And we're back!

Main Menu

Europa Universalis IV announced

Started by Octavian, August 10, 2012, 10:05:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ulmont

Quote from: garbon on August 10, 2013, 10:23:31 PM
Isn't baby habs pretty youthful?

Almost certainly.  I meant Languish as a whole.  Xref CdM's description over in [some other] discussion.

garbon

Which was inaccurate. Languish had started before then. :goodboy:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

Quote from: JonasSalk on August 10, 2013, 10:27:22 PM
Oop, old man Garbon's got his 'Heimer's actin' up agin'. Somebody best get him his walkin' stick.

You want to be ancient? Have at it. :blurgh:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Queequeg

Going to be worth getting out of box?
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

The Brain

Quote from: Queequeg on August 11, 2013, 12:20:48 AM

Are you living in a box? Are you living in a cardboard box?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

crazy canuck

Quote from: The Brain on August 11, 2013, 03:31:32 AM

Are you living in a box? Are you living in a cardboard box?

Did you find a way to break through this cellophane bag

Solmyr

Quote from: Drakken on August 10, 2013, 08:57:17 PM
To build a colony you must send a colonist there and let it build (and pay money monthly in upkeep, that's still there and can sink your budget down if your economy can't handle it). That also means that your number of colonists simultaneously building colonies is severely limited.

You don't actually need a colonist to stay building once you first found a colony, it will increase without one (much, much more slowly). Of course, too many colonies at once will sink your budget.

Queequeg

Can you jackasses just answer an honest question?
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

DGuller

garbon

I like my questions like I like my men - dishonest.

sbr

Quote from: Queequeg on August 11, 2013, 01:56:43 PM
Can you jackasses just answer an honest question?

I guess it depends on what your reservations are.

There is no box, it is Steam only.

As scary as this is to say, I think technically it will be fine.  I can't imagine it any worse than CKII.

Are there some gameplay issues you may have?  If so the Demo and Tutorial do a decent job of letting you see what you are getting into.

I pre-ordered a few months ago and haven't changed my mind after a few hours with the Demo.

JonasSalk

If you like EU3.5, I'd say yes. This doesn't feel like a radical change from 3, honestly. It's definitely prettier and a fair amount of the gameplay mechanics have changed significantly, been done away with, or have been simplified in some way. I like it so far, but I've only played for a couple of hours as Ottomans and Portugal. I'd say it's probably worth it.
Yuman

Tamas

I think EU4 is by far the greatest leap from the design started with EU1, for the better, too. EU3 looks quite obsolete in comparison.

Viking

Quote from: Tamas on August 11, 2013, 06:31:37 PM
I think EU4 is by far the greatest leap from the design started with EU1, for the better, too. EU3 looks quite obsolete in comparison.

No, the EU2->EU3 leap was a greater leap in graphic design.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on August 10, 2013, 01:27:37 AMHowever, it is worth bearing in mind that Asia Minor was converted to Islam pretty fast and that, some centuries earlier, the Arabs made Islam the majority religion in Egypt, Syria etc quite quickly. So, arguably, it may be right that converting the Balkans is possible though with costs that may well not make it worth it.
Actually and I could be wrong because this is from memory, but I think most estimates say it took a couple of centuries for Islam to become the majority faith in Egypt and Syria. Not least because initially (like the Ottomans I think) the Arabs generally didn't want converts. It reduced their status and their tax income. I think by the end of the Umayyad only around 10-20% had converted and even by the 8-9th century Muslims were possibly a minority.

Ironically for the Christians I believe the real spate of conversions happened in the 150 years or so before the Crusades :lol:
Let's bomb Russia!