[Guardian Op-Ed] I wish my mother had aborted me

Started by garbon, August 15, 2012, 10:13:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

crazy canuck

Someone please link the "Every Sperm is Sacred" bit by Monty Python.

Capetan Mihali

After I started law school, a close friend asked me if he could sue his mother for not having aborted him.  I told him I'd have to do some research.
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

dps

Quote from: Capetan Mihali on August 15, 2012, 03:47:27 PM
After I started law school, a close friend asked me if he could sue his mother for not having aborted him.  I told him I'd have to do some research.

Of course he can sue.  The question is, can he win?

chipwich

This seems to me more like an argument against having children in general and a refusal to accept that the life cycle involves pain.

garbon

Quote from: chipwich on August 15, 2012, 05:48:38 PM
This seems to me more like an argument against having children in general and a refusal to accept that the life cycle involves pain.

Not sure that I agree. After all, her mother might have been okay to raise a child if she had had one later on that was not the result of rape.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

chipwich

From what I can tell from the article, far more of the suffering on her mother was caused by her adult abusers than the child.

Scipio

This article makes no fucking sense.  It is a shitty position paper; it is a shitty persuasive paper.  I am not sure how her mother could have had an abortion under the circumstances described.  For that matter, that sort of situation occurs now every day in places where abortion is legal, easily and cheaply available, and safe. 

It's about as logical as the Paul Ryan budget, or the Affordable Care Act.  It's just fucking trash, and my life is shorter having read it, and having thought about it.
What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt

garbon

Quote from: Scipio on August 15, 2012, 06:16:25 PM
I am not sure how her mother could have had an abortion under the circumstances described. 

:huh:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Scipio

Quote from: garbon on August 15, 2012, 07:07:46 PM
Quote from: Scipio on August 15, 2012, 06:16:25 PM
I am not sure how her mother could have had an abortion under the circumstances described. 

:huh:
Undereducated, in the 1960s, a time when abortion was not widely available in the US, much less free or low cost.  You explain to me how this minor who gave birth to this girl would have even known where and how to get an abortion.
-Jose Canseco

-Every cop, The Wire

-John Hurt

garbon

I think that's kinda the point - her mother could not have had an abortion even if she'd wanted to.  Kinda of like the situation in Mississippi right now.

Scipio

Quote from: garbon on August 15, 2012, 07:56:20 PM
I think that's kinda the point - her mother could not have had an abortion even if she'd wanted to.  Kinda of like the situation in Mississippi right now.
If that's the point, she should've written about that.  It's nowhere to be found in her article.

Sure, it may be implied.  But implication is for subtler work than this.
-Jose Canseco

-Every cop, The Wire

-John Hurt

garbon

Scipio

Quote from: garbon on August 15, 2012, 08:38:47 PM
Somehow I don't think it was written for you.
The inability to contact the audience is the problem of the writer, not the reader.

In the words of David Mamet, "It's got to play in Peoria."
-Jose Canseco

-Every cop, The Wire

-John Hurt

garbon

Quote from: Scipio on August 15, 2012, 08:42:00 PM
The inability to contact the audience is the problem of the writer, not the reader.

You forget that writers target their message to their audience. If you aren't their audience, they don't need to worry about connecting with you.

Scipio

Quote from: garbon on August 15, 2012, 08:44:47 PM
Quote from: Scipio on August 15, 2012, 08:42:00 PM

You forget that writers target their message to their audience. If you aren't their audience, they don't need to worry about connecting with you.
That's a bunch of commie crap, garbon.  You used to be cool, but now, I'm not so sure.
-Jose Canseco

-Every cop, The Wire

-John Hurt