News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Europa Universalis IV announced

Started by Octavian, August 10, 2012, 10:05:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anatron

Quote from: Caliga on September 24, 2013, 10:30:02 AM
What I always hated about warfare in the EU series (as wel las CK) is how battles always last months, and then there was a retreat, and then another (typically shorter) battle, then a retreat, etc.  That's not how war worked back then.  IIRC a lot of wars were decided on a single critical battle.  That said, the fact that wars don't always have to be total now helps things quite a bit also.  Like for example in my last playthrough as Castile I declared war on Aragon because their king insulted me, and 'won' with just a concession of defeat after no provinces had been occupied by either side.  Of course, I wore my manpower down to zero though :blush:

Great victory! :lol:

The problem with the retreating armies is

1.not realistic
2.can not use tactics to win war like enclose enemy then destroy it.what is a common military tactic since Hannibal defeated Rome at Cannae.

Liep

Generally there's more loss I noticed. I had a pretty good general with a 15 stack army win and completely destroy an 18 stack army (though with both river and mountain terrain defense)

I don't remember seeing stacks go down so fast in 1.1.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Viking

Quote from: Liep on September 24, 2013, 09:54:37 AM
Yeah, deep in my territory I defeated an Austrian army, and then they retreated all the way back to Vienna. A little while after I lost a battle in an allied's territory and retreated one province.

Yeah, I don't think I get it.

In one games an army lost a battle to the inca in lima and the army retreated all the way to la plata, through venezuela and brazil.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Tamas

Quote from: Viking on September 24, 2013, 11:15:22 AM
Yeah, deep in my territory I defeated an Austrian army, and then they retreated all the way back to Vienna. A little while after I lost a battle in an allied's territory and retreated one province.

In one games an army lost a battle to the inca in lima and the army retreated all the way to la plata, through venezuela and brazil.

WAD

Viking

In that case you need military access to the ally to be able to retreat.

There are five levels of access that are relevant here

1. Controlled provinces (occupied provinces, home provinces and vassal provinces)
2. Allied provinces (controlled provinces of allies in a war)
3. Access provinces (controlled provinces of powers you have military access in)
4. Enemy provinces (controlled provinces of power you are at war with)
5. Unsettled provinces (provinces controlled by no-one)

Now, it seems that initially shatter worked fine for 1. and 3., but not 2., 4. or 5. The patch fixed it for 4., but not 2. or 5.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Anatron on September 24, 2013, 03:34:30 AM
The reason why white people killed so many not whites becouse we evolved faster then others (it happened because of the constant wars in Europe,plus the plagues in the middle age.)

I know you did not do this on purpose and that it is just an issue with English not being your first language.  I am not being critical just correcting the misuse of a verb for your future reference.

The word you were looking for there was probably "developed" or something similar.  The word "evolved" is a reference to a point of view which was once held (and still sadly held in some quarters) that natives in the Americas were racially inferior.

Zanza

Both DLCs released today sound completely useless. USA events? I have never played a game long enough to even see the USA around. And national monuments that are only visible in the terrain map mode? Meh. Let's see how the DLCs for this game develop.

Anatron

Quote from: crazy canuck on September 24, 2013, 11:22:34 AM
The reason why white people killed so many not whites becouse we evolved faster then others (it happened because of the constant wars in Europe,plus the plagues in the middle age.)

I know you did not do this on purpose and that it is just an issue with English not being your first language.  I am not being critical just correcting the misuse of a verb for your future reference.

The word you were looking for there was probably "developed" or something similar.  The word "evolved" is a reference to a point of view which was once held (and still sadly held in some quarters) that natives in the Americas were racially inferior.

I tried to say,improved technology ,governement etc.

garbon

Quote from: Zanza on September 24, 2013, 11:39:45 AM
Both DLCs released today sound completely useless. USA events? I have never played a game long enough to even see the USA around. And national monuments that are only visible in the terrain map mode? Meh. Let's see how the DLCs for this game develop.

Yep, same thoughts.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

Quote from: Anatron on September 24, 2013, 11:45:51 AM

Yeah, I think he's just pointing out, that using the word evolved here could be taken by other people to be very racially offensive.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Tamas

Quote from: garbon on September 24, 2013, 11:51:37 AM

Yeah, I think he's just pointing out, that using the word evolved here could be taken by other people to be very racially offensive.

And as he confirmed, that was not what he meant.

Anatron

I just put the word in my language to GIB and that what it gave .  :)

Tamas

"Funny patch. Made peace with the enemy. And vassalized them. Big mistake. The game thinks I am the overlord of the enemy now, and now I am helping my new vassal to fight...myself. (Well as a matter of fact, I am not at war with myself, but I am at war with my old alliance which isn't as bad, but still could be considered a bug.) "

Tell me it isn`t so. :bleeding:

garbon

Quote from: Tamas on September 24, 2013, 11:56:38 AM

And as he confirmed, that was not what he meant.

And again the point wasn't that CC or I thought that, but just point out that in the wider world, he might want to avoid phrasing in that way. :)

Anatron

As far as I see MP still sucks.Crash after crash ...

I am going to Cardhunter then. At least it has some challenge. :)