And we're back!

Main Menu

How to fight nepotism?

Started by Martinus, July 27, 2012, 10:48:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

crazy canuck

Quote from: Sheilbh on July 27, 2012, 07:51:40 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on July 27, 2012, 07:07:38 PM
You would take a different view if you were the owner or shareholder of said company and the people you hire to run the company engage in nepotism.
And if nepotism becomes so widespread that it starts to hinder social mobility then it's a problem for everyone, private sector or not.

I agree Sheilbh.

Razgovory

Strikes me as odd that people would consider private nepotism different the public nepotism.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

sbr

Quote from: Razgovory on July 28, 2012, 10:17:17 PM
Strikes me as odd that people would consider private nepotism different the public nepotism.

Why is that?  Don't you see a difference between me hiring my brother to help me run my small business and my appointing him to a publically funded political position?

Siege

Raz is a retard.
News at eleven.

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

Razgovory

Quote from: sbr on July 28, 2012, 10:47:41 PM

Why is that?  Don't you see a difference between me hiring my brother to help me run my small business and my appointing him to a publically funded political position?

Corruption is corruption.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

sbr

Quote from: Razgovory on July 28, 2012, 11:25:55 PM
Quote from: sbr on July 28, 2012, 10:47:41 PM

Corruption is corruption.

Looks like we have different definitions of corruption.

Razgovory

If something is considered corruption in one organization for one person why should it be different then another in another?

sbr

Because I don't think it is corruption to hire who I want to help me run my privately owned business.

Syt

Quote from: sbr on July 28, 2012, 11:35:48 PM
Because I don't think it is corruption to hire who I want to help me run my privately owned business.

What if someone in the lower ranks in your company hires his best buddy?
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Razgovory

Yet presumably you would think it corruption for someone to do so in a public capacity?  Is there some sort of purify that expunges any hint of corruption when you go from public to private?

Syt

Quote from: Razgovory on July 28, 2012, 11:39:27 PM

Yet presumably you would think it corruption for someone to do so in a public capacity?  Is there some sort of purify that expunges any hint of corruption when you go from public to private?

In one case he's using his own money, in another someone else's (the taxpayers').
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

sbr

Who pays them

See syt's answer

Razgovory

Okay, then.  Let's back up.  Why is public nepotism bad?  Not why is it bad compared to private, but why is it bad at all?  What makes it wrong?

Admiral Yi

Public nepotism is bad because of the diminished service we recieve for our tax dolar.  Potentially.  It is of course possible that the police chief's nephew is a crime fighting machine without equal.

Razgovory

Quote from: Admiral Yi on July 28, 2012, 11:45:59 PM
Public nepotism is bad because of the diminished service we recieve for our tax dolar.  Potentially.  It is of course possible that the police chief's nephew is a crime fighting machine without equal.

And I thought you were going to come in and warn Sbr not to answer the question.