1981 News Report on Receiving Newspapers through the Internet

Started by alfred russel, May 10, 2009, 11:40:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

alfred russel

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5WCTn4FljUQ

Lots of amusing aspects to the clip:
--the rotary phones and old computers
--that the guy being interviewed dressed up in a suit
--that the local newspapers were "investing a lot of money" to send the newspapers for free, without ads
--the newspapers had no interest in making money on the project
--the prediction that the day would come that all newspapers and magazines would come by computer
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

sbr

Martinus

Hehe. I especially love the last comment from the journalist how this is not going to fly, because it takes 2 hours to get an entire edition via phone line.

Still, it's even more amazing if you consider countries like Poland - I mean in 1981, noone dreamed of even having a home computer, not to mention an internet connection. Now we are not far behind the US (the only thing that keeps us behind is lack of good landline infrastructure so the cable internet is not as fast as it could be).

Martinus

Quote from: sbr on May 10, 2009, 11:59:15 AM
2-3000 home computer owners in the Bay Area?  :lol:
I love how the guy being interviewed has "Home Computer Owner" next to his name.  :lol:

alfred russel

Quote from: Martinus on May 10, 2009, 12:01:30 PM
Quote from: sbr on May 10, 2009, 11:59:15 AM
2-3000 home computer owners in the Bay Area?  :lol:
I love how the guy being interviewed has "Home Computer Owner" next to his name.  :lol:

:D good catch, I missed that.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)

Martinus

Anyway, I think it is amazing that during our lifetimes there has been a paradigm shift/revolution that easily rivals those started by the invention of the movable type or the steam engine. I don't think we appreciate it enough.

alfred russel

Quote from: Martinus on May 10, 2009, 12:04:40 PM
Anyway, I think it is amazing that during our lifetimes there has been a paradigm shift/revolution that easily rivals those started by the invention of the movable type or the steam engine. I don't think we appreciate it enough.

The pace of the paradigm shifts is moving incredibly fast. Think of all the major inventions that you can't imagine life without: electricity, the car, the telephone, televison/radio. The internet is hard to imagine life without, and it just got here in a big way 10-15 years ago.

Syt

I raise 1969 internet shopping and webcams:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0pPfyYtiBc&feature=related
:P

Earlier on Discovery had one of those "technology of tomorrow" kind of shows. Makes you wonder what, in 20 years, will be way off, what will be spot on, and what will have been underestimated.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

sbr

Quote from: Syt on May 10, 2009, 12:41:45 PM

Earlier on Discovery had one of those "technology of tomorrow" kind of shows. Makes you wonder what, in 20 years, will be way off, what will be spot on, and what will have been underestimated.
(:40)" What the wife selects at her console will be paid for by the husband on his counterpart console."

:mad:

Make her buy her own shit.

Syt

Quote from: sbr on May 10, 2009, 12:46:48 PM
(:40)" What the wife selects at her console will be paid for by the husband on his counterpart console."

Yeah, that bit was great. :lol:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

alfred russel

I guess they were so busy predicting the internet revolution 30 years away that they missed the sexual revolution going on right then. :D

Josquius

Seen it before, good stuff. Both of them. Damn woman looking at warez.
██████
██████
██████

garbon

What's up with people posting all this news about SF? No one cares about that. :P
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Razgovory

Quote from: Martinus on May 10, 2009, 12:00:25 PM

Still, it's even more amazing if you consider countries like Poland - I mean in 1981, noone dreamed of even having a home computer, not to mention an internet connection. Now we are not far behind the US (the only thing that keeps us behind is lack of good landline infrastructure so the cable internet is not as fast as it could be).

People in Poland were dreaming of a day they could buy sausage without standing in a line for 6 hours.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Grey Fox

Quote from: sbr on May 10, 2009, 12:46:48 PM

:mad:

Make her buy her own shit.

It's 1969, she ain't got no money!

Those were the times.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.