[WoW] Why you shouldn't fraternize with lesbians

Started by Martinus, August 09, 2012, 07:29:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Martinus

So, as you probably know, I'm part of a gay-friendly guild in WoW. It used to have mainly gay guys (so the guild chat alternated between a gutter talk and half a dozen people rage-quitting each day amidst drama) but recently we got overrun by lesbians.

Effect?

Someone threw an off-hand comment in the guild chat, saying about the opposing team in PvP that "we are going to rape them". And all the hell broke lose, with the dykes screaming essentially how he/she shouldn't say "rape" because it is offensive and a crime and so many women are raped every day.

:bleeding:

Martinus

I should perhaps mention that for some reason these are mainly Swedish lesbians.

sbr

Valmy

Swedes are politically correct zombies man.  Purge all Swedes from your guild.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Valmy

It sort of reminds me of these feminist blogs I read where some woman will innoncently throw out a comment like how it summer and the men are looking hot where she goes jogging.  The inevitable 'OMG you objectify people based on appearance?  WORSE THAN PATRIARCHAL HITLER!' call out is always just seconds away.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

garbon

I don't know - I mean isn't it really necessary to use the word rape in this context?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Martinus

Quote from: garbon on August 09, 2012, 12:13:17 PM
I don't know - I mean isn't it really necessary to use the word rape in this context?

This is a completely wrong mindset.

The Brain

Indeed it is.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Martinus

Oh, btw, I told them it is rather hypocritical and over-sensitive to be upset by the use of a word "rape" in a game that features torture, kidnapping, brutal killing and has skills like "Eviscerate" and "Execute", and they bit my head off.

garbon

Quote from: Martinus on August 09, 2012, 01:18:22 PM

I don't think so. While certainly there is no reason to throw a hissyfit over it - I don't see what's the harm in examining the language we use and whether we are wise to use it.  Certainly not in this online age where are words can continue to exist online even after we're gone.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Valmy

Quote from: garbon on August 09, 2012, 01:31:14 PM
Quote from: Martinus on August 09, 2012, 01:18:22 PM

I don't think so. While certainly there is no reason to throw a hissyfit over it - I don't see what's the harm in examining the language we use and whether we are wise to use it.  Certainly not in this online age where are words can continue to exist online even after we're gone.

There is no harm at all but this is not that.  But first you should do it politely and preferably have a relationship with the person.  Aggressively humiliating them publicly with a call out, especially when you know they meant no harm, is an attack and pretty intimidating not some honest attempt to change people's thinking.  Look how they attempted to intimdate Marty when he challenged them.  Is aggression and intimidation the right way to examine the language we use?

Why not send a tell asking them not reconsider using the term 'rape' first?

garbon

No, of course not - clearly they acted rather boorish. Marti, however, said that I had the completely wrong mindset for questioning whether certain terms are necessary or appropriate in the given situation.

Valmy

Quote from: garbon on August 09, 2012, 02:15:26 PM
No, of course not - clearly they acted rather boorish. Marti, however, said that I had the completely wrong mindset for questioning whether certain terms are necessary or appropriate in the given situation.

Ah gotcha.

The Brain

:huh: Make up your mind.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

garbon

Quote from: The Brain on August 09, 2012, 02:21:31 PM

:huh: Make up your mind.

About?