PSA: Run! Hide! Fight! Surviving an Active Shooter Event.

Started by Syt, August 11, 2012, 12:42:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

11B4V

Quote from: Phillip V on August 11, 2012, 02:56:47 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on August 11, 2012, 02:54:49 PM
Quote from: Phillip V on August 11, 2012, 02:02:08 PM
Quote from: Neil on August 11, 2012, 01:49:46 PM
Wouldn't bringing a gun to work get you fired?
Not unless you fire first.

Maybe that's the shooter in the video is doing.
Well ideally, people should be educated on preventing this crap like identifying and quarantining disgruntled workers, the likeliest source of workplace violence. Even further, K-12 education should focus on mental/emotional training and humanistic ethics cultivation.

That sounds like liberal hippie BS.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Barrister

Quote from: Neil on August 11, 2012, 06:49:52 PM
Quote from: mongers on August 11, 2012, 04:23:45 PM
Quote from: Syt on August 11, 2012, 12:42:33 PM
Courtesy the City of Houston:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=U5FxMvpcsSI#!

Watched the first 30 seconds, it's a comedy sketch isn't it.
All the response videos are awesome.  Thank heaven that gun nuts are few and far between up here, and haven't got a huge and powerful lobby group for their antisocial hobby.
You do know the "gun nuts" up here did eventually suceed in getting the gun registry abolished...
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Siege

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

Neil

Quote from: Barrister on August 12, 2012, 01:40:53 AM
You do know the "gun nuts" up here did eventually suceed in getting the gun registry abolished...
The long gun registry?  I'm a bit more sympathetic to them than I am for people who have to carry handguns, whose only purpose is to murder, on them at all times.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Phillip V

Quote from: 11B4V on August 12, 2012, 01:15:36 AM
Quote from: Phillip V on August 11, 2012, 02:56:47 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on August 11, 2012, 02:54:49 PM
Quote from: Phillip V on August 11, 2012, 02:02:08 PM
Quote from: Neil on August 11, 2012, 01:49:46 PM
Wouldn't bringing a gun to work get you fired?
Not unless you fire first.

Maybe that's the shooter in the video is doing.
Well ideally, people should be educated on preventing this crap like identifying and quarantining disgruntled workers, the likeliest source of workplace violence. Even further, K-12 education should focus on mental/emotional training and humanistic ethics cultivation.

That sounds like liberal hippie BS.
Nah, it's not about making everyone a feel-good winner for doing no work.

Tonitrus

Quote from: Neil on August 12, 2012, 07:47:31 AM
Quote from: Barrister on August 12, 2012, 01:40:53 AM
The long gun registry?  I'm a bit more sympathetic to them than I am for people who have to carry handguns, whose only purpose is to murder, on them at all times.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1zUGd-VC3wk

Syt

By the way, why is it called an "active shooter event"? To differentiate it from "passive shooter events"?
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Neil

I think because the shooter is moving around and hunting people.  Compare that to guys who just go up in a bell tower, or guys who just stand in place and spray bullets around.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Tonitrus

I believe the term came about after that officer shot up Fort Hood.  "Active shooter" sounds like the kind of stupid terminology the Army would come up with.

Syt

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Active_shooter

QuoteAn active shooter is defined as "... an armed person who has used deadly physical force on other persons and continues to do so while having unrestricted access to additional victims."[1]

The definition includes so-called "school shootings" and "snipers", but not usually suicide bombers. Active shooters have caused a paradigm shift in law enforcement training and tactics, especially as these persons do not necessarily expect to escape or even survive these situations.[2]

[...]

1. ^ a b "Chapter 7". Sheriff's Office Policy and Procedure Manual. Colorado Springs, Colorado, USA: El Paso County Sheriff's Office. 2004-01-01.
2. ^ a b Scanlon, James J. (July/August 2001). "Active Shooter Situations: What do we do now?!!". North American SWAT Training Association.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

CountDeMoney

Active shooter: typical unnecessary over-wrought Cop Speak that makes it sound more important, and less literate, than it needs to be.  That's all it is.

"At which time we approached the suspect vehicle in question."
"You mean, you walked up to the car?"

Admiral Yi

Either active or ongoing.  Conveys useful information.

Razgovory

I think the word "shooter" indicates that he's active.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Admiral Yi

The Ft. Hood shooter has been inactive for some time, just to mention one.

Razgovory

Quote from: Admiral Yi on August 12, 2012, 04:57:53 PM
The Ft. Hood shooter has been inactive for some time, just to mention one.

Well then he's not a shooter if he's inactive, is he?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017