And we're back!

Main Menu

Europa Universalis IV announced

Started by Octavian, August 10, 2012, 10:05:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

crazy canuck

Quote from: Viking on January 31, 2015, 11:01:41 AM
I'm not by far the greatest power

I am sure there is a rule to cover that problem.

Solmyr

I've read the thread, there's enough player drama to keep it interesting. :P

Viking

Quote from: Solmyr on January 31, 2015, 12:09:15 PM
I've read the thread, there's enough player drama to keep it interesting. :P

And, apart from the independence of Perm happening 2 months before TO could force peace out the coalition of hansa, sweden, bohemia and golden horde for holding the war target in now independent perm long enough for the ticker to release 25%, no drama about the rules.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Viking

The Reign in Spain partido cinco - 1513 - 1532

The Spanish did get their peaceful session. A trade deal was struck with Portugal to boost trade income for both of us. Spanish plans were to put down the andalucian revolt then invade the Kiche Mayans. Unfortunately our god king 4/5/6 died early on. So languishing in a regency for 6 years nothing happened.

During the regency Lorraine attacked Provence. Unable to ally Provence due to  our relations deteriorating to under -100 Switzerland was convinced to to the declaration of war for us. After Switzerland dowed Lorraine was put under heavy pressure, but due to the delay in helping Provence Lorraine stilll was able to stab hit Provene for one province. After that Castille and Switzerland white peaced out Lorraine, having at least saved Provence from harsher terms. Later on Provence was guaranteed by Castille and once his truce expired a coalition against Lorraine was formed to protect Provence without using a diplo slot for a guarantee. I was already two slots over the limit.

The integreation of Teclmen started but due to cultural and religous differences it didn't complete this session.

In the americas 5 provinces were taken from Kiche and converted to catholicism. The last one is being cored right now and when it completes Mexico will be founded. The Netherlands managed to colonize Trinidad, but Spanish colonization continues un-interrupted now on the Spanish Main, working towards Mexico. 

Mini AARs start here:

http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?826165-Primi-Pauci-et-Intrepedi-VI-Tuesdays-20-00-23-00&p=18815919&viewfull=1#post18815919

Player Map:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/hm7wuwuxdyu9is8/eu4_map_AVA_1532_01_04_1.png?dl=0

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Sophie Scholl

You know what event really annoys the hell out of me?  The Lollard Heresy event for England.  It's crap and far too late historically.  There is 0 reason it should trigger when I'm starting in the 1460's or 1480's as Edward IV or Richard III.  Alas, I don't know how to just delete the bastard. <_<
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

Viking

Quote from: Benedict Arnold on February 04, 2015, 04:15:37 AM
You know what event really annoys the hell out of me?  The Lollard Heresy event for England.  It's crap and far too late historically.  There is 0 reason it should trigger when I'm starting in the 1460's or 1480's as Edward IV or Richard III.  Alas, I don't know how to just delete the bastard. <_<

do you want to know how to mod the event out?

It's the first event in the FlavorENG.txt in the "events" folder. You can either delete the event or, you can replace this code

trigger = {
tag = ENG
NOT = { is_year = 1500 }
num_of_cities = 5
religion = catholic
}

with this

trigger = {
tag = ENG
NOT = { is_year = 1450 }
num_of_cities = 5
religion = catholic
}

or whichever date you think is appropriate.

Sophie Scholl

"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

garbon

New info about changes to liberty desire/vassals sound great.

http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?834139-Europa-Universalis-IV-El-Dorado-Development-Diary-3-Inti-Maya-and-Liberty-Desire

QuoteLiberty Desire
In Conquest of Paradise, we introduced the concept of Liberty Desire for Colonial Nations, measuring their desire to break away from their parent country, but the system has always been a bit too simplified revolving almost entirely around tariffs and very rarely resulting in said Colonial Nations winning their independence.

In the 1.10 patch, we will be introducing a major rework of Liberty Desire that turns it into a much deeper and more interesting system, but also expands it to all other subjects such as Vassals and Personal Union juniors. In 1.10, each subject has a Liberty Desire towards their Overlord, calculated based on a large number of factors such as opinion, diplomatic reputation, relative power, and relative diplomatic technology levels. Certain subject types like Marches and Client States are more loyal and thus have inherently lower Liberty Desire, while the Daimyos of Japan are an unruly bunch and have a large bonus to their LD. Vassals will also be aware of the power of all vassals relative to their liege, and their Liberty Desire will go up if they think that they could, together, bring you down. (This might even tame early game France - a little.)

While Liberty Desire is lower than 50, the subject will be considered 'Loyal' (as seen in their attitude). They will dutifully pay taxes, send their armies to help you in war, and refuse any offers of Support for Independence.

If Liberty Desire is above 50, but below 100, the Vassal is considered 'Disloyal'. They will refuse to pay taxes and tariffs, won't send their armies to help you in war (only defending their own territory) and will both look for foreign powers to support their independence and seek to ally with other rebellious subjects of their liege. If they find allies and supporters, their Liberty Desire goes up by an amount depending on the power of said supporters and allies.

At 100, the subject will be 'Rebellious'. They will not only refuse to pay taxes and send help, but will declare war for independence the moment they think they have a shot at winning. When a subject declares war for independence, they will automatically call in all other subjects of their liege that they are allied to, and all independence supporters of both themselves AND their allies, meaning that their liege can be faced with quite the independence war indeed.

All in all, this system is meant to make vassals feel more lifelike - they are no longer mere slaves to their liege's whims, but independent entities with their own goals who may turn on their 'overlord' if he does not take care to maintain their loyalty.

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Viking

The Reign in Spain (the actual Spain, not this half ass Castille thingy) Part 6 - 1532 - 1556

Well finally Spain is Spain and not this half ass Castille thing.

Early in the session a plot to destroy Hansa was executed. Castille had expected such a plot and as the new emperor was determined to help the empire. Teutonic Order, Lorraine, Holland and Britain all jumped the much reduced Hansa. Seeking to preserve the balance of power, or at least, make sure any partitions attempted with Spain not on the receiving end would not happen. Spain along with Portugal, Bohemia and Provence entered to try and save Hansa from destruction. Much to my surprise Byzantium joined our side. Much to my dismay the plan I had for when Byzantium joined the other side, as I AND apparently the coalition against Hansa expected, went into effect taking Byzantium out of the war when Hungary and Syria jumped Byzantium depriving us of the battle winning general that the Protectors of Hansa had used to take back the war target and win multiple battles in the Brandenburg Region. The loss of that leadership along with the almost 40k men he had there tipped the scales and the Protector armies were shattered by the technologically advanced (they had mostly tech 12 while we had mostly tech 11) Partitionist forces.

The Partitionists then proceeded to try and maximize the damage they could take. Seeking to force the various Protectors into 100% peaces. The Protectors fought on given the harsh demands of the Partitionists seeing no need to negotiate away more than could be forced from them. Ultimately Provence lost two provines (Poitou and Gascogne), Portugal none, Spain two (Andalucia and Les Cayes) and Hansa many provinces (4-6 I guess).

During the war I was primarily paranoid about the possibility of the partitionists using their 100% war score vs Hansa to break the vassalization of Aragon which is what it would have cost. So most of my effort once the Partitionists had breached the Pyrenees was about making sure Barcelona remained in Aragonese hands, not the Partitionist ones.

After the war Spain was formed as Aragon realized the need for a strong and unified Kingdom when Iberia was invaded by the Partitionists.

The rest of the session was spent cleaning up some amerindian minors and the revolter that spawned during the war. Spain is now the premier land power, though a fleet does require building. Fortunately Britain nearly bankrupted itself during the war just to gain Andalucia as a one province Vassal. Teh true winners would be Lorrain and Teutonic Order who now can partition the empire in peace, given that both are members.

Mini AARs start here:
http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?826165-Primi-Pauci-et-Intrepedi-VI-Tuesdays-20-00-23-00&p=18852091&viewfull=1#post18852091

garbon

http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?835528-EU4-El-Dorado-Development-Diary-4-Seven-Cities-of-Gold-and-Colonial-Merchants

Hunt for the Seven Cities
In the first Development Diary for El Dorado we talked about Naval Exploration and how you could send your ships on missions to explore certain sea zones or explore a particular coastline. El Dorado has a similar system for land exploration that we call 'Hunt for the Seven Cities'.

As the name indicates, this system is only available in the New World, and using it is as simple as sending an army led by a conquistador to the Americas and hitting the 'Hunt for the Seven Cities' toggle in the unit view. While this toggle is on, the conquistador will automatically explore his surroundings, uncovering terra incognita, fighting natives, and stopping to rest as needed.

While a conquistador is exploring in this manner, a large number of events can happen - your conquistador might run out of food, trade with friendly natives, or uncover a lead on where to find one of the Seven Cities of Gold, the Fountain of Youth, or other mythical places that Europeans believed could be found somewhere in the New World. If your intrepid band stumbles upon such a lead, several more events are unlocked as your conquistador follows the clues to an end that can involve failure and death, failing to locate your goal but finding something else of value instead (such as searching for El Dorado but finding Lake Guatavita), or actually locating your objective! You will also be given chances to abandon this quest, should you wish to employ your conquistador in a more traditional manner.

Of course, finding the Fountain of Youth won't actually make you immortal, much like finding El Dorado doesn't mean you'll encounter the golden empire of legend. You will find something of great value that will give a permanent boost to tax income, increased trade efficiency, prestige or other such bonuses.

Seems rather absurd to add in that you can find things that never existed...
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Caliga

I'm glad they are releasing another expansion to focus on the New World, though.  Honestly, since about the EU3 era all I care about playing in EU is a colonial power (usually Spain or Portugal, sometimes France).
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

garbon

I'm glad they have additional New World stuff too but as noted I would have liked if they stayed away from high fantasy options, though they look to have minor impact so no biggie. :)

Zanza

I would still love to see some more domestic politics in the game. Not sure why they don't expand on the existing factions for republics and China and build some kind of parliaments or estates general into the game.

garbon

Zanza

Quote from: Wiz;18897413Welcome to the fifth and last development diary for Europa Universalis 4: El Dorado. Today we'll be talking about the gold and silver mines of the new world and how to best secure that wealth for your colonial empire.

Treasure Fleets
It's no secret that the Spanish conquest of Mexico, Central and South America was primarily driven by a desire for gold and silver. The Spanish crown had sole rights to mine these precious metals in their colonies, which were then loaded onto well-guarded ships and sent back to Spain. Unsurprisingly, this floating wealth drew the attention of pirates and privateers, leading to the Golden Age of Piracy and the Pirates of the Caribbean that we all know and love.

In the El Dorado expansion, we represent this through a mechanic we call 'Treasure Fleets'. For those that have the expansion, Colonial Nations with gold provinces will no longer gain the income of that gold for themselves, but instead will store it in a 'Treasure Fleet Counter' that counts up towards a certain sum depending on the size of the colony's gold mines. Once the counter is full (usually about twice a year), the colony will send a Treasure Fleet. The Treasure Fleet travels downstream along the trade routes, passing each node between the Colonial Nation and its mother nation's trade capital. If there are privateers present in these nodes, they will steal a share of the gold relative to their power in the node - so if privateers hold 50% of the power in the Caribbean, they will take half the value out of any treasure fleet that passes through there. At the end of the journey, any money that remains is given to the mother nation, who suffer some inflation depending on the amount of money relative to the size of their economy.

Nations who do not have their trade capital downstream of their colonies' trade nodes will be unable to receive treasure fleets. In these cases, the colonial nation will simply keep the gold for themselves, paying just the usual amount in tariffs.

Pirate Hunting
If you see a lot of your treasure going into the pockets of filthy buccaneers, we have given you a new way to stop them. To repel the privateers that are stealing your trade or seizing your gold fleets, we've added the option for your navies to go Pirate Hunting in the El Dorado expansion. Heavy Ships and Light Ships can be sent pirate hunting in a particular node, and will reduce the efficiency of all pirates in that node based on the amount of guns that the pirate hunting fleet can bring to bear. This gives you an way to combat piracy without having to go to war and gives Heavy Ships some use at peacetime besides sitting mothballed in port.

Terrain Rework
As a bonus feature in the free patch, we've majorly reworked province terrains and the terrain mapmode. Many parts of the world have had their terrain updated to better reflect reality. For example, Spain is no longer mostly desert, and Eastern Europe is no longer one big swamp. The map has also been tweaked so that it is much easier to tell the terrain of a province simply from looking at said province.

As part of this reworking, we've added four new terrain types:
Highlands: Hilled but deforested regions (such as the Scottish Highlands). The old Hills terrain has been modified to represent forested, more inaccessible hilled regions.
Drylands: Arid regions that can still support agriculture, such as southern Spain.
Farmlands: Densely populated and cultivated areas with rich soils, such as you'd find in northern Italy.
Savanna: Largely open regions with alternating dry and wet seasons, such as the African Savannas.

That's it for the El Dorado dev diaries! Over the next week, we'll be posting excerpts from the 1.10 patch notes, and Thursday the 26th of February the El Dorado expansion and corresponding patch will be released.
Sounds good. :)