And we're back!

Main Menu

Europa Universalis IV announced

Started by Octavian, August 10, 2012, 10:05:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Phillip V

Tamas

Quote from: Phillip V on January 25, 2013, 08:36:04 AM
All Pdox games from EU4 beyond will be Steam-only releases.

New dev diary released. No more colonist spamming! :)

http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?660778-Europa-Universalis-IV-Developer-diary-18-%96-Sail-away-with-me!

Is gamersgate going bankrupt over their christmas period fuckups or what?

sbr

Paradox has preferred Steam for a while now.  There was talk of making CKII Steam exclusive but they ended up caving to the small but loud outrage.

One of the devs made a post at that time that ~90% of their sales came from Steam and the amount of time they wasted dealing with patch installers and other related work for other systems was enormous considering the very small number of people using them.  I also now after that post they said that CKII's sale on Steam were an even bigger percentage than they expected.  I will go back and see if I can find any of the posts, I have at least the first one bookmarked somewhere.

Josephus

I don't know what they mean when they say the games will only be steam-only releases considering that they're launching their own download site.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

sbr

garbon

Might be that all purchases on shop get you steam digital downloads.  That's what they currently have listed in the new shop.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Arvoreen

On their shop, you get a keycode you can redeem in Steam ... where the game is then downloaded, patched, etc.

garbon

So what is the benefit of buying in their shop? Discounts?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

sbr

Quote from: garbon on January 25, 2013, 04:09:04 PM
So what is the benefit of buying in their shop? Discounts?

I would assume they get a small fraction more money from the sale than if you get it through Steam but I can't verify that.

garbon

Arvoreen

My guess would be price.  They can ask for less @ their store, but still take the same (or more) profit...

crazy canuck

I think I will like the new colonizing mechanic.

sbr

I found one of the posts in regards to Steam

http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?566740-quot-Requires-a-3rd-party-download-and-account-quot&p=13009805&viewfull=1#post13009805

Quote from: JohanIts because every portal has their own installers and system for downloading games/patches.

Its simple... Its more time spent on fixing bugs, improving ai and adding features. As well as more frequent patches.

This does not even consider the fact that Steam will auto-patch and make sure your version is not corrupted, which reduces support costs even further.

When we cater to multiple versions (and there were 23 different portals we sold games on, last time I checked), this cuts into development time quite a lot.

Now Kerberos is a developer that has about 2-3 times as many developers per project as our internal teams does, so you can imagine how beneficient it would be for our team.

Magicka had patches out everyday for weeks after release. We could NEVER do that on a non-steam title..

Sengoku, having 3 patches within 1.5 months of release, cost enormous amount of time and money for us for things that did not give anything back to us. About 90% of all who bought Sengoku digitally bought it through Steam, while we had to spend about 99% of the time for patch deployment and testing for non-steam customers.

Note the last paragraph.

I saw a post over there today where a mod said 95% of all CKII sales were through Steam.  2-3 devs (including Johan) posted after than and didn't correct the statement.

crazy canuck

Yeah, its kind of like when people tried to create their own version of paypal - lots of time and money invested for nothing. 

Phillip V

Rechecked the release date to remind myself that this game will not be released until Q3 2013. :wacko: