News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

How to fight nepotism?

Started by Martinus, July 27, 2012, 10:48:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Martinus

Poland is now having another nepotism scandal, with friends and family of politicians getting well paid jobs in the government bureaucracy and stuff controlled by the state and municipalities (e.g. hospitals, schools, state owned companies etc.)

So I wanted to ask whether nepotism is ubiquitous in your countries and if not, how do you prevent it?

Martim Silva

In Portugal, it is the norm - you *cannot* reach certain levels in our society unless you're born into the 'right' families. If you're not a highborn, forget about the top spots. Personal merit is irrelevant.

The highborns, of course, are appointed regardless of merit - they regard those places as rightfully theirs/of their families.

Our current PM, for example, only had a real job at age 37 - before that, when he left the univerity he was appointed city councillor by his family's friends at the Social Democratic Party for 4 years (and he never bothered to show up at city hall), and then he spent the next 10 years as VP in his Fathers' company (where he never did anything except get a huge paycheck at the end of the month). Only at 37 did he took a high position at one of his daddy's friends' company.

The Brain

Government people giving their friends and relatives jobs isn't a huge problem in Sweden. Sure it happens but it's not the traditional Swedish way of being corrupt.

And of course generally speaking Sweden has only minor problems with corruption compared with the world average.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Iormlund

Quote from: Martinus on July 27, 2012, 10:48:18 AM
So I wanted to ask whether nepotism is ubiquitous in your countries...

Yes.

Barrister

Hardly ubiquitous, but it does happen.  It can be a particular problem in the rather nebulous world of political appointments.

Your run of the mill public service opening has a large, professional process for hiring people which is supposed to weed out any such thing.  And by and large it does a good job of it.  But you have a number of positions, which in overall proportion are small, but still constitute a fair number, which are appointed directly by cabinet.  Heads of various tribbunals, judges, that kind of thing.  And the temptation to make a nepotism appointment is high.

That being said... there is some merit to nepotism.  If I'm hiring for my company, I know that my nephew is likely to be more loyal to the company than a stranger.  I know that if I hire my trusted employee's wife, that means they are both more likely to stay.

As long as the potential nepotee (is that a word?) is qualified.  Trouble is when you hire an unqualified family member...
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

CountDeMoney

Can't fight it short of guillotines.

Crazy_Ivan80

Quote from: CountDeMoney on July 27, 2012, 11:42:52 AM
Can't fight it short of guillotines.

and even then, as the executioner will most likely be someone who got the position thanks to his uncle.

crazy canuck

Here sons of politicians seem to think they should also be politicians.  But at least the electorate has to agree.

alfred russel

Quote from: Barrister on July 27, 2012, 11:41:02 AM
I know that if I hire my trusted employee's wife, that means they are both more likely to stay.

Danger! If you lose one (such as if you have to terminate one, have a disagreement leading to a resignation, general job dissatisfaction, etc.) you will probably lose both.

But you have a point.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

crazy canuck

I know that if I hire my trusted employee's wife, that means they are both more likely to stay.

What you know for sure is that your trusted employee now has divided loyalty.  That sort of thing always has problems.

ulmont

Quote from: alfred russel on July 27, 2012, 01:23:08 PM

Danger! If you lose one (such as if you have to terminate one, have a disagreement leading to a resignation, general job dissatisfaction, etc.) you will probably lose both.

Also, if they divorce, one of them's probably moving on.

MadImmortalMan

In my company there are firewall rules about this. It's a big no-no to have family members working with you. We did however, hire one gay guy's boyfriend. They've been living together for like ten years so I guess they'd be married if they could. Lucky for them they can't or the second guy couldn't work there. He just got promoted actually.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

alfred russel

Quote from: ulmont on July 27, 2012, 01:57:35 PM
Quote from: alfred russel on July 27, 2012, 01:23:08 PM

Also, if they divorce, one of them's probably moving on.

Or worse, both stay put.  :ph34r:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

dps

I don't see nepotism in private businesses as being a problem.  I mean, it might be a problem in an individual company if the family members being hired are incompetant or trouble-makers or somesuch, but it's not a problem for society as a whole, and it's not something that's appropriate for society to attempt to fight.

Nepotism in government hiring is a different story.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: dps on July 27, 2012, 06:24:03 PM
I don't see nepotism in private businesses as being a problem.

Maybe not "family" nepotism, but certainly "friends" nepotism.

Quotebut it's not a problem for society as a whole, and it's not something that's appropriate for society to attempt to fight.

The fuck it isn't.