And we're back!

Main Menu

Europa Universalis IV announced

Started by Octavian, August 10, 2012, 10:05:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sbr

Quote from: Viking on August 11, 2013, 06:42:09 PM
Quote from: Tamas on August 11, 2013, 06:31:37 PM
I think EU4 is by far the greatest leap from the design started with EU1, for the better, too. EU3 looks quite obsolete in comparison.

No, the EU2->EU3 leap was a greater leap in graphic design.

Who mentioned graphics before you?

Queequeg

Quote from: Sheilbh on August 11, 2013, 08:21:10 PM
Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on August 10, 2013, 01:27:37 AMHowever, it is worth bearing in mind that Asia Minor was converted to Islam pretty fast and that, some centuries earlier, the Arabs made Islam the majority religion in Egypt, Syria etc quite quickly. So, arguably, it may be right that converting the Balkans is possible though with costs that may well not make it worth it.
Actually and I could be wrong because this is from memory, but I think most estimates say it took a couple of centuries for Islam to become the majority faith in Egypt and Syria. Not least because initially (like the Ottomans I think) the Arabs generally didn't want converts. It reduced their status and their tax income. I think by the end of the Umayyad only around 10-20% had converted and even by the 8-9th century Muslims were possibly a minority.

Ironically for the Christians I believe the real spate of conversions happened in the 150 years or so before the Crusades :lol:
Sheilbh is right, the relative rapidity of the growth of Islam in Anatolia was unique for several, hotly debated reasons. 
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Razgovory

Quote from: Queequeg on August 11, 2013, 11:49:56 PM
Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on August 10, 2013, 01:27:37 AMHowever, it is worth bearing in mind that Asia Minor was converted to Islam pretty fast and that, some centuries earlier, the Arabs made Islam the majority religion in Egypt, Syria etc quite quickly. So, arguably, it may be right that converting the Balkans is possible though with costs that may well not make it worth it.
Actually and I could be wrong because this is from memory, but I think most estimates say it took a couple of centuries for Islam to become the majority faith in Egypt and Syria. Not least because initially (like the Ottomans I think) the Arabs generally didn't want converts. It reduced their status and their tax income. I think by the end of the Umayyad only around 10-20% had converted and even by the 8-9th century Muslims were possibly a minority.

Ironically for the Christians I believe the real spate of conversions happened in the 150 years or so before the Crusades :lol:
Sheilbh is right, the relative rapidity of the growth of Islam in Anatolia was unique for several, hotly debated reasons.

This is my understanding.  For instance I read that what is now Iraq didn't become majority Muslim until about the 16th century.  I'm not entirely certain how you calculate these types of things though.  It's not like people were doing polling back then.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Richard Hakluyt

Quote from: Queequeg on August 11, 2013, 11:49:56 PM

I think you are right Shielbh, my bad.

Tamas

if there is one reason to not Islamise the Balkans is to avoid the insta-convert-to-shiite event.

I am not sure I understand how the conversion speed works though. Well into the 1600s, new Balkan conquests could be converted in, say 17 months, while inherited (and thus insta-cored) Shiite provinces in Iraq take 101 months.

Also, I am suspecting that the AI does not explore in the demo. I sure hope it will in the full game.

garbon

I think I'm going to work from home tomorrow. :ph34r:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

ulmont

Quote from: garbon on August 12, 2013, 07:58:06 AM

I thought it was out on the 14th, not the 13th?  Was I wrong?

Liep

Yes. According to Steam it's 15:00 CEST on the 13th.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

garbon

From Johan:

QuoteThe game will go live at 9AM EST, which is about 15.00 in the afternoon Swedish time. (on the 13th of August)
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Spooky

Quote from: garbon on August 12, 2013, 09:25:55 AM
From Johan:

QuoteThe game will go live at 9AM EST, which is about 15.00 in the afternoon Swedish time. (on the 13th of August)
Quote from: Liep on August 12, 2013, 09:25:28 AM
Yes. According to Steam it's 15:00 CEST on the 13th.

I would be stunned if it actually releases at 9am on Steam. I've been a member there for nine years and have never seen an early morning release like that.  I suspect it will be around 3pm on the day of.

However, to play devil's advocate to myself, I did just notice that the Steam Store pagerapidly moved the release forward this morning, it now displays 23 hours (currently 10:36am EST at time of this posting). This of course lends credence to the 9am release.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Tamas on August 12, 2013, 02:34:05 AM
Also, I am suspecting that the AI does not explore in the demo.

No.  I have seen Spanish colonies in the new world. 

crazy canuck

I will come in early, delegate, and leave.

Richard Hakluyt

I've been really lucky this week, busy most of today and tomorrow till 4pm then free for most of the rest of the week, fits in with the release very well  :cool:

Spooky

Quote from: crazy canuck on August 12, 2013, 10:39:59 AM

I will come in early, delegate, and leave.

/salute. I will be doing the exact same thing, except for the early part. I'll come in on time, delegate, take an early "business" lunch and leave.

Caliga

I can't.  I have a business lunch. :(
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points