PSA: Run! Hide! Fight! Surviving an Active Shooter Event.

Started by Syt, August 11, 2012, 12:42:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Razgovory on August 12, 2012, 05:00:12 PM
Well then he's not a shooter if he's inactive, is he?

Sure, if you want to make the distinction between shooter events and former shooter events that would work too.  Although I don't see how that's an improvement over active shooter event.

Razgovory

Well the word "event" seems to describe an occurrence.  A guy sitting in a jail cell or six feet under can hardly be described as a "shooter event".  Perhaps the terms "Mass shooting", and describing the guy as a "spree killer" would be better.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

dps

I think the term is basically meant to differentiate a mass shooting from someone walking into a location, shooting a particular individual, and then either fleeing, surrendering, or killing themselves.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Razgovory on August 12, 2012, 06:39:15 PM
Well the word "event" seems to describe an occurrence.  A guy sitting in a jail cell or six feet under can hardly be described as a "shooter event".  Perhaps the terms "Mass shooting", and describing the guy as a "spree killer" would be better.

As dps pointed out, active indicates that it is an ongoing event. 

Razgovory

Quote from: Admiral Yi on August 12, 2012, 08:18:01 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on August 12, 2012, 06:39:15 PM

As dps pointed out, active indicates that it is an ongoing event.

What would an inactive event be called?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Valdemar

:lmfao:

reading this in one go, this is a perfect conversation about nothing.. but it made me chuckle  :lol:

V

Scipio

Quote from: CountDeMoney on August 12, 2012, 11:41:23 AM
Active shooter: typical unnecessary over-wrought Cop Speak that makes it sound more important, and less literate, than it needs to be.  That's all it is.

"At which time we approached the suspect vehicle in question."
"You mean, you walked up to the car?"

"I together with Officer X and Officer Y seized the suspect baggy of alleged marijuana."
What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt

Barrister

Quote from: Scipio on August 13, 2012, 11:54:51 AM
Active shooter: typical unnecessary over-wrought Cop Speak that makes it sound more important, and less literate, than it needs to be.  That's all it is.

"I together with Officer X and Officer Y seized the suspect baggy of alleged marijuana."

Sadly its us lawyers that make them talk that way. :(

"walked up to the car" - which car is that?  What is a car anyways?  I frequently have an officer describe pulling over a, say, F-150.  I then have to ask "Is a Ford F-150 a motor vehicle"? :rolleyes:

As for alleged marijuana, if they just said marijuana the defence lawyer would certainly point out the officer didn't know for sure it was marijuana at the time...
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Neil

See?  The legal system ruins absolutely everything it comes into contact with.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Barrister on August 13, 2012, 12:05:10 PM

"walked up to the car" - which car is that?  What is a car anyways?  I frequently have an officer describe pulling over a, say, F-150.  I then have to ask "Is a Ford F-150 a motor vehicle"? :rolleyes:

As for alleged marijuana, if they just said marijuana the defence lawyer would certainly point out the officer didn't know for sure it was marijuana at the time...

Yes, but in your defense, they carry it off into orbit a bit themselves.

Scipio

I prefer "a baggy containing a substance believed at the time to be marijuana."  Alleged marijuana sounds like you didn't pass 6th grade.
What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt

jimmy olsen

What other F-150s are out there?
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

garbon

Guy in vid reminded me of Siege. Also think it would have been a good idea to knock out red headed bitch who wouldn't stop making noise.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.