News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

MTA considering charging $1 "Green Fee"

Started by garbon, July 27, 2012, 10:14:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CountDeMoney

Quote from: garbon on July 27, 2012, 11:15:38 AM
Is this what is going to happen every time I call you out on something?

Probably, yeah.

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: garbon on July 27, 2012, 11:23:25 AM
Lame. :thumbsdown:

What's lame is insisting on using rechargeable plastic metrocards anyway;  DC's Metro uses rechargeable paper passes.  So, they're reusable AND biodegradable.  Makes more sense.

And besides, arguable "green" initiative aside, who better to pay for the "MTA launching 5 bus routes, adding commuter rail runs and boosting other service in $29.5 million plan" than the users themselves, instead of taxpayers like Berkut, who doesn't use it at all?  That's so much more libertarian, no?

Neil

Quote from: CountDeMoney on July 27, 2012, 11:30:04 AM
What's lame is insisting on using rechargeable plastic metrocards anyway
Nothing.  That's the most sensible solution, and so there's nothing wrong with financially punishing people who don't want to go along with it.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

garbon

What's lame is insisting on using rechargeable plastic metrocards anyway;  DC's Metro uses rechargeable paper passes.  So, they're reusable AND biodegradable.  Makes more sense.

Paper cards are much more susceptible to wear and tear so it seems like they'd be much more susceptible to creating additional clutter than plastic.

And besides, arguable "green" initiative aside, who better to pay for the "MTA launching 5 bus routes, adding commuter rail runs and boosting other service in $29.5 million plan" than the users themselves, instead of taxpayers like Berkut, who doesn't use it at all?  That's so much more libertarian, no?

The users do pay. The MTA hikes up its fares like every few seconds. That's what is so grating about this green initiative as it looks simply like an end-run around the typical ever-present fare hikes.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

Quote from: Neil on July 27, 2012, 12:02:52 PM
there's nothing wrong with financially punishing people who don't want to go along with it.

Tourists don't really have a chance of "going along with it" as they probably aren't keep cards to bring with them on their next trip. :D

CountDeMoney

Quote from: garbon on July 27, 2012, 12:16:55 PM
Paper cards are much more susceptible to wear and tear so it seems like they'd be much more susceptible to creating additional clutter than plastic.

Biodegradable clutter is better than non-biodegradable clutter.  Hell, even Baltimore's pseudo-subway's weekly and monthly passes are still paper.

QuoteThe users do pay. The MTA hikes up its fares like every few seconds. That's what is so grating about this green initiative as it looks simply like an end-run around the typical ever-present fare hikes.

Price to pay for maintaining necessary infrastructure.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: garbon on July 27, 2012, 12:19:02 PM
Quote from: Neil on July 27, 2012, 12:02:52 PM
there's nothing wrong with financially punishing people who don't want to go along with it.

Tourists don't really have a chance of "going along with it" as they probably aren't keep cards to bring with them on their next trip. :D

They're too busy getting raped by the cabbies by substantially more than $1, anyway.

garbon

Quote from: CountDeMoney on July 27, 2012, 12:20:34 PM
Biodegradable clutter is better than non-biodegradable clutter.  Hell, even Baltimore's pseudo-subway's weekly and monthly passes are still paper.

I don't know there is some intersection between the more limited non-biodegradable vs more biodegradable clutter where it no longer make sense to opt for the latter.

Quote from: CountDeMoney on July 27, 2012, 12:20:34 PM
Price to pay for maintaining necessary infrastructure.

Price to pay for maintaining a unionized workforce.  Hidden fees repackaged as a green initiative is a see-through PR attempt.  I will happily note though that the MTA is taking the union to task over pay increases. :)

garbon

Quote from: CountDeMoney on July 27, 2012, 12:21:49 PM
They're too busy getting raped by the cabbies by substantially more than $1, anyway.

Cabs aren't bad. For about 8 bucks (without tip), I can get from 42nd to Houston on the westside during non-rush hour times. That's more than the $3.25 one is looking at with this new initiative...but has the added perks of being much quicker and one doesn't have to spend time in the furnace-like subway stations. ;)

derspiess

I'm almost glad the Cincinnati subway was never completed.  It'd be cool and all, but they'd probably try to do some similar "green fee" bullshit.

Oh well, at least we have an expensive streetcar project that will probably fall way short of expectations.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Neil

Quote from: garbon on July 27, 2012, 12:28:02 PM
Cabs aren't bad. For about 8 bucks (without tip), I can get from 42nd to Houston on the westside during non-rush hour times. That's more than the $3.25 one is looking at with this new initiative...but has the added perks of being much quicker and one doesn't have to spend time in the furnace-like subway stations. ;)
New York doesn't have AC in the subway?
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

CountDeMoney

You don't look like you have a "HELLO MY NAME IS FROM OUT OF TOWN" on you.  The cabbies know who their marks are.

DGuller

Quote from: derspiess on July 27, 2012, 12:44:36 PM
I'm almost glad the Cincinnati subway was never completed.  It'd be cool and all, but they'd probably try to do some similar "green fee" bullshit.

Oh well, at least we have an expensive streetcar project that will probably fall way short of expectations.
:lol: Yes, the presence of "green fees" is a deciding factor in questions like this.

garbon

Quote from: Neil on July 27, 2012, 12:51:12 PM
New York doesn't have AC in the subway?

In trains - yes, stations - no.