

Valmy

Quote from: crazy canuck on October 03, 2012, 12:44:40 PM
GF, I think the answer is no.  They dont see it.

Of course I see it.  But it is the nature of the beast.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

merithyn

Quote from: derspiess on October 03, 2012, 12:50:49 PM
For some balance:

http://www.democrats.org/about/our_leaders

QuoteDEMOCRATIC NATIONAL COMMITTEE CHAIR
Rep. Debbie Wasserman Schultz
As the chair of the Democratic National Committee, Rep. Debbie Wasserman Schultz works every day to advance President Obama's agenda and re-election campaign and to elect Democratic candidates across the country. First elected to Congress in 2004, Rep. Wasserman Schultz has been a rising presence in the House and a tireless advocate for Democratic values. Prior to becoming chair, Rep. Wasserman Schultz was DNC vice chair.

Horror, outrage, etc.

I saw that as well. I'm also pretty sure that I said that I dislike both parties' emphasis on this. The difference is that the Democrats aren't changing laws to give their party a better chance at winning. And at least Wasserman Schultz is pretending by throwing Obama's agenda in there. Not that it's a hell of a lot better, but it doesn't feel quite so... stark.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Valmy

Quote from: merithyn on October 03, 2012, 01:11:43 PM
The difference is that the Democrats aren't changing laws to give their party a better chance at winning.

Like hell they are not.  But usually the Republicans and Democrats are crafting laws to make it harder for any third party to challenge them.  Only rarely do they come into conflict like this on election laws as their interests usually intersect.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

derspiess

I saw that as well. I'm also pretty sure that I said that I dislike both parties' emphasis on this. The difference is that the Democrats aren't changing laws to give their party a better chance at winning.

No.  To flip it around, Democrats seem willing to tolerate (if not encourage) a certain amount of voter fraud to give their party a better chance at winning.

QuoteAnd at least Wasserman Schultz is pretending by throwing Obama's agenda in there. Not that it's a hell of a lot better, but it doesn't feel quite so... stark.

Pretty sure that's only because her party has the White House.  If McCain had won in '08 I'm sure Priebus would mention McCain's agenda.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Valmy on October 03, 2012, 01:33:59 PM
The difference is that the Democrats aren't changing laws to give their party a better chance at winning.

Like hell they are not.  But usually the Republicans and Democrats are crafting laws to make it harder for any third party to challenge them.  Only rarely do they come into conflict like this on election laws as their interests usually intersect.

I think the point she is making is the Republicans are so desparate they are now departing from those basic norms that have governed your system for so long.

DGuller

Quote from: derspiess on October 03, 2012, 01:38:57 PM
No.  To flip it around, Democrats seem willing to tolerate (if not encourage) a certain amount of voter fraud to give their party a better chance at winning.
That's a pretty serious accusation, and unlike the accusation of disenfranchisement against Republicans, totally made up.

crazy canuck

Quote from: DGuller on October 03, 2012, 01:42:24 PM
Quote from: derspiess on October 03, 2012, 01:38:57 PM
That's a pretty serious accusation, and unlike the accusation of disenfranchisement against Republicans, totally made up.

He is just repeating the central fallacy of the Republican argument - that there is a problem which needs to be addressed.

alfred russel

Quote from: crazy canuck on October 03, 2012, 01:40:29 PM
I think the point she is making is the Republicans are so desparate they are now departing from those basic norms that have governed your system for so long.

Southern conservatives figuring out ways to keep black people from voting is one of those traditions that has an uninterrupted link to the beginning of our republic.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

crazy canuck

Quote from: alfred russel on October 03, 2012, 01:47:03 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on October 03, 2012, 01:40:29 PM

Southern conservatives figuring out ways to keep black people from voting is one of those traditions that has an uninterrupted link to the beginning of our republic.

:lol:

Fair point