News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Europa Universalis IV announced

Started by Octavian, August 10, 2012, 10:05:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

Also, PE's AAR was enlightening. It is guaranteed at 101 months except that various things (I believe like losing control of the province and some other items that I'm now forgetting - maybe overextension) can cause it to take longer.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

ulmont

Jonas, I'm seeing similar numbers being reported on something awful.

The balancer, I am given to understand, is that you're really screwing yourself on tech advancement through spending all your points on conversions.

garbon

Quote from: ulmont on August 09, 2013, 09:41:24 PM
The balancer, I am given to understand, is that you're really screwing yourself on tech advancement through spending all your points on conversions.

Yeah a lot of this seems like a high wire.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

crazy canuck

I just played through the demo as Portugual and I declare this game to be..... Fun!

Lots of decision points.  This is going to be fun for a long time.

dps

Quote from: garbon on August 09, 2013, 09:39:03 PM
Look a few pages earlier, your ally probably gave it up.

But I was never at war with Morocco.  I had been at war with France as an ally of Castille.  Can France demand that I give the provinces back to Morocco even though Morocco wasn't at war with us?

Fireblade

Quote from: garbon on August 09, 2013, 09:45:12 PM

Yeah, MP games in particular should be nerve wracking. "Should I get that idea or should I tech up? Oh god Jaron is right next to me and he's got a shit load of soldiers.. do I tech guns or do I get +.5 morale?"

Fireblade

God damn, I'm playing as France and Austria, Spain, and England are all in this ironclad alliance right now. My opportunities for expansion are: Limited.  :mad:

garbon

Quote from: dps on August 09, 2013, 10:10:08 PM
Quote from: garbon on August 09, 2013, 09:39:03 PM
Look a few pages earlier, your ally probably gave it up.

But I was never at war with Morocco.  I had been at war with France as an ally of Castille.  Can France demand that I give the provinces back to Morocco even though Morocco wasn't at war with us?

Yes, I believe that they can force provs back to someone who has a core.

katmai

Quote from: Fireblade on August 09, 2013, 10:11:08 PM

Yeah, MP games in particular should be nerve wracking. "Should I get that idea or should I tech up? Oh god Jaron is right next to me and he's got a shit load of soldiers.. do I tech guns or do I get +.5 morale?"
Jaron sucks as a general.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Fireblade

Quote from: katmai on August 09, 2013, 10:27:15 PM
Quote from: Fireblade on August 09, 2013, 10:11:08 PM

Jaron sucks as a general.

Yeah, he told me some of his stories back in the EU3 days. :P

Fireblade

I think I'll try out Sweden next. Based upon what I've seen so far, it can beat the SHIT out of Denmark/Norway, Poland, and Moscovy. It probably has some ridiculous bullshit events like "VIKINGS REBORN +100 MORALE", "ENEMY RULER SUBJECTED TO BLOOD EAGLE +50 PRESTIGE" and "GREAT BLOT ALL EUROPEAN RULERS SACRIFICED TO ODIN +SWEDEN WINS GAME" :rolleyes:

The Brain

Maybe there will be an Arkansas Invasion DLC so you'll stop whining.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Richard Hakluyt

Quote from: JonasSalk on August 09, 2013, 06:22:52 PM
All of my conversion times are way high at the beginning of the Ottoman campaign. 101 months for several provinces, 52 for a lot, 40 for Albania, with the rest being about 66. You can only send out one missionary at the beginning at a time, though, so how do you manage to convert it all in 5 years?

I tried the Ottomans last night and maxed my stability (increases missionary strength) and piety (increases missionary strength) whilst also becoming Defender of the Faith (+1 missionary). This got the times well down and I converted most of the Balkans over a 20 year period.

The question is, is this really a problem?

Those choices btw had a number of negative impacts, reducing income and tech gains for instance.

Historically it is not the route that the Ottomans chose to go down in the Balkans. However, it is worth bearing in mind that Asia Minor was converted to Islam pretty fast and that, some centuries earlier, the Arabs made Islam the majority religion in Egypt, Syria etc quite quickly. So, arguably, it may be right that converting the Balkans is possible though with costs that may well not make it worth it.

I didn't convert the cultures there, there was a marginal benefit for doing so and a crippling failure in tech advancement for neglecting the other areas.

Fireblade

Well, that was convenient. All of France converted to Protestantism via event.

Tamas

Quote from: Fireblade on August 10, 2013, 07:00:00 AM
Well, that was convenient. All of France converted to Protestantism via event.

:huh: