PSA: Run! Hide! Fight! Surviving an Active Shooter Event.

Started by Syt, August 11, 2012, 12:42:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dps

Quote from: jimmy olsen on August 13, 2012, 11:33:20 PM
Quote from: Barrister on August 13, 2012, 12:05:10 PM
Quote from: Scipio on August 13, 2012, 11:54:51 AM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on August 12, 2012, 11:41:23 AM
Active shooter: typical unnecessary over-wrought Cop Speak that makes it sound more important, and less literate, than it needs to be.  That's all it is.

"At which time we approached the suspect vehicle in question."
"You mean, you walked up to the car?"

"I together with Officer X and Officer Y seized the suspect baggy of alleged marijuana."

Sadly its us lawyers that make them talk that way. :(

"walked up to the car" - which car is that?  What is a car anyways?  I frequently have an officer describe pulling over a, say, F-150.  I then have to ask "Is a Ford F-150 a motor vehicle"? :rolleyes:

What other F-150s are out there?

You know, if you have jurors that aren't into automobiles at all, you might have to ask the officer to clarify what an F-150 is.  But if you've got jurors who don't know what a car is, you might as well give up.

Razgovory

Maybe it's so people won't confuse it with a F-15 O variant.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Barrister

Quote from: dps on August 14, 2012, 12:45:57 PM
Quote from: Barrister on August 13, 2012, 12:05:10 PM
Quote from: Scipio on August 13, 2012, 11:54:51 AM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on August 12, 2012, 11:41:23 AM
Active shooter: typical unnecessary over-wrought Cop Speak that makes it sound more important, and less literate, than it needs to be.  That's all it is.

"At which time we approached the suspect vehicle in question."
"You mean, you walked up to the car?"

"I together with Officer X and Officer Y seized the suspect baggy of alleged marijuana."

Sadly its us lawyers that make them talk that way. :(

"walked up to the car" - which car is that?  What is a car anyways?  I frequently have an officer describe pulling over a, say, F-150.  I then have to ask "Is a Ford F-150 a motor vehicle"? :rolleyes:

You know, if you have jurors that aren't into automobiles at all, you might have to ask the officer to clarify what an F-150 is.  But if you've got jurors who don't know what a car is, you might as well give up.

The thing is...

the statute is worded that it is against the law to drive a motor vehicle while drunk.  It doesn't use the word car.  And there are just enough pinhead judges who will say "well he talked about a "car" - how do I know it was a motor vehicle?  Maybe it was a horse-drawn carriage?" that it's safest to ask "and was that a motor vehicle?".
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

dps

Quote from: Barrister on August 14, 2012, 01:14:12 PM

The thing is...

the statute is worded that it is against the law to drive a motor vehicle while drunk.  It doesn't use the word car.  And there are just enough pinhead judges who will say "well he talked about a "car" - how do I know it was a motor vehicle?  Maybe it was a horse-drawn carriage?" that it's safest to ask "and was that a motor vehicle?".

Just out of curiosity, are you talking about members of the jury, or about judges?

Barrister

Quote from: dps on August 14, 2012, 03:40:26 PM

The thing is...

Just out of curiosity, are you talking about members of the jury, or about judges?

Judges.

There is a minority of judges who really view law as just some enormous game.  It isn't about the search for truth", but rather whether or not the Crown has complied with a whole series of technicalities.

I once had a case thrown out because my officer used an "Approved Screening Device" and called it an "AlcoSensor", but the judge felt that because the list of Approved Screening Devices in the Code didn't have an "AlcoSensor", but only an "AlcoSensor IV DWF" listed, I hadn't proven that the cop used the right kind of device.

I had to go to the Court of Appeal, which said you don't need to name the precise make and model, just saying it is an "Approved Screening Device" is enough.  But heaven help you if your cop calls it an "Approved Device" or a "Screening Device".

Juries are much less likely to buy into this kind of ultra-technical argument.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Barrister on August 14, 2012, 03:57:44 PM
But heaven help you if your cop calls it an "Approved Device" or a "Screening Device".

Well yeah.

If is for the finder of fact to decide if the device used is an approved device under the act.  The officer is to give evidence as to what device he used and then the judge decides whether that device is an approved device.

Dont get lazy counsel!

dps

Quote from: Barrister on August 14, 2012, 03:57:44 PM
Quote from: dps on August 14, 2012, 03:40:26 PM

The thing is...

Judges.

There is a minority of judges who really view law as just some enormous game.  It isn't about the search for truth", but rather whether or not the Crown has complied with a whole series of technicalities.

I once had a case thrown out because my officer used an "Approved Screening Device" and called it an "AlcoSensor", but the judge felt that because the list of Approved Screening Devices in the Code didn't have an "AlcoSensor", but only an "AlcoSensor IV DWF" listed, I hadn't proven that the cop used the right kind of device.

I had to go to the Court of Appeal, which said you don't need to name the precise make and model, just saying it is an "Approved Screening Device" is enough.  But heaven help you if your cop calls it an "Approved Device" or a "Screening Device".

Juries are much less likely to buy into this kind of ultra-technical argument.

That's kind of what I thought, which was why I asked the question.  It didn't sound like run-of-the-mill stupidity, but the kind of stupidity you only get after several years of law school.

Stuff like this is why people talk about "the death of common sense" in the modern legal system.

Martinus

Quote from: Siege on August 12, 2012, 01:45:03 AM
We should ban all guns in the hole wold!!!!11111

If everyone carried a gun, noone would get shot!!!11111

dps

Quote from: Martinus on August 15, 2012, 10:14:42 AM

If I had a gun and no one else did, I could pick who gets shot.

Martinus

Quote from: dps on August 15, 2012, 11:23:30 AM

Do you get turned on by playing the God?  :)

dps

Quote from: Martinus on August 15, 2012, 12:03:21 PM
Quote from: dps on August 15, 2012, 11:23:30 AM

Do you get turned on by playing the God?  :)

Not really, but if only one person can have a gun, I trust me with it more than anybody else I know.