News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

NCAA Hoops 2012

Started by PDH, August 10, 2012, 08:38:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CountDeMoney

And all this time, I figured a Jesuit Pope was a sign.  D'oh.  I blame Yi for not contributing to his Alumni Association.

katmai

I blame Scips for being a heretic!
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

derspiess

Quote from: CountDeMoney on March 23, 2013, 08:27:39 AM
And all this time, I figured a Jesuit Pope was a sign.  D'oh.  I blame Yi for not contributing to his Alumni Association.

Blame JT3 for telling his kids to shoot desperation threes when there was plenty of time for them to focus on higher % shots and solid D to get back into the game.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

derspiess

Dang, Michigan is playing like a Final 4 team right now.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Berkut

Quote from: katmai on March 23, 2013, 08:25:46 AM
Actually them and 'Zona are two teams left I could see rooting for.

You are a good man.

Zona is a good story this year as well.

Parrom makes a big comeback from being shot, Miller is always a guy who is easy to like, the freshman bigs who are developing nicely...
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Scipio

It's not my fault.  I actually picked them to lose this game.

Then I changed my bracket out of misplaced loyalty.

Fucking chokers, the lot of them.
What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt

Eddie Teach

Quote from: fahdiz on March 21, 2013, 08:50:55 PM
Quote from: sbr on March 21, 2013, 08:49:18 PM
I have a soft spot for winning football programs.  :P

Go Ducks!

:lol:

I'm conflicted. The Ducks are from the state in which I reside. But they are also basically the Yankees of college football.

Yeah, pass.

Notre Dame is the Yankees of college football.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Admiral Yi

I was never convinced that GU was that good a team this year.

They had no post play.  Porter is not a post up guy, and while Lubick and Hopkins are decent on the boards and defensively neither is an offensive threat.

This weakness didn't show so much against man to man teams because GU runs backdoor cuts really, really well, and a big thug stationed on the block actually interferes with cutters.

But against zone teams GU had no offensive options except passing eight times around the perimeter and hoisting a 3 at the shot clock.

I also think that JT3's basketball philosophy and offensive system undercuts the athletic advantage GU often had. 
Against Florida GC for example.  The Princeton offense was designed for five middle sized white guys to play competitively with powerhouses.  But it also meant that GU's Mandingo warriors (especially in the back court) felt constrained about breaking down defenses with street ball.

Given the mystique of the Thompson name at GU and what I consider GU's sense of loyalty I'm pretty sure JT3's job is safe as long as he wants it.  But GU is not going to be a truly competitive team (as opposed to a team that can catch a hot streak when it hits 3's) until JT3 recruits quality big men, gets creative on zone offense, and takes the lid off his players.

Thank you and God Bless.  Hoya Saxa.  Death to the unions.

dps

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on March 23, 2013, 03:22:18 PM

Go Ducks!

I'm conflicted. The Ducks are from the state in which I reside. But they are also basically the Yankees of college football.

Yeah, pass.

Yeah, I'd say that fits reasonably well.  The Ducks are more like a college version of the Dallas Cowboys--crass, but loaded with new money (at least, I assume that Jerry Jones is loaded).

fhdz

Quote from: dps on March 23, 2013, 04:46:08 PM
Quote from: Peter Wiggin on March 23, 2013, 03:22:18 PM

Go Ducks!

Yeah, pass.

Yeah, I'd say that fits reasonably well.  The Ducks are more like a college version of the Dallas Cowboys--crass, but loaded with new money (at least, I assume that Jerry Jones is loaded).

The main difference being that the Ducks win a lot.

You know, like the Yankees.
and the horse you rode in on

Eddie Teach

The Ducks have never won it all. Sorry, the choices are Notre Dame, Alabama, and maybe USC and Ohio St. Alabama doesn't have the elitism or long history of media over-hype on their side. They're a poor fit for a New York franchise. The others just haven't won enough. Notre Dame it is.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 23, 2013, 03:33:02 PM
Thank you and God Bless.  Hoya Saxa.  Death to the unions.

:lol: :mad:

I really thought he'd let the big uglies loose for the tourney and let them play some physical street ball with the early seeds, and then get more conservative later on in the bracket.  Sucks.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on March 23, 2013, 05:17:58 PM
The Ducks have never won it all. Sorry, the choices are Notre Dame, Alabama, and maybe USC and Ohio St. Alabama doesn't have the elitism or long history of media over-hype on their side. They're a poor fit for a New York franchise. The others just haven't won enough. Notre Dame it is.

So what you're saying is, last year aside, Notre Dame has been going through the Bucky Dent years since 1989?

Berkut

Wow, that was a tough match up against those smart kids.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

derspiess