News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Iran Releases Journalist Accused of Spying

Started by Queequeg, May 11, 2009, 11:58:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Queequeg

Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

garbon

I like it best when Psellus is quiet.  Better to remain silent and have everyone think you are a fool...
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Queequeg

Quote from: garbon on May 11, 2009, 12:00:40 PM
I like it best when Psellus is quiet.  Better to remain silent and have everyone think you are a fool...
Quote from: garbon on May 11, 2009, 12:00:40 PMPosts: 1764
What was that you were saying?

Besides, I just wanted to beat Timmay.
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

garbon

You've just provided more support of my assertion. :(
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Queequeg

Quote from: garbon on May 11, 2009, 12:04:18 PM
:huh:

This is a big news story.  And it goes to show that the Iranian government appears to be, well, fractured and confused if there are indeed elements that go so far as to support the Taliban.

Neil

Quote from: Queequeg on May 11, 2009, 12:05:47 PM
Quote from: garbon on May 11, 2009, 12:04:18 PM
:huh:

This is a big news story.  And it goes to show that the Iranian government appears to be, well, fractured and confused if there are indeed elements that go so far as to support the Taliban.
No, it shows that the West is willing to pay ransom.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

KRonn

Well, this is interesting news. I wonder what brought about the change by Iran? If she was really a spy, then I'd doubt that Iran's judicial system or government would just give her up, let her go. If she wasn't, well, I'd guess it was the "fix was in" with the court. I guess the big question is what does Iran get out of this, either way? The article says it complicates dealing over Iran's nuclear program. If that's true, can it mean that the US used this somehow, which would mean giving Iran some leeway on their nuke program? Which is problematic, but is it a big enough issue for the US to bargain security over? Or if Iran just let her and hoped/felt that would ease some pressure on the. That would be a gamble on their part but probably a small price to pay to maybe get some good attention by letting her go.

derspiess

Glad things turned out well for her, but at the same time, I don't usually have a whole lot of sympathy for journos who expose themselves to unnecessary danger.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Jacob

Quote from: derspiess on May 11, 2009, 12:32:52 PMGlad things turned out well for her, but at the same time, I don't usually have a whole lot of sympathy for journos who expose themselves to unnecessary danger.

Who do you have sympathy for, in general?

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Neil

I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Ed Anger

Quote from: Neil on May 11, 2009, 01:47:54 PM
Quote from: derspiess on May 11, 2009, 12:32:52 PM
I don't usually have a whole lot of sympathy for journos.
Fixed,

Neil is correct. Journalists are, in general, scum of the earth.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

The Brain

Spies are acceptable, journos not so much.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

derspiess

Quote from: Jacob on May 11, 2009, 01:21:09 PM
Who do you have sympathy for, in general?

Leftist Danish Vancouverites in the video game industry :hug:

...in general.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Jacob

Quote from: derspiess on May 11, 2009, 02:40:14 PM
Leftist Danish Vancouverites in the video game industry :hug:

...in general.

Can't fault you on that  :lol: