News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The World's Economic Center of Gravity

Started by Syt, July 29, 2012, 01:19:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

McKinsey have sat down and taken the geographical centers of each country and weighted them by GDP, then calculating the economic center of gravity of the world. Which creates this map:

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Razgovory

Greenland made out like bandits in the 1940's.  It's nice for Russia to be the middle of something, that is nowhere for once.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Neil

Asia is developing, no doubt about it.  We should have killed them when we had the chance.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Phillip V

It is still too northerly. Africa and Latin America need to get to work.

Neil

Quote from: Phillip V on July 29, 2012, 07:44:12 AM
Can't be done without political stability, which can't be done without civilization, which can't be done without colonization.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Phillip V

Quote from: Neil on July 29, 2012, 07:53:49 AM
Quote from: Phillip V on July 29, 2012, 07:44:12 AM
Can't be done without political stability, which can't be done without civilization, which can't be done without colonization.
Agree, but that is no longer allowed.

Neil

Unfortunately South America was colonized by Iberians.  If only the British had colonized South America, Argentina would be one of the great civilized nations of the world, and the other countries to the north wouldn't be as shit as they are now.

Kleves

Quote from: Neil on July 29, 2012, 07:42:34 AM
Asia is developing, no doubt about it.  We should have killed them when we had the chance.
When did Canada have that chance?
My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

Grey Fox

Quote from: Kleves on July 29, 2012, 08:24:11 AM

1760 - 1931
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Neil

The West, you dolt.  That's the problem with stupid people:  You always think small and tribal.

Ed Anger

Quote from: Neil on July 29, 2012, 08:22:18 AM
Unfortunately South America was colonized by Iberians.  If only the British had colonized South America, Argentina would be one of the great civilized nations of the world, and the other countries to the north wouldn't be as shit as they are now.

You'd think all those Germans in Argieland would have helped.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Razgovory

Quote from: Neil on July 29, 2012, 08:27:15 AM
The West, you dolt.  That's the problem with stupid people:  You always think small and tribal.

Says the guy who claims to be an "ethnic Albertan".
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Kleves

The West, you dolt.
You have as much right to use "we" when talking about Western military adventures in Asia as Martinus does, you dumb canuck.
My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

Neil

Quote from: Kleves on July 29, 2012, 01:58:07 PM
The West, you dolt.
You have as much right to use "we" when talking about Western military adventures in Asia as Martinus does, you dumb canuck.
Except that I'm actually from the West. 

Razgovory

Quote from: Neil on July 29, 2012, 02:30:07 PM
Quote from: Kleves on July 29, 2012, 01:58:07 PM
The West, you dolt.
Except that I'm actually from the West.

Yes, but you live in a country without a military.  It's like an Icelander talking saying "we" when discussing Western military adventures.