And we're back!

Main Menu

Europa Universalis IV announced

Started by Octavian, August 10, 2012, 10:05:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DGuller

Quote from: crazy canuck on December 11, 2013, 03:02:54 PM
Quote from: Viking on December 11, 2013, 02:18:52 PM
Edit2: the reason for the conficting ideas rules is to give choice at all. Rather than take all asap, you have to pick which suits you best and which of the other groups you prefer. Right now there is one best choice (take all of them) for all players.

The fact that you dont like people optimizing ideas for MP play isnt a very compelling reason to make a rule against optimizing ideas for MP play.
On the other hand, strategic games where the optimal moves are no-brainers are a bit flawed.

Viking

Edit2: the reason for the conficting ideas rules is to give choice at all. Rather than take all asap, you have to pick which suits you best and which of the other groups you prefer. Right now there is one best choice (take all of them) for all players.

The fact that you dont like people optimizing ideas for MP play isnt a very compelling reason to make a rule against optimizing ideas for MP play.

What I really don't like is new players bitching about how the game is broken when they try to fight with 110% discipline vs 156%.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

crazy canuck

Quote from: DGuller on December 11, 2013, 03:16:03 PM

On the other hand, strategic games where the optimal moves are no-brainers are a bit flawed.

Human players are always going to optimize their chances in MP games.  But even Viking concedes that not everyone does the same thing all the time.  It would be pretty odd to see the potential exploration countries taking only military ideas as an example.

Viking

Quote from: crazy canuck on December 11, 2013, 03:26:41 PM
Quote from: DGuller on December 11, 2013, 03:16:03 PM

Human players are always going to optimize their chances in MP games.  But even Viking concedes that not everyone does the same thing all the time.  It would be pretty odd to see the potential exploration countries taking only military ideas as an example.

My Idea Choices as Spain in the Question of Initiative game, in order

Exploration
Offensive
Adminstrative (for the Militia Act)
Defensive
Quality
Naval

I managed to get up to 171% discipline with some nice events. My only reason for not going quantity too was that I had carpeted europe in stock exchanges and had the highest force limits.

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

DGuller

Speaking of unbalanced, the stock exchanges.  Why choose between land force limits, naval force limits, or income, when you can have all three?  In my Russia game, I find it very amusing that every Siberian province, within 10 years of being colonized, has a shiny new stock exchange.

Viking

Quote from: DGuller on December 11, 2013, 03:58:12 PM
Speaking of unbalanced, the stock exchanges.  Why choose between land force limits, naval force limits, or income, when you can have all three?  In my Russia game, I find it very amusing that every Siberian province, within 10 years of being colonized, has a shiny new stock exchange.

Comparing stock exchanges with naval and land buildings...

In coastal provinces two stock exchanges will give you 5 ships ans 2.5 regiments, one naval and one land will give you 4 ships and 2 regiments with the massive cash bonus replaced with naval repair and manpower in addition to recruitment time.

In countries with virtually only coastal provinces (scandinavia, portugal, britain, holland) you will need one naval base for repair and the peace time production line. If you are prussia you might want a conscription center just because your ideas give you 1 day recruitment.

Inland you might choose to build conscription centers in the most manpower heavy provinces and stock exchanges in the richest provinces (first)

I've never built a government level 6 building, but I have built a level 6 fort.. on my march.   

DGuller

I once built a couple of level 6 government buildings in dirt poor provinces, when I had more cash that I knew what to do with, and having a lock on every cardinal became more important.

Viking

Quote from: DGuller on December 11, 2013, 04:42:33 PM
I once built a couple of level 6 government buildings in dirt poor provinces, when I had more cash that I knew what to do with, and having a lock on every cardinal became more important.

in MP most people convert, the -1 RR for the true faith isn't good enough for catholicism, since spain usually corners most of the cardinals. Going protestant for ideas and production or reformed for trade is worth more.

DGuller

Quote from: Viking on December 11, 2013, 04:52:24 PM

in MP most people convert, the -1 RR for the true faith isn't good enough for catholicism, since spain usually corners most of the cardinals. Going protestant for ideas and production or reformed for trade is worth more.
Agreed, but converting to Protestantism when none of your provinces actually flipped on their own can be very problematic.

crazy canuck

Quote from: DGuller on December 11, 2013, 04:54:16 PM
Agreed, but converting to Protestantism when none of your provinces actually flipped on their own can be very problematic.

One of the recent patches made it more likely that provinces would convert by event if the state religion converted.  I found it pretty easy to make the change.

Viking

Quote from: DGuller on December 11, 2013, 04:54:16 PM
Quote from: Viking on December 11, 2013, 04:52:24 PM

The most significant factor you need to consider when converting is that the mtth for the random conversions depend on state religion and time since reformation starting, adjacent province religion and if you are the source of the reformation.

So convert day 1 of the reformation and use your missionary to start with the quickest to convert province with the most neighbors. Sometimes only random events can convert some places (danzig has 12 initial tax base and you need quite a bit of modifiers to convert that place regularly). Basically convert day 1 and send a missionary to the lowest tax base province you have to get a province converted quickly so the free random events hit.

Queequeg

If you can afford DoF, that extra missionary really helps out a ton.  You can leave religious turmoil in a decade fairly easily. 
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Josquius

I eventually did it with Byzantium! They decided to mop up Turkish minors rather than me which allowed me to declare war and grab a province in Europe, trapping their forces in Anatolia. Shortly after their peace treaty with me expired they got involved in a war with Crimea...so I again nipped in and grabbed a province. They had significant forces in Europe this time but combined with the Crimean armies I managed to pull through.
What really did it was when they were allied with Crimea and some eastern muslims decided to try and conquer Crimea. Whilst the Turks were away in the east with the Timurids I grabbed most of Europe. I'm now entering a normal game.

Two points:

Inability to take the Turkish capital in a peace deal SUCKS. But alas its a old problem in paradox games.
The lack of events about the restoration of Byzantium dissapoints me.
██████
██████
██████

garbon

I believe the Byzantines got similar events as one of the preorder bonuses.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Sophie Scholl

Quote from: garbon on December 12, 2013, 08:49:28 AM
I believe the Byzantines got similar events as one of the preorder bonuses.
Yep.  Purple Phoenix.
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."