And we're back!

Main Menu

Europa Universalis IV announced

Started by Octavian, August 10, 2012, 10:05:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DGuller

Quote from: Solmyr on January 07, 2015, 04:42:39 PM
Looks like budding drama in there.
Lol at Paradox.  Calling someone a cunt and telling them to fuck off is ban-worthy?  Languish would be down to Minsky and Monoriu within a day with such moderation policy.

Josephus

My Timurid/Mughal game is having a bit of a setback. A peasant uprising followed by several nationalist rebellions has forced me to concede a few provinces. Shortly thereafter, the persians, my not-so-loyal vassal decided to fight for their independence. So I'm currently involved in a seemingly protracted war with them, my manpower down to nothing.

All this is not a complaint. Defiinitely a fun game.

Though I'm not sure how to end this stupid war. I offered them independence, you'd think they'd be happy with that.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

dps

Quote from: DGuller on January 07, 2015, 08:12:25 PM
Lol at Paradox.  Calling someone a cunt and telling them to fuck off is ban-worthy?  Languish would be down to Minsky and Monoriu within a day with such moderation policy.

Though it wasn't necessarily about name-calling in specific, the moderation policy at Paradox in general is why a lot of us came here in the first place.

Josephus

Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Viking

Quote from: DGuller on January 07, 2015, 08:12:25 PM

BBspoon is a bit of a hot head and yes, calling Fruits an "utter cunt" was almost certainly the reason he got banned, this time...Fruits gets one last chance as Novgorod.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Viking

Every session one guy does a list of players ranking them in "tiers" of power. Note, I am Castille and the Ranker is England.

Quote from: levithan123;18686165TIERS ARE HERE AT LAST

Super Powers - Able to exert influence on Multiple spheres of influence

Castille - The highest economy out of the players, while also having one of the largest standing armies, and one of the largest max manpowers, all of this combined with exploration and western technology makes Castille the premier power at the moment. Able to exert influence in Iberia, France, the Med and possibly the North sea makes Castille a Super power.

Great Powers - Hegemon in there sphere of influence and able to exert some power over those nearby.

England - With the vassal armies it is practically impossible for anyone to invade Britain currently, even those nations which have naval superiority in warships would not be able to build up to the drop capacity or the army required to kill England's army (12,000~) when combined with the vassal armies (3 x 6,000) that being said England is not in the same tier as castille due to the overall weaker position making him weaker in affecting other players decisions, but once integration of vassals occurs and the quelling of the Irish will be in a similar position to Castille. Currently Hegemon over the British Isles, and able to exert limited influence In France, the Lowlands and the North sea

Syria - With the vassalization of the mameluk sultanate Syria is a very strong power and is the great power of the med but is also like england unable to exert his influence outside of that area. makes Syria a very strong power and with room to grow.

Major Powers - A very strong player in there region but not the hegemon.

Poland -  Doing very very well and is strong and economically sound with lots of room to expand, did make a small goof up with lithuania but I believe the situation is recoverable. Overall this country will move forward and effectively.

Hansa - The portugal of the north except he has a strong land army, and a slightly weaker war fleet, over all he's very strong and set to become stronger.

Portugal - A very strong economy despite his size, but with a small army, his land forces are very weak, he makes up for this with a competitive navy, and unless you are allowed to march

Byzantium - Very strong, very awesome, and the purple phoenix overall has beaten up serbia, and is strong and has a degree of hegemony over the straits of marmara, I think he is in a position to move into Anatola but will overall not be in the great powers list until he does so.

Regional Powers - A regional contender

Teutonic Order - I won't lie... I thought he was dead, turns out he wasn't and as such he has pulled back and is in a position where he might just make something of himself.

Ruthenia - Came back from the edge of the abyss and kicked crimeas ass (Kinda it was a white peace) which proves they are currently almost exactly on par, which is why they share a spot just here in the regional list.

Crimea - You kicked Ruthenia in the face once, but you went for that second kick over shot, tripped yourself over and then white peaced this why you are only a regional power not something more.

Bourbonnais - A middling to weak economy, but with decent manpower and a sizeable army make him a strong military power on land, but with the lack of a navy, and the lack of a strong army to back him up is overall fairly weak.

Brandenburg - Almost dead par with switzerland as we currently speak.

Switzerland - Middle of the way like the other people in this tier, I would imagine he is stronger than Provence and Lorraine but weaker than Bohemia and Bourbonnais, hence his positioning this is a tough one to call however. Invading switzerland is tough and economically he isn't very powerful.

Morrocco - Yeah so hes a regional power, and wears funny hats.

Tunisia - Has slightly different funny hats and lives in a slightly different region, once either of these people do something magnificent I will give them due credit.

Bohemia - Is on a bit of a sticky wicket but is probably stronger than switzerland once he has recovered.

Ethiopia - So he has a bit of africa and not many other people live there this makes him pretty strong.

Holland - Had a lot of setbacks this session with a very large war involving most of his neighbours, but was happily bailed out by lorraine and later England, this has secured holland but perhaps at what cost. Economically and militarily is weaker than Bourbonnais, but is not what I would deem a 'Minor power'

Persia - Controls the gateway to india this makes him awesome, and on his way to becoming a stronger power.

Kazan - I have no real opinion, he is in this area somewhere.

Novgorod - Is weak due to the lack of a player leading the nation for sometime but is a fairly strong regional player in the russia area, stronger than sweden but weaker than poland, and probably on par with the teutonic order.

Lorraine - Almost the same carbon copy as Holland, except without the opportunities to trade and expand his economy through that route, but his clever diplomatic policy has ensured him a slice of the rhineland and looks set to improve his strength.

Hungary - Goes somewhere in this list and is basically much like the others just he happens to be in the balkans, and the scenery is a bit different there.

Naples - If I had to place a bet on who would win between venice and naples currently I'd go with Naples or a draw, but it'd be tight either way and I prefer purple so he gets to go one slot up.

Venice - Made some expansion into Egypt but overall does not seem to be in the position of strength he could be in at the moment especially considering his navy which is the lifeblood of his country is very sub par.

Minor Powers. - The weakest of the weak

Provence - Everything that Bourbonnais is but weaker (with exception to his naval forces this guy actually has some boats) that being said Provence is generally speaking weak.

Sweden - What can I say other than there is currently a Shaman in charge of the annual stockholm religious meetings, consequently rebels seem to be a bit of an issue.

Najd - A fairly minor power if he can control the whole of Arabia might move up a tier.

Knights - Basically Rhodes, and Basically the weakest person on the map.

Gothia Powers - Groogy

Gothia - Groogy wanted a tier of his own... he got one.

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Viking

The Reign in Spain Part Dos 1461 - 1477

This session was rather quiet. Galicia was added to Castille, Barcelona to aragon, though aragon lost cuenca and murcia to rebels. They have cores so they will be taken back.

Portugal was given assistance vs morocco paying back portugals assistance vs granada earlier. Granada was also annexed, but seriously, that was always gonna happen. Spent the last 5 or so years in a regency after my 3/3/5 heir died and was replaced by a 3/2/4 (who will be 5/2/4 after his education).

The azores were colonized by spain and two barques have been running shuttle traffic to the carribean exploring. This started in 1474 so when the carribean unlocks I will have 24 years before the discoveries spread. Invested my money with some players. One had success, the other two were not successes.

Having spent much of the session in a regency not much could be done. I spent the time getting back my manpower up and getting my army to full size.

Map of the world:

AARs start here:

http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?826165-Primi-Pauci-et-Intrepedi-VI-Tuesdays-20-00-23-00&p=18707606&viewfull=1#post18707606

Basically Novgorod died, the mameluk player again, he was flinging insults around towards the end, so he won't be coming back.

Brandenburg jumped Poland and took lots of provinces, BB was then jumped by a coalition of Hansa and TO and eventually Poland on a stabdow and was force to release pommerania and cancel his vassalages. Both the poland and BB player resigned their countires are are Lan Xian and Jaunpur respectively.

After some backstabbery Provence was attacked by Lorraine supported by France. France then got a peasants war and was attacked by Lorraine. Lorraine looks well on his way to forming france.

England got the war of the roses and is in a bit of trouble, his queen didn't get an heir.

Switzerland expanded in italy. Provence had rebel trouble and lost savoyard provinces which switzerland took.

Crimea and Golden Horde did sequential 1v1 wars vs ruthenia to some success.

Golden Horde and TO partitioned Novgorod, which is now a TO vassal.

Georgia attacked Persia with smaller numbers but won on skill, eventually driving the persia player into taking 60 loans to protect 1 province? Some people have to learn how to lose with dignity.

Syria jumped Najd and who was supported by Ethiopia with Syria winning pretty easily. Then with Venice in trouble due to egyptian rebels in alex and teh canal region those provines defecteed to syria, given that mameluks were a vassal. Venice and Syria went to war over these provinces. Syria beat the venetian fleet and bohemia jumped on venice resulting in venice being all capped. Not sure if he can be vassalized, but in any case, the player has left the country (the guy who got banned on PDS).

Naples and Venice attacked Tunisia who started with severe debt problems, taking the islands and two ports in north africa for naples.

The new players in Bahamanis and Jaunpur went to war after Jaunpur vassalized all the indian minors between them. Apparently Bahamanis won, bassed on their banter in Teamspeak.

garbon

So how does that work? You ruin a country and are given a chance to ruin another?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Josephus

I'm convinced the AI is able to move its units around the board quicker than I can. :mad:
Civis Romanus Sum

DGuller

Quote from: garbon on January 13, 2015, 06:00:28 PM
So how does that work? You ruin a country and are given a chance to ruin another?
To be fair, with 32 players, you don't need to ruin your country.  Other players can do it for you.

Razgovory

There is a lot of Jumping in this game.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Tamas

So Viking, you are the GM but you are also playing? What could happen.

Viking

Quote from: Tamas on January 14, 2015, 04:57:36 AM
So Viking, you are the GM but you are also playing? What could happen.

Yes, I am GM and I am playing and my country is the largest and most powerful one now and I decided who gets what country. So, yes, nothing could possibly happen. It helps to keep the rules non-subjective and to be as fair as possible and when making decision which involve me consulting the co-GM and other players. The co-GM also has total veto power over any GM'ing decision I make.

Despite DGullers opinion that the rules are long and complex they are simple, absolute and objective. No need for numbers and math and GM judgement. Plus over half the people in the game are people I know and have played with these rules before so they all assist in enforcing them.

It's working fine, most of my GMing has been dealing with fruits and explaining the rules to players new to them. So GMing hasn't been dramatic at all.

crazy canuck

Viking, if the rules are  "simple, absolute and objective" why is there also a need to be "fair".  It should just be a matter of doing whatever the simple, absolute and objective rule compels the players to do and everyone would immediately understand that the outcome is dictated by the rule.  The fact that you need to be fair and have a system of consultation makes me think the rules are not as simple, absolute or objective as you might think.

Viking

Quote from: crazy canuck on January 14, 2015, 11:29:32 AM
Viking, if the rules are  "simple, absolute and objective" why is there also a need to be "fair".  It should just be a matter of doing whatever the simple, absolute and objective rule compels the players to do and everyone would immediately understand that the outcome is dictated by the rule.  The fact that you need to be fair and have a system of consultation makes me think the rules are not as simple, absolute or objective as you might think.

For every issue outside the rules, where to place new players, the nature and size of fines, the ruling on the Mameluke vassalization issue, how much time to give one side to list it's terms before threatening with fines or enforced white peace, on the fly "re-interpretations" for issues not covered by the rules (e.g. the GH 1v1 war vs Ruthenia with the Superiority CB, what could he demand; answer: Humiliation).

Though, I get the impression you didn't even try reading them, you just chose to be snarky because...