News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

China and the US in the Future?

Started by Jacob, August 02, 2012, 12:33:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

What shape will US-China tension take in the next several decades?

"Oh shit, things just got real..." - aka World War style; a big, fat, destructive war.
2 (4.4%)
"Cold War" style - clear enmity, but no open conflict. Espionage, sabotage and even proxy wars, but not beyond that.
5 (11.1%)
"The Great Game" style - trying to take every advantage using every dirty trick, while pretending there is no conflict. Plenty of proxy conflicts, but none of them armed.
17 (37.8%)
"All about the money" - there's clear economic competition and some tension, but mostly it's just about doing business.
18 (40%)
"Special friendship" - tension will lessen, and the US and China will grow closer; like the EU and the US.
1 (2.2%)
Some other special option (like either or both of the countries will seize to be a significant power due to internal issues, or something else...)
2 (4.4%)

Total Members Voted: 44

Monoriu

HisMajestyBOB

China has a lot of shit that needs to be sorted out on the homefront before #1 or #2 could happen.
Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

Ideologue

Uh, did everyone just forget that the PRC will fall apart by 2030 anyway?

Voted WAR because war is fun.  At least it is when you're on the right side of a missile gap.  And they'll try to cross the staits when they begin to falter; we won't let them, because by that time people in my generation, who fucking hate the PRChinese for introducing the global economy to the concept of wage depression on the back of slave labor, will not permit it.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Monoriu on August 02, 2012, 10:40:56 PM
All about money.

Nonsense. It's about face. If it was just about the money, you wouldn't see the Olympic program, the space program, or much of the saber-rattling.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

DGuller

It's 2012.  Money can buy you a face.

Eddie Teach

It takes an awful lot of money to face-lift an entire country.

At any rate, the question is motivation. I don't think money is the motivation for the Chinese, so much as it is means to an end. Throughout history, China has thought itself the center of civilization. Until they were humbled by British cannon ships, they never even gave the matter a second thought. The current leadership is working to regain that status.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Siege

Quote from: Jacob on August 02, 2012, 12:33:19 PM
Inspired by Seedy's most recent thread. How do you think US-China relations will go over the next several decades?

Cold War.
Then WW3, possibly but not probably.

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

Razgovory

Quote from: Ideologue on August 02, 2012, 11:28:06 PM
Uh, did everyone just forget that the PRC will fall apart by 2030 anyway?

Voted WAR because war is fun.  At least it is when you're on the right side of a missile gap.  And they'll try to cross the staits when they begin to falter; we won't let them, because by that time people in my generation, who fucking hate the PRChinese for introducing the global economy to the concept of wage depression on the back of slave labor, will not permit it.

I haven't gotten to 2030, I'm still stuck at 2012.  Anything of note happening?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Razgovory

Quote from: Siege on August 05, 2012, 02:48:20 AM
Inspired by Seedy's most recent thread. How do you think US-China relations will go over the next several decades?

Cold War.

Which side will you be on?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Siege

Quote from: Razgovory on August 05, 2012, 02:54:09 AM
Quote from: Siege on August 05, 2012, 02:48:20 AM

Cold War.

Which side will you be on?

Fuck you.

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

Razgovory

Since you are a member of two armies, I think it's a legitimate question.

CountDeMoney

MadBurgerMaker

QuoteHopefully Lettow's fate

:lol:  I just noticed this.  Damn, man.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: MadBurgerMaker on August 05, 2012, 06:13:46 AM
QuoteHopefully Lettow's fate

:lol:  I just noticed this.  Damn, man.

No one is safe in an avatar war against Ed.  Not even chaste tea maidens.  Squee! Mew! Saiko!

Razgovory

When the Revolution comes the chaste tea maidens will be the first against the wall.   Well maybe the cosplayers will go first.  Room after room of bloody toy cat ears.  Squees of anguish echoing out of buildings with no windows.  The horror, the horror...