[Guardian Op-Ed] I wish my mother had aborted me

Started by garbon, August 15, 2012, 10:13:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

Targeting a message for an audience is Commie crap? :huh:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

dps

Quote from: garbon on August 15, 2012, 08:38:47 PM
Somehow I don't think it was written for you.

Who is it written for?  Other people who think that they should have been aborted?  Normally, I'd think a piece like this was targetted to voters who are on the fence about abortion laws, which is a group that Scipio might be included in, if the article had been in the US media rather than the UK media.   

I hadn't realized that abortion was that big an issue in the UK in the first place.

DGuller

Quote from: Scipio on August 15, 2012, 06:16:25 PM
it is a shitty persuasive paper.
I think it's it does a very good job persuading the reader to agree with the main premise.  :huh:

garbon

Quote from: dps on August 16, 2012, 10:49:57 AM

Who is it written for?  Other people who think that they should have been aborted?  Normally, I'd think a piece like this was targetted to voters who are on the fence about abortion laws, which is a group that Scipio might be included in, if the article had been in the US media rather than the UK media.   

I hadn't realized that abortion was that big an issue in the UK in the first place.

Here you go it was originally featured here. And the author lives in the US and her examples are about Americans.

http://www.rolereboot.org/about/about

QuoteWe live in a world built on outdated assumptions about men and women's roles. At Role/Reboot, we're trying to understand and embrace the changing realities of all of our lives and support each other. That's why we're more than a magazine—we're also a movement.

We prize the personal narrative and believe that honest storytelling is the most powerful form of consciousness-raising. We believe that storytelling can be a subversive and revolutionary act; it subverts the idea that things have to be the way they are.

We're a group defined mostly by what we are not. We're not the Cleavers or Ozzie and Harriet (nor do we want to be!). We're not the status quo. We are forward-thinking, creative, thoughtful men and women dissatisfied with the limitations of deeply-embedded traditional gender roles. We are creating our own rules. We're naturally a big-tent movement, welcoming folks like breadwinner wives, caregiver fathers, women without children, unmarried couples, people choosing careers typically associated with another gender, folks opting for non-monogamous or non-traditional marriages, men and women learning to negotiate new sexual rules in their intimate lives, and anyone trying to create lives free from the "shoulds" of gender. In short, Role/Reboot is for people ambivalent about the bill of goods they've been sold as a result of being a man or a woman.

Pretty sure I was correct that Scipio is not the intended audience.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

dps

Quote from: garbon on August 16, 2012, 11:08:39 AM
Quote from: dps on August 16, 2012, 10:49:57 AM

Here you go it was originally featured here. And the author lives in the US and her examples are about Americans.

http://www.rolereboot.org/about/about

QuoteWe live in a world built on outdated assumptions about men and women’s roles. At Role/Reboot, we’re trying to understand and embrace the changing realities of all of our lives and support each other. That’s why we’re more than a magazine—we’re also a movement.

We prize the personal narrative and believe that honest storytelling is the most powerful form of consciousness-raising. We believe that storytelling can be a subversive and revolutionary act; it subverts the idea that things have to be the way they are.

We’re a group defined mostly by what we are not. We’re not the Cleavers or Ozzie and Harriet (nor do we want to be!). We’re not the status quo. We are forward-thinking, creative, thoughtful men and women dissatisfied with the limitations of deeply-embedded traditional gender roles. We are creating our own rules. We’re naturally a big-tent movement, welcoming folks like breadwinner wives, caregiver fathers, women without children, unmarried couples, people choosing careers typically associated with another gender, folks opting for non-monogamous or non-traditional marriages, men and women learning to negotiate new sexual rules in their intimate lives, and anyone trying to create lives free from the “shoulds” of gender. In short, Role/Reboot is for people ambivalent about the bill of goods they’ve been sold as a result of being a man or a woman.

Pretty sure I was correct that Scipio is not the intended audience.

Ah, OK.  I was going by the link to the Guardian website. 

So, then this is basically just preaching to the choir.

garbon