News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

MTA considering charging $1 "Green Fee"

Started by garbon, July 27, 2012, 10:14:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/mta-officials-portraying-proposal-charge-1-new-metrocard-evironmentally-friendly-initiative-agency-reap-20-million-article-1.1122859

Some people have an abiding respect for the functional beauty of their subway station. Most people don't.

In the name of Mother Earth — and with visions of cleaner subway stations — the MTA is considering tacking on a $1 "green fee" to the price of a new MetroCard.

Reducing the amount of plastic that gets tossed to the subway floor and then entombed in the ground for eternity is hardly a bad goal.

A MetroCard surcharge on top of yet another fare hike, however, stinks like the bottom of a subway stairwell after a Rangers game.

A Metropolitan Transportation Authority spokesman couldn't immediately say how many MetroCards wind up in landfills, but the agency prints about 160 million of the plastic travel passes a year. It's simply too much for the origami enthusiasts to take care of.

If the environment, and not raising money, is the concern then the MTA could just as easily program MetroCard vending machines to give a small discount for recycling a card and extending its useful life.

And if the MTA is really serious about improving its image, then this idea has to be trashed. Riders will just think the authority is trying to nickel and dime them.

Besides, the MetroCard's days supposedly are numbered anyway. The MTA has said for years it's moving to a system where riders will be able to tap debit or credit cards at turnstile sensors. If riders throw them on the floor, they won't stay there very long.

Not a fan of this initiative. I'm glad that they finally rolled out rechargeable unlimited cards but tacking on a fee for getting a new card? Seems shady given that all Metrocards have a final expiration date, after which you can reload them anymore.

Also, sounds like a tourist tax...though as a resident I guess I don't have a problem with that. :D
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

CountDeMoney

I approve of the implementation of said fee.

Brazen

There's a £5 deposit on a Transport For London Oyster Card, but it's refundable if you return it.

garbon

Quote from: CountDeMoney on July 27, 2012, 10:19:26 AM

On what basis? It is clearly just a revenue generating mechanism outside of the allowed fare hikes. Don't see any evidence it'd be going to environmental charities or anything of the like.

I did see though this in another article though: "And the surcharge would not be imposed when a rider with an expired MetroCard is buying a new MetroCard, Lisberg said." which makes it mostly an non-issue for me then as I'm always just re-using cards.  (Though through cards inherited from guests, I've 5 metrocards in my wallet. :D
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

Quote from: Brazen on July 27, 2012, 10:21:02 AM
There's a £5 deposit on a Transport For London Oyster Card, but it's refundable if you return it.

The equivalent there though would just be a surcharge on a typical tube ticket.

The Minsky Moment

Increasing the cost of a ride ---> less usage and more cab rides ----> bad for environment
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

CountDeMoney

Quote from: garbon on July 27, 2012, 10:24:47 AM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on July 27, 2012, 10:19:26 AM

On what basis? It is clearly just a revenue generating mechanism outside of the allowed fare hikes. Don't see any evidence it'd be going to environmental charities or anything of the like.

On the basis that it will force the ridership to do what they won't do themselves:  protecting the environment from themselves. It doesn't have to go to environmental charities;  it's going to improving the system itself.

So yeah, I once again shit upon your libertyness and freedomism.

Quote(Though through cards inherited from guests, I've 5 metrocards in my wallet. :D

See, now you're thinking.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on July 27, 2012, 10:29:49 AM
Increasing the cost of a ride ---> less usage and more cab rides ----> bad for environment

Balderdash.  Poppycock.

DGuller

Back in college, I used to be very bad about disposing of used Metrocards.  When the Metrocard was used up, I would just keep it in the wallet, along with other used up Metrocards.  Finally, when my right buttock was aching too much, I decided to clean out the stack of used Metrocards from my wallet.  It was 38 cards in total.

garbon

Quote from: CountDeMoney on July 27, 2012, 10:31:18 AM
On the basis that it will force the ridership to do what they won't do themselves:  protecting the environment from themselves. It doesn't have to go to environmental charities;  it's going to improving the system itself.

Will it though? Besides as the article pointed out - if this wasn't really about MTA revenue gain, they could always provide a discount to encourage this.  And no need for the fare-jack to be a whole buck which is approximately 50% of the current metrocard cost.

Oh and Joan's right in that the higher it goes, the more reasonable it is to just take a cab. ;)

HisMajestyBOB

In communist Shanghai, one-trip tickets are on plastic cards that the turnstile keeps when you exit, and rechargable ones never expire. Same in Seoul - I used one metro card for the two years I was there. If I returned, it would still work.
Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

CountDeMoney

Quote from: garbon on July 27, 2012, 10:44:34 AM

Will it though? Besides as the article pointed out - if this wasn't really about MTA revenue gain, they could always provide a discount to encourage this.  And no need for the fare-jack to be a whole buck which is approximately 50% of the current metrocard cost.

I stand by my position of increasing revenue at a cost to consumers.

Neil

Quote from: CountDeMoney on July 27, 2012, 10:58:16 AM
What's your stance on increasing shareholder value?
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Neil on July 27, 2012, 11:05:24 AM
What's your stance on increasing shareholder value?

Depends on which end of the M & A I'm on, smart guy.

garbon

Quote from: CountDeMoney on July 27, 2012, 10:58:16 AM

Is this what is going to happen every time I call you out on something?