News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

How to fight nepotism?

Started by Martinus, July 27, 2012, 10:48:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DGuller

Quote from: dps on July 27, 2012, 06:24:03 PM
I don't see nepotism in private businesses as being a problem.  I mean, it might be a problem in an individual company if the family members being hired are incompetant or trouble-makers or somesuch, but it's not a problem for society as a whole, and it's not something that's appropriate for society to attempt to fight.
To some extent, I think it is a problem.  Corporate nepotism technically embezzles from the shareholders.  I don't think that embezzlement by corporate officers is one of those inefficiencies we trust the free market to solve.

dps

Quote from: CountDeMoney on July 27, 2012, 06:32:26 PM
I don't see nepotism in private businesses as being a problem.

Maybe not "family" nepotism, but certainly "friends" nepotism.

Quotebut it's not a problem for society as a whole, and it's not something that's appropriate for society to attempt to fight.

The fuck it isn't.

Why?

CountDeMoney

Quote from: dps on July 27, 2012, 06:42:07 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on July 27, 2012, 06:32:26 PM
but it's not a problem for society as a whole, and it's not something that's appropriate for society to attempt to fight.

The fuck it isn't.

Why?

"Friends" nepotism is just as damaging as "family" nepotism;  it possesses the potential to cloud judgment and blur loyalty.

And why is it appropriate for society to attempt to fight it?  Because it was fighting that exact kind of bullshit that was the bedrock of the fucking American Revolution, that's why.

crazy canuck

I don't see nepotism in private businesses as being a problem.  I mean, it might be a problem in an individual company if the family members being hired are incompetant or trouble-makers or somesuch, but it's not a problem for society as a whole, and it's not something that's appropriate for society to attempt to fight.

Nepotism in government hiring is a different story.

You would take a different view if you were the owner or shareholder of said company and the people you hire to run the company engage in nepotism.

Sheilbh

I don't think nepotism's limited to the government, though it's a problem there.  I think it's far more widespread and maybe even more damaging outside of government :mellow:
Let's bomb Russia!

Sheilbh

Quote from: crazy canuck on July 27, 2012, 07:07:38 PM
You would take a different view if you were the owner or shareholder of said company and the people you hire to run the company engage in nepotism.
And if nepotism becomes so widespread that it starts to hinder social mobility then it's a problem for everyone, private sector or not.
Let's bomb Russia!

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Sheilbh on July 27, 2012, 07:51:40 PM
And if nepotism becomes so widespread that it starts to hinder social mobility then it's a problem for everyone, private sector or not.

This.  Meritocracy, not birth right.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Admiral Yi on July 27, 2012, 08:07:19 PM
This.  Meritocracy, not birth right.
Indeed.  I also think that this is absolutely essential if you've got high social inequality (like the UK and US).  If the meritocracy bit stops working then there inequality becomes intolerable.
Let's bomb Russia!

Scipio

The Romans believed in nepotism, in large part because most Roman (political) positions were only good for a year, and you couldn't run for them again until at least a decade had passed.  So if the asshole and his asshole cousins, kids, and grandkids fucked everything up for a year, you likely would never have to deal with their shit again, but definitely for at least 10 years.
What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt

Martinus

Perhaps it's a question of transparency - to what extent is there a requirement in your countries for public employees to e.g. disclose their family ties with e.g. politicians who have a say in their appointment? Or to disclose their salaries?

Here a problem is stuff like a niece of a minister getting a useless "consultancy" job created for her in a state owned company and being paid good money for it (at least by average Pole's standards).

Of course it cuts the other way too - if you have a powerful dad, you might be the most qualified person but everyone thinks you are a useless tit who got his job thanks to family connections.

The Brain

Swedish government is very open with information because of the Principle of Public Access, which was introduced by the Freedom of the Press Act of 1766.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Martinus

Quote from: The Brain on July 28, 2012, 02:23:04 AM
Swedish government is very open with information because of the Principle of Public Access, which was introduced by the Freedom of the Press Act of 1766.

Yeah but then (or is it Norway?) everyone can view everyone's tax statement, too, so Swedes are weird that way. Catholic and post-communist countries are much more awkward about making a lot of stuff publicly known.

Neil

Trying to stop nepotism?  Poland can't even do 1%ers right.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

dps

Quote from: crazy canuck on July 27, 2012, 07:07:38 PM

Nepotism in government hiring is a different story.

No, then it's time for the shareholders to either make the board curtail the nepotism or to replace the board members.

And yes, I know that shareholder's revolts rarely accomplish much, but if the people who own the company don't give a shit about how it's doing, why should the rest of us?  This sounds like something along the lines of the "too big to fail bullshit" to me

Siege

When I become liege lord of Europe, I'll make sure my vassals eliminate corruption in their domains.
My liege lord would likely require this of me anyway.

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"