1981 News Report on Receiving Newspapers through the Internet

Started by alfred russel, May 10, 2009, 11:40:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DGuller

CountDeMoney

Quote from: alfred russel on May 10, 2009, 11:40:59 AM
Lots of amusing aspects to the clip:
--the rotary phones

You got a problem with rotary phones, asshole?

jimmy olsen

Quote from: DGuller on May 10, 2009, 05:04:38 PM
:lol: People were so stupid back then.
:huh: I think it's quite forward thinking given the state of available technology at the time.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Ed Anger

Quote from: CountDeMoney on May 10, 2009, 05:46:27 PM
--the rotary phones

You tell 'em. Things were better when phones were in the house and every asshole didn't have a cell phone to their ear.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Ed Anger

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Ed Anger on May 10, 2009, 06:00:14 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on May 10, 2009, 05:46:27 PM
--the rotary phones

You tell 'em. Things were better when phones were in the house and every asshole didn't have a cell phone to their ear.

I have rotary phones, because when I get a phone call, I want to fucking hear it ring.
And, I like having phone service if the power goes out.

You faggots and your cordless phones and their electronic ringers can all fuck off.

alfred russel

Quote from: CountDeMoney on May 10, 2009, 06:29:57 PM

I have rotary phones, because when I get a phone call, I want to fucking hear it ring.
And, I like having phone service if the power goes out.

You faggots and your cordless phones and their electronic ringers can all fuck off.

You could get a cell phone with a rotary phone ringtone.

http://www.voeveo.com/audio/ringtone/88054

Or I can just fuck off.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

saskganesh

a lot of the internet is really just a faster, easier, universal radio. so was/is TV.  based on how many people use it, I think the paradigm shift is still just getting started.

it's nice to live in a global village,  but when this village turns out to be a village full of village idiots, you have to wonder about the usefulness of the technology and how people have to change in order to actually use it to its transformative potential.

I think its going to take a few generations for people to catch up to the technology we are able to create. after a hundred plus years after Bell/Marconi, we still have to deal with too many pointless phone calls. we might be able to communicate more, but we don't necessarily understand each other better.
humans were created in their own image

PDH

Every village is filled with idiots who don't understand.  It is the nature of human interaction.  The one positive isn't better communication or understanding, it is that sometime a set of mores and codes of behavior might, just might, emerge from this whole mess of idiots talking rather than just the idiots in this valley talking together and ignoring the idiots in next valley.

Probably not going to happen, though.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

alfred russel

Quote from: PDH on May 10, 2009, 07:27:10 PM
Every village is filled with idiots who don't understand.  It is the nature of human interaction.  The one positive isn't better communication or understanding, it is that sometime a set of mores and codes of behavior might, just might, emerge from this whole mess of idiots talking rather than just the idiots in this valley talking together and ignoring the idiots in next valley.

Probably not going to happen, though.

Sure this is just a village of idiots, but imagine how much more stupid the village was 200 years ago. Sure people like Lettow are still around, but at least we recognize that people like Lettow are stupid, rather than electing them to the Senate and lynching black people.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Razgovory

I'm deeply bothered that as I grow older the more I agree with you.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Syt

Quote from: Ed Anger on May 10, 2009, 06:08:06 PM
Also, I miss CompuServe.

They were my first ISP :wub: Shortly afterwards I had a provider where I could dial in at local, not mid-distance rates.

Obviously, this was before broadband. Or before phone companies offered flat rates for phoning from land line to land line.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Ed Anger

Quote from: Razgovory on May 10, 2009, 08:54:36 PM

I'm deeply bothered that as I grow older the more I agree with you.

Once you turn 30, young people will start bothering you.

Razgovory

Quote from: Ed Anger on May 11, 2009, 06:59:29 AM

I do not look forward to this. :(
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Ed Anger

Quote from: Razgovory on May 11, 2009, 07:03:24 AM
Quote from: Ed Anger on May 11, 2009, 06:59:29 AM

I do not look forward to this. :(

It is actually fun. I give the punks utter looks of hatred, and warm myself at night with my hate.

Because in the end, I'm better than them, and always will be.