News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Guild Wars 2 Roll Call

Started by Martinus, August 13, 2012, 08:53:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Martinus

Have you tried a Thief? They also have a nice Pistol/Pistol set-up, which offers high damage and good CC with AoE blinds etc.

Martinus

Quote from: Solmyr on April 07, 2013, 03:06:48 PM
I'm being tempted to get this game. :unsure: Some of my WoW friends have migrated here recently.

I would strongly recommend it. Not even once, since I started playing back in August, have I even considered going back to WoW.

Only when it comes to end game, WoW may theoretically feel superior, as it has a much more structured raiding experience (whereas in GW2, it's more about world raids) and the lack of WoW-like LFG system for dungeons can be a bit of a pain, but for someone like me, who mainly plays solo, this is a wholly superior game.

The good thing is that there is no subscription fee, so you only pay once.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Martinus on April 08, 2013, 12:10:00 PM
Have you tried a Thief? They also have a nice Pistol/Pistol set-up, which offers high damage and good CC with AoE blinds etc.

Thief was one of the first characters had.  It was great fun.  The p/p mechanics of the engineer are quite different.  Where the Theif depends on controling type effects the engineer is all about aoe condition damage.

Solmyr

I haven't played WoW since I went through MoP quests once, last fall. Raids don't really interest me, if I played it I would be either solo or with a small group of friends.

Is the tank/healer/dps holy trinity still in, with no way of getting around it?

Also a bit worried about how my system will handle it.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Solmyr on April 08, 2013, 12:30:15 PM
Is the tank/healer/dps holy trinity still in, with no way of getting around it?

Completely gone.

You should try it. Loads of fun.  It removed all the MMO conventions that most bothered everyone.  No question hubs, no stealing of mobs, resources etc.  Easy travel.  You can move and use skills at the same time etc etc etc.  Once you play it you will have a hard/impossible time going back to WoW.

katmai

Can't tell as you won't add me as friend you ass
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Solmyr

Oh, there's no danger of me going back to WoW (finally uninstalled it last week). Just not sure how much time I have for another MMO (I'm only playing SWTOR to see the stories).

crazy canuck

Quote from: Solmyr on April 08, 2013, 01:32:32 PM
Oh, there's no danger of me going back to WoW (finally uninstalled it last week). Just not sure how much time I have for another MMO (I'm only playing SWTOR to see the stories).

Its not a time sink like wow either.  Play as little or as often as you want.

crazy canuck

Quote from: katmai on April 08, 2013, 01:11:53 PM

Mainly because I cant quite figure out how to do it or how to figure out what my account name is (the number part after the name that is).

katmai

:lol:

well if i know your name before the number i can find you silly cc

Martinus

Yeah, as others said, GW2 is hailed as the MMORPG for casual gamers. You can log on just about any time, and there is bound to be an event going on around. Most events (except the rare - and easily avoidable - group events) can be completed solo - they just scale in strength depending on a number of people pursuing them.

If, like me, you want to stay on top, the mechanics out there is to complete daily/monthly achievements - but unlike WoW, they involve completing 5 out of 10 goals (which change daily for the daily achievements and monthly for the monthly achievements) and are flexible, with things like kill X number of mobs, or kill X different mobs, or gain a level, or complete X events (with rewards/tokens being the same across the board - so you are not forced to grind the particular area every day), and different goals of a single achievement can be completed on different characters (the achievements are account-wide, so say, in order to complete your daily, you can do 3 goals on one character, and 2 other goals on another character, and get the daily reward).

Martinus

Quote from: crazy canuck on April 08, 2013, 03:38:00 PM
Quote from: katmai on April 08, 2013, 01:11:53 PM

Mainly because I cant quite figure out how to do it or how to figure out what my account name is (the number part after the name that is).

Why don't you join the Languish semi-defunct guild? :P

katmai

Okay so since tried out Guardian, Elementalist, Mesmer and Thief since coming back, would have to say the Thief has been most fun

Martinus

Quote from: katmai on April 09, 2013, 04:25:27 AM
Okay so since tried out Guardian, Elementalist, Mesmer and Thief since coming back, would have to say the Thief has been most fun

I am willing to agree but my Thief also seems very squishy. At least as an Elementalist, I can switch to Earth or Water and hope to survive - when I'm out of dodges on my Thief and the enemies get upper hand, it's usually respawn time.

Try a warrior as well, by the way - it's a very different play style to a guardian, contrary to what you may expect, especially if you use a rifle.

Martinus

By the way, what weapons are you using on your Thief?