News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The World's Economic Center of Gravity

Started by Syt, July 29, 2012, 01:19:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Monoriu

I think the consultants have too much time on their hands. 

Crazy_Ivan80

Quote from: Ed Anger on July 29, 2012, 12:33:13 PM
Quote from: Neil on July 29, 2012, 08:22:18 AM
Unfortunately South America was colonized by Iberians.  If only the British had colonized South America, Argentina would be one of the great civilized nations of the world, and the other countries to the north wouldn't be as shit as they are now.

You'd think all those Germans in Argieland would have helped.

they probably did,which just shows eh

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Neil on July 29, 2012, 07:42:34 AM
Asia is developing, no doubt about it.  We should have killed them when we had the chance.
Nixon's fault. :contract:

He should have let the Soviets hammer them in '69
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Eddie Teach

Santa's workshop has clearly been slacking off since 2000.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Neil

Quote from: jimmy olsen on July 30, 2012, 08:13:08 PM
Quote from: Neil on July 29, 2012, 07:42:34 AM
Asia is developing, no doubt about it.  We should have killed them when we had the chance.
Nixon's fault. :contract:

He should have let the Soviets hammer them in '69
It was important to weaken the Russians.  They're no better.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Queequeg

Unfortunately South America was colonized by Iberians.  If only the British had colonized South America, Argentina would be one of the great civilized nations of the world, and the other countries to the north wouldn't be as shit as they are now.
I think there's a real argument to be made that Argentina is as much Italian as it is Iberian, down to the political culture.
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Neil

Quote from: Queequeg on July 30, 2012, 09:48:11 PM
I think there's a real argument to be made that Argentina is as much Italian as it is Iberian, down to the political culture.
But isn't that still retarded?
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Sheilbh

I think Argentina's political climate is simply unique.  Its closest comparisons are with other Latin American states, not Italy, Spain or Germany.  Even then Argentina's special.

:wub:
Let's bomb Russia!

Josquius

Britain did pretty much colonise Argentina didn't they? It was perhaps the nation most heavily under the wing of the informal empire and rather a lot of Brits settled there. I know Argentina is famous for its once upon a time Welsh speaking community- undoubtedly where they got their sense of fairplay from.  :bowler:

Anyway, to the map- I'd like to see a version which ignores that the earth is a sphere and instead imagines it as a cylinder, this north polewards tug on the map suggests a thriving hollow earth.
██████
██████
██████

Valmy

Quote from: Sheilbh on July 30, 2012, 10:36:57 PM
I think Argentina's political climate is simply unique.  Its closest comparisons are with other Latin American states, not Italy, Spain or Germany.  Even then Argentina's special.

The way is squanders its resources and its people's future with monumentally short sided and self-destructive policies in a pathetic cycle of boom and collapse?  If only that was unique and special.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Ed Anger

I wish I hadn't made the Argie-Nazi joke now.  :glare:
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

PJL

Anyone else see the irony of Afghanistan being the centre of world economic activity for much for at least the first 1000 years AD?

Zanza

The Silk Route that connected some of the most prosperous regions in the world crossed or at least ran very closely to Afghanistan.

Syt

Quote from: PJL on July 31, 2012, 02:42:34 PM
Anyone else see the irony of Afghanistan being the centre of world economic activity for much for at least the first 1000 years AD?

That's not what the map says.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.