News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

How to fight nepotism?

Started by Martinus, July 27, 2012, 10:48:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

dps

Quote from: Razgovory on July 29, 2012, 08:07:18 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on July 29, 2012, 03:26:42 PM
I took from dps' comments that he was referring to a privately owned company.  Of course if we're talking about a publicly traded company nepotism can be a betrayal of fiduciary duty--to shareholders, not the public at large.

And if you were an employee of a privately owned company that where management was all from the same inbred family blocking further advancement and possibly putting your job at risk, would that cause you to bear ill will towards their nepotism?

Sure, but I don't think it's society's job to solve all of my problems for me.

Razgovory

Yeah, it's the old "It's only corruption cause it affects me".  I understand.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Admiral Yi

:lol: No you don't.

If I'm trying to bang some chick and she picks another guy, I'm disappointed.  But I don't think it's reasonable that the government pass a law that says she has to bang me and not the other guy and it's stupid to describe the chick as corrupt.  Similarly if two random dudes are competing for a chick I don't particularly care who wins out.

Razgovory

Shame we are talking about nepotism and not you trying to get in a chicks pants.

Admiral Yi

:lol:

I'm starting to come to the conclusion that you're particularly hopeless at night.

Razgovory

Quote from: Admiral Yi on July 30, 2012, 01:53:14 AM
:lol:

I'm starting to come to the conclusion that you're particularly hopeless at night.

I figured you saw this coming yesterday.  I'm a bit shocked you walked into that one. :D

Razgovory

And yes, I am conceding I'm dicking around.

Josquius

Nepotism is the devil and needs stamping out.

One problem is though...how can you tell when its nepotism at work (i.e. I hired him because he is my friend) and when its just a fact of knowing that person better (i.e. I was at uni at him and from that know he is clever and a good team player).
██████
██████
██████

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Admiral Yi on July 30, 2012, 01:49:22 AM
But I don't think it's reasonable that the government pass a law that says she has to bang me

That would be pretty cool, though.

Martinus

If I'm trying to bang some chick and she picks another guy, I'm disappointed.  But I don't think it's reasonable that the government pass a law that says she has to bang me and not the other guy and it's stupid to describe the chick as corrupt.  Similarly if two random dudes are competing for a chick I don't particularly care who wins out.

Worst. Analogy. Ever.  :lol:

garbon

Quote from: Martinus on July 30, 2012, 05:25:48 AM

No. You're apparently forgetting that you've had some doozies.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

dps

Quote from: Razgovory on July 30, 2012, 12:57:45 AM
Yeah, it's the old "It's only corruption cause it affects me".  I understand.

That might, if you really twist what he said, fit Yi's answer to your question, but not mine. 

grumbler

Unwise nepotism in privately-held companies is self-correcting; these businesses are in a competitive environment, and incompetence is punished (properly) by their competitors, not some mythical omniscient government bureaucrat.  There are plenty of examples of junior taking over the company just because he is dad's son, and driving the company out of business.  The employees "suffer" just like they do in all cases of companies going bankrupt, in that they then go to work for the competitor (or, at least the good ones do, and who wants the government to protect incompetent workers).

The people who unwisely engage in nepotism are the types who unwisely engage in other business decision-making.  Let 'em bankrupt themselves; saving them from themselves isn't the government's business.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Martinus on July 30, 2012, 05:25:48 AM

Your handful of functioning neurons have given up out of loneliness.  The analogy is flawless.  It demonstrates perfectly that not every frustrated wish is an injustice.