News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Guild Wars 2 Roll Call

Started by Martinus, August 13, 2012, 08:53:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sbr

Yep, that seems to be the consenus as far as "broken" classes goes:  Ranger, Engi and Necro.

I have played Engi for mayba an hour, Necro for a bit longer but I didn't even hit level 5, and a level 38 Ranger that has sat on the shelf for about a month or so, so I am no where near an expert.

I do know that they can compete in almost all of the PvE environments in the game.  They may have trouble in higher level Fractals (I haven't gone past 10 yet), or in Arah but I don't know because I have no first hand experience.  Last week sometime I ran Honor of the Waves (level 76 dungeon) explorable mode, with my Guardian, a guildie's Mesmer, a PUG Thief, PUG Necro, and PUG Ranger.  We went through it without too much trouble, I probably had the most but with all of the other squishies in the party I took more chances than I normally would.

If played well they can contribute to a good party and do most things, the problem is is that there is usually another class (Warrior) can do everything those classes can do but better, and more.

Martinus

I need to find a good guild.

I am now playing a guardian, an elementalist and a thief and all are a blast.

sbr

The Charr Elementalist I started in early September just hit 80 recently, after sitting on the shelf for a long time.  I am now trying to get him geared up properly.  I think I am going to use almost all Citadel of Flame gear.  I don't like the shoulder armor much but the rest is pretty nice.  He is also level 400 Jeweler and Articifer so he can craft his own weapons and trinkets.

I also started a Sylvari Thief recently.  I grinded out 400 levels of Cooking for a couple of gold and went from level 8 to 20 in about 30 minutes of work (not counting the time waiting for stuff from the TP).  He is almost level 30 now, I will level him to ~35 from Personal STory and world exploration, then start running him in dungeons with guildies.

I still use my little blonde Barbie Guardian a lot in dungeon runs and trying to get to 100% world exploration with her; I am at about 80% now but outside of some WvW stuff it is all low level stuff left to do.  I finished all 3 Orr regions shortly after turning 80 late last year, and before they changed the zones to reduce the staggering number of Risen you had to avoid. :mad:  She is fully stocked in Exotics but I am still working on getting the proper skins for her armor.  I need to run Arah at least twice more to get the Breastplate I want, then I just need to find some shoulder armor and a helm that works with her look.

I went on an Unidentified Dye opening spree a while back and within a couple of  minutes got both White and Cotton Candy dyes.  They were worth a lot of coin but they were too perfect for her. :D

crazy canuck

I recently retried the elemental with a d/d set up.  For some reason I handnt really tried that before.  Now I know why people like elementalists so much.

frunk

I prefer the extra standoffishness of Scepter/Dagger, but d/d is quite good as well.

crazy canuck

Quote from: frunk on April 03, 2013, 11:39:25 AM
I prefer the extra standoffishness of Scepter/Dagger, but d/d is quite good as well.

That is the setup I used before.  I like the d/d because of the greater mobility.

sbr

I prefer sceptre/dagger also but mostly due to familiarity and muscle memory.  I've tried to get used to d/d as I solo and explore Orr but whenever the going gets tough or I do a dungeon I always end up switching back

I want to like staff too, but can't get into that either.

Berkut

I had given up on my Ranger, but I recently got myself a Jaguar, and re-specced heavily into the various stuff that gives my pet more damage and survivability.

The Jaguar has a stealth mode, where he can goi stealth for 6 seconds, even in the middle of a fight. When he attacks from stealth, get gets a +100% damage bonus, and with my traists I can give him another 40%, and with a skill can give him a +60% on next attack.

It makes for a rather fun opening attack, when my pet can nail the target from stealth for half their total hit pool. And he is MUCH more survivable as well. Been having some fun with my Ranger again.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

crazy canuck

I try to play the Ranger every once in a while.  After a break it is fun but their options are pretty limited and it starts getting boring.  I think you are right about speccing into the pet boosting abilities - that seems to be the way to go.

katmai

So updated my GW2 files and I've never played anything beyond lvl 2 other than Ranger, what do you guys suggest for someone coming to game again?
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

frunk

Quote from: katmai on April 04, 2013, 05:30:20 AM
So updated my GW2 files and I've never played anything beyond lvl 2 other than Ranger, what do you guys suggest for someone coming to game again?

easy but fun: Guardian, Thief
challenging but rewarding: Elementalist, Mesmer
challenging and not very rewarding: Engineer
no opinion but heard bad things: Necromancer
no opinion but heard good things: Warrior

Guardian: Excellent at melee, very tough and resilient
Thief: More fragile than Guardian but still good at melee and has excellent ranged AoE
Elementalist: Excellent AoE (fire), movement (air), healing (water) and condition damage (earth) all from the same weapon.  It takes a while to manage the switches however.
Mesmer: Excellent assortment of ranged choices, melee will generally be a hit and run affair.  Clone management can be tricky.
Engineer: Cool gadgets and turrets and weapons that don't really gel together very well.

katmai

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Martinus

For what it's worth, my five slots are currently filled with guardian, thief, elementalist, mesmer and warrior and like all of them.

Engineer, necromancer and ranger are considered broken to various degree.

Solmyr

I'm being tempted to get this game. :unsure: Some of my WoW friends have migrated here recently.

crazy canuck

Given the recent changes to the Engineer and despite and the complaining on the forums I decided to take a break from my elementalist - which I am really enjoying.  And you know what?  The Engineer is a lot of fun with a pistol/postol set up with turrets.  Its early going yet and I have only played in PvE but this thing can mow through the mobs quickly.

However, I can see that there is going to be an issue in dungeons and the lack of ability to control what the turrets target.  I fear it will be like the Hunters in WoW who were always aggroing things they shouldnt.