News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

MTA considering charging $1 "Green Fee"

Started by garbon, July 27, 2012, 10:14:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: garbon on July 27, 2012, 12:57:57 PM
In trains - yes, stations - no.

There are some AC units in stations but they aren't big enough to cool off the whole platform.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

garbon

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on July 27, 2012, 02:10:59 PM
Quote from: garbon on July 27, 2012, 12:57:57 PM
In trains - yes, stations - no.

There are some AC units in stations but they aren't big enough to cool off the whole platform.

New York mag article I linked to said that a few of the stations have "chiller units" that sound like water coolers.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Valmy

I hear the MTA has huge budget deficits I guess this is one of their solutions.  You put 'green' in front of something and people will pay. 
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

garbon

Quote from: Valmy on July 27, 2012, 02:45:56 PM
You put 'green' in front of something and people will pay. 

This is New York. I don't think they are going to trick anyone with that move. ;)

And note - I'm not saying New Yorkers are unusually bright, they just tend to be a very skeptical bunch.

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: Brazen on July 27, 2012, 10:21:02 AM
There's a £5 deposit on a Transport For London Oyster Card, but it's refundable if you return it.

I actually still have a couple of oyster cards. Can I redeem them by mail?  :P
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Admiral Yi

garbon

Quote from: Admiral Yi on July 27, 2012, 03:58:38 PM
Why is it called Oyster Card?

QuoteThe Oyster brand name was agreed after a lengthy period of research managed by TranSys, the company contracted to deliver the ticketing system, and agreed by TfL. Several names were considered, and Oyster was chosen as a fresh approach that was not directly linked to transport, ticketing or London. According to Andrew McCrum, now of Appella brand name consultants, who was brought in to find a name by Saatchi and Saatchi Design (in turn contracted by TranSys), Oyster was conceived and promoted because of the metaphorical implications of security and value in the component meanings of the hard bivalve shell and the concealed pearl; the association of London and the River Thames with oysters, and the well-known travel-related idiom "the world is your oyster".

Branding agency.

mongers

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on July 27, 2012, 03:56:58 PM
Quote from: Brazen on July 27, 2012, 10:21:02 AM
There's a £5 deposit on a Transport For London Oyster Card, but it's refundable if you return it.

I actually still have a couple of oyster cards. Can I redeem them by mail?  :P

I returned my Oyster card for the refund and ..... it's the only time my credit card number was ever stolen, it happened within days on a hardly used card.
Oh and for some reason they crook only used it on London station train fares, co-incidence ?   :hmm:

edit:
I presume this is the case as whilst they have online payment via CCs and debit cards, the refund procedure seems to be entirely manual/clerical, so I'm guessing whoever processed the paper work for a cheque to be posted, had the opportunity to see full details of the original transaction.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Tonitrus

Quote from: CountDeMoney on July 27, 2012, 11:30:04 AM
Quote from: garbon on July 27, 2012, 11:23:25 AM
Lame. :thumbsdown:

What's lame is insisting on using rechargeable plastic metrocards anyway;  DC's Metro uses rechargeable paper passes.  So, they're reusable AND biodegradable.  Makes more sense.

The obvious solution is to implant commuters with rechargeable microchips.

Or make public transport free.  After all, roads are free.

dps

Quote from: Tonitrus on July 27, 2012, 06:20:38 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on July 27, 2012, 11:30:04 AM
Quote from: garbon on July 27, 2012, 11:23:25 AM
Lame. :thumbsdown:

What's lame is insisting on using rechargeable plastic metrocards anyway;  DC's Metro uses rechargeable paper passes.  So, they're reusable AND biodegradable.  Makes more sense.

The obvious solution is to implant commuters with rechargeable microchips.

Or make public transport free.  After all, roads are free.

In theory at least, I wouldn't mind if local taxes were raised slightly to cover making public transportation actually free to the public.  In practice, since I very rarely used public transportation even when we lived in Charleston (where the local public bus service was actually pretty decent), I don't care for the idea.  Here in Goldsboro, there really isn't any public transportation to speak of anyway.  Well, there is a bus authority, but it's pretty much a joke.

CountDeMoney

DGuller

Actually, that's an interesting question.  Why should mass transit have fares?  It's subsidized heavily anyway, why not subsidize it entirely?  Usually the answer to such questions is that you don't want over-utilization, but is anyone really going to over-utilize mass transit?

Tonitrus

Quote from: DGuller on July 27, 2012, 07:03:10 PM
Actually, that's an interesting question.  Why should mass transit have fares?  It's subsidized heavily anyway, why not subsidize it entirely?  Usually the answer to such questions is that you don't want over-utilization, but is anyone really going to over-utilize mass transit?

I suppose you could argue that bums would go round-and-round the city and offend the working masses that must endure mass transit, instead of just taking up sidewalk space.