News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Covers you thought were originals

Started by Josquius, August 01, 2012, 02:29:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josquius

Over the past weekend I was at Fuji Rock.
One of the acts I saw there was a fellow named Ray Davis. I didn't know who he was* and just saw him as there was nothing else interesting on at the time and directly after him was a band I did want to see.
As I listened to him play about two songs in a song I recognise begins to be played "I'm not like everybody else" by the Television Personalities.
I think to myself "Holy cow, he wrote that? I didn't know that was a cover!".

Have any of you ever encountered something similar?
Knowing and liking a song for years only to learn at a later date that it is actually a cover?

*As time went on with this guy a few more rock classics were played but this just led me to guessing that he was an old 60s solo artist  who had slipped under my radar. Only with the really obvious stuff did I realise, 'oh shit, he's the guy from the kinks'  :blush:
██████
██████
██████

Admiral Yi

Unchained Melody by the Righeous Brothers.

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Martinus

Barrister

I'm sure I'm not the only one, but I was shocked when I learned All Along the Watchtower was written by Bob Dylan (mind you, I learned that 20+ years ago).

Also, not covers per se, but was surprised that all the great crooners (Sinatra and co.) wrote none of their own songs.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Malthus

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Sheilbh

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on August 01, 2012, 03:06:27 AM
Aretha Franklin - Respect
All the more shocking because it was originally written by Otis Redding.  It's a weird song sung by a man, 'These Boots Are Made For Walking' was also meant to be sung by a man, which would've been awful.

Tainted Love surprised me.
Let's bomb Russia!

Barrister

Quote from: Sheilbh on August 01, 2012, 09:35:58 AM
Tainted Love surprised me.

I consider myself a fan of 80s music, and I did not know this until today.  Fascinating.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Barrister on August 01, 2012, 09:40:36 AM
I consider myself a fan of 80s music, and I did not know this until today.  Fascinating.
Originally performed by Gloria Jones (it's a decent version actually).  She was also Marc Bolan's girlfriend and in the car when he died.
Let's bomb Russia!

Barrister

Quote from: Sheilbh on August 01, 2012, 09:42:02 AM
Quote from: Barrister on August 01, 2012, 09:40:36 AM
Originally performed by Gloria Jones (it's a decent version actually).  She was also Marc Bolan's girlfriend and in the car when he died.

Yeah, I googled it upon seeing your post.

It was a B-side to a failed single, that somehow became an underground dance hit 10 years later in northern England, which is where Soft Cell heard it and released their version.

Sheilbh

It's very up-tempo so I imagine it was a Northern Soul hit.  There was a weird soul subculture in towns like Wigan in the 60s and 70s.  They were noticed because they'd buy loads of records everytime one of their football teams were playing a London side.  So the record store owners started getting 'Northern Soul' stock in, basically they didn't like anything slow or 'soulful' or Motown.  They wanted small, unknown artists singing very uptempo songs.

Weird niche :)
Let's bomb Russia!

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Valmy

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

PJL

Blondie - The Tide Is High
The Clash - I Fought the Law

are two which I originally thought were originals before discovering they were covers.

garbon

Midnight Train to Georgia - Gladys Knight and the Pips
Georgia on My Mind - Ray Charles
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.