If you had to choose, would you live in London or Singapore?

Started by MadImmortalMan, August 15, 2012, 02:05:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

If you had to choose, would you live in London or Singapore?

London
27 (79.4%)
Singapore
7 (20.6%)

Total Members Voted: 33

alfred russel

Quote from: Sheilbh on August 15, 2012, 02:19:48 PM
Expats get generous packages to deal with cost of living difference etc. my company used to do it. American companies pay above the odds because they're convinced that outsourcing the work on that stuff is cheaper. It's really not :lol:

It depends. At my company for instance, if someone truly expatriates they go on local payroll and will not get a cost of living difference at all--they will get the market rate in the new country.

If someone goes shorter term, their pay will be adjusted so the cost of living and taxes in the home country keep them consistent as if they stayed home. For example, if I go to the UK short term, I'll get a bump to compensate for higher taxes. If I go to Hong Kong, they will keep a portion of my pay so that I don't get a tax windfall from the lower taxes (this results in some infuriated people that do an assignment in Hong Kong).
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

MadImmortalMan

I do know more people in London too. A few of you guys live there.

But yeah, Dublin would be ideal for me. I know it well, and I love that city. It's just less likely than the other two.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Phillip V

We need more American connections and interactions with Southeast Asia / East Asia. Go Singapore to do your duty.

crazy canuck

I would be happy to spend time in either city.  Singapore probably has a better education system for the littile MiMs.  Both are central hubs of travel.

London has a better cultural scene - Singapore is more like a police state.
Singapore allows access to more exotic locations for trips.

It is a hard decision.  But it probably boils down to London for the familiar and Singapore for the adventure.

Sheilbh

Quote from: alfred russel on August 15, 2012, 02:27:16 PM
It depends. At my company for instance, if someone truly expatriates they go on local payroll and will not get a cost of living difference at all--they will get the market rate in the new country.

If someone goes shorter term, their pay will be adjusted so the cost of living and taxes in the home country keep them consistent as if they stayed home. For example, if I go to the UK short term, I'll get a bump to compensate for higher taxes. If I go to Hong Kong, they will keep a portion of my pay so that I don't get a tax windfall from the lower taxes (this results in some infuriated people that do an assignment in Hong Kong).
Yeah it depends on lots, not least length and purpose of the move and your job - and permanent moves are treated totally differently. 

The general rule for Western companies is that your standard of living shouldn't be better or worse off for having taken the trip (practically this normally isn't the case).  So the standard policy for a Western company, and they vary widely, is that if you're moving from the US to, say, the UK then they'll calculate your pay net of pension plan, taxes and housing - then they'll index that for cost of living, normally the company will then bear the cost of reasonable housing in a similar area and any extra costs such as higher taxes, education or the move of a working spouse.

Similarly if you go to, say, Hong Kong your net salary will still be your US salary net of housing, tax and pensions and then indexed for cost of living.  The company will then take the tax windfall but still have cost of housing.

QuoteI would be happy to spend time in either city.  Singapore probably has a better education system for the littile MiMs.  Both are central hubs of travel.
Actually London's got great state schools, miles ahead of the national average.  But chances are, regardless, they'd go to an international school.
Let's bomb Russia!

MadImmortalMan

I don't have kids, and if we did have some we would probably be back in the states before they reached school age anyway. So that part is relatively unimportant.

How easy is it to hop around Asia from Singapore anyway? I know Mono takes trips to Bangkok and Sri Lanka. It must be cheap if he does it.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Ed Anger

Tiny hobbit houses with their tiny appliances. vs Yang's Hive.

Go Anglo Saxon. White Power.

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Jacob

alfred russel

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)

crazy canuck

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on August 15, 2012, 03:05:35 PM
I know Mono takes trips to Bangkok and Sri Lanka. It must be cheap if he does it.

:D

What more do you need to know.

alfred russel

MiM, if travel options are a major determinant, then you probably can't do much better than Singapore and London for their respective regions. It comes down to whether you would prefer to travel in South Asia or Europe.

My $0.02, Singapore gives easy access to Thailand, Indonesia/Bali, the Malay peninsula, Cambodia, and Vietnam.

I think east asia is too far for an easy trip (but still better than from the US obviously). The same for India and Sri Lanka.

Compare that to easy access to all of Europe from London, and not too tough to parts of Africa and the near east. I'd prefer Europe, but that is just my call. Also, I think European destinations lend themselves better to weekend visits than in Southeast Asia.

Sheilbh

In terms of the Middle East/North Africa and London the low cost airlines do cheap flights of 3/4 hours to places like Jordan and Morocco.  I really want to go to Jordan, but haven't - if you have the chance now or in the future, Morocco's worth a trip :)
Let's bomb Russia!

lustindarkness

Grand Duke of Lurkdom

katmai

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

dps

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on August 15, 2012, 02:07:30 PM
I don't really find the idea of living in the Far East appealing, so London.

Ditto.  Though if Dublin's in the mix, I might choose it over London.