If you had to choose, would you live in London or Singapore?

Started by MadImmortalMan, August 15, 2012, 02:05:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

If you had to choose, would you live in London or Singapore?

London
27 (79.4%)
Singapore
7 (20.6%)

Total Members Voted: 33

MadImmortalMan

So my wife has transferred departments within the Evil Empire, and that makes it likely that we will be moving some time in the next few years to one of the two. My own skill set is fungible, so I have no worries about being able to find work. I really like the idea of living in either place for a while. Can't decide.

A distant third possibility is Dublin. Which I really like better but I've been there many times now.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Viking

First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Jacob

Personally, I'd chose Singapore at this point of my life. London if I was in my early 20s.

Eddie Teach

I don't really find the idea of living in the Far East appealing, so London.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Maximus

London for the weather. Otherwise both seem overcrowded and overpriced.

garbon

According to this site:
http://www.orientexpat.com/singapore/laws

QuoteHomosexual acts may lead to imprisonment. Kissing between men, for example, is illegal.

There are very strict laws in place that keep Singapore the squeaky clean place it is. The following are prohibited... Smoking in public, chewing gum, spitting in public, littering, jaywalking. Failure to observe these laws will result in stiff fines.

If you have a balcony or garden, be aware that if you have flower pots, or anywhere that collects water and mosquito larvae subsequently breed, you risk being fined as a result.

Choice - no brainer.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Sheilbh

London. I've not been to Singapore and if given a chance I'd move tomorrow, but my impression is that it seems a little like Asia's Switzerland. Very orderly and nice but best for the travel links and (unlike Switzerland, food). From abroad I'd be more excited about Hong Kong or Jakarta, say. But I am ignorant so could well be wrong.
Let's bomb Russia!

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Maximus on August 15, 2012, 02:09:34 PM

Yep, though presumably Microsoft will be throwing enough money at them they can afford some decent digs.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

MadImmortalMan

True, but it's only temporary. Plus an experience.

London seems better for the ability to hop around Europe in our free time. I've never been to Singapore though. People say it's a paradise for good food.

We will most likely get to choose which we want.

"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

alfred russel

Dublin.

London is a great city, but expensive as hell. Are you ready for that?

I wouldn't put off moving to a place because you have been there--you could travel through Europe (and London) easily from Dublin.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Maximus

Quote from: garbon on August 15, 2012, 02:10:49 PM
According to this site:

QuoteHomosexual acts may lead to imprisonment. Kissing between men, for example, is illegal.

There are very strict laws in place that keep Singapore the squeaky clean place it is. The following are prohibited... Smoking in public, chewing gum, spitting in public, littering, jaywalking. Failure to observe these laws will result in stiff fines.

If you have a balcony or garden, be aware that if you have flower pots, or anywhere that collects water and mosquito larvae subsequently breed, you risk being fined as a result.
Only the first paragraph is a negative, not for me personally but in a general principles sense. The rest are positives.

Sheilbh

Expats get generous packages to deal with cost of living difference etc. my company used to do it. American companies pay above the odds because they're convinced that outsourcing the work on that stuff is cheaper. It's really not :lol:
Let's bomb Russia!

alfred russel

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on August 15, 2012, 02:12:25 PM

Yep, though presumably Microsoft will be throwing enough money at them they can afford some decent digs.

If they get a fair cost of living adjustment and housing allowance, then London. Otherwise, they could probably fly out of Dublin to spots throughout Europe on weekends and probably still come out ahead versus London.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Admiral Yi

Definitely London.  The shortcomings of the British are abundant and obvious, but one thing they do have going for them is the art of conversation.

garbon

Quote from: Maximus on August 15, 2012, 02:17:38 PM
Quote from: garbon on August 15, 2012, 02:10:49 PM
According to this site:

Only the first paragraph is a negative, not for me personally but in a general principles sense. The rest are positives.

New York would be a terrible place if we had to wait for every light and could only cross streets at proper intersections.

I don't have any problems with people smoking (as long as not on top of me) nor chewing gum (as long as they don't then spit it on the ground).
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.