If you had to choose, would you live in London or Singapore?

Started by MadImmortalMan, August 15, 2012, 02:05:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

If you had to choose, would you live in London or Singapore?

London
27 (79.4%)
Singapore
7 (20.6%)

Total Members Voted: 33

KRonn

I'd pick London. Singapore seems appealing but I don't really favor that part of the world. Their law abiding nature has its benefits but they go too far with it.

Monoriu

Singapore is a much safer place than London.  But don't go there if you really hate fake democracies, government censorship, very tough laws against minor offences like littering, etc.  It is also very hot and humid, although the air pollution is much less of a problem than HK or China.  They have blue sky and clean air; we don't.  It is congested, but sound city planning makes it much more tolerable than HK.  In terms of adventure, London itself is a much bigger adventure than Singapore.  Singapore is all about order, and it is quite small.  The advantage of Singapore is that it is very close to other SE Asian places. 

Josquius

Dublin I'd put top assuming a three way choice.

Never been to Singapore but it strikes me as by far the better option. So much more interesting than bland, stabby London.
██████
██████
██████

Razgovory

Quote from: Tyr on August 15, 2012, 08:41:14 PM

Never been to Singapore but it strikes me as by far the better option. So much more interesting than bland, stabby London.

I got this feeling they might execute you there.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Josquius

Quote from: Razgovory on August 15, 2012, 09:21:50 PM

Why?
██████
██████
██████

Razgovory

They are rather strict there.  It's essentially a fascist state.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Josquius

Quote from: Razgovory on August 15, 2012, 09:47:02 PM
They are rather strict there.  It's essentially a fascist state.
Strict on what?
I can't think of anything I do that would be against their laws. And I'm a white Brit so its unlikely they'd pick on me for no reason.
██████
██████
██████

Ed Anger

Michael Fay thought he was immune being American and they caned his punk ass.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Monoriu

Quote from: Razgovory on August 15, 2012, 09:21:50 PM

It is a bit far to say that they are a fascist state.  But they really do execute people for drug offences. 

Razgovory

The ruling party did adopt the symbol of the British Fascists.

Phillip V

'Yet another wealth report has put tiny Singapore on the top of its charts – this time, as the wealthiest nation in the world by GDP per capita, beating Norway, the U.S., Hong Kong and Switzerland.'

http://blogs.wsj.com/scene/2012/08/16/the-worlds-richest-country/
QuoteThe report, released this week by Knight Frank and Citi Private Wealth, estimates that Singapore's GDP per capita – at US$56,532 in 2010, measured by purchasing power parity – is the highest in the world, topping Norway (US$51, 226), the US (US$45, 511) and Hong Kong (US$45, 301). The report also predicts that Singapore will hold its place as the world's most affluent country in 2050 (by GDP per capita), followed closely by Hong Kong, Taiwan and South Korea who will displace Norway and Switzerland as the world's richest places.

Jacob

Quote from: Ed Anger on August 15, 2012, 09:57:06 PM

Maybe Tyr isn't planning to vandalize cars and spraypaint walls?

Richard Hakluyt

London of course, Singapore is merely convenient, London is a great city.

Syt

Zanza has spent some time in Singapore. Get some input from him.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Ed Anger

Quote from: Jacob on August 15, 2012, 11:38:49 PM
Quote from: Ed Anger on August 15, 2012, 09:57:06 PM

Maybe Tyr isn't planning to vandalize cars and spraypaint walls?

Tyr is a drunk however.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive