Mittenspalooza World Tour 2012: The MegaMormonThread!

Started by CountDeMoney, July 25, 2012, 11:01:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sheilbh

I think there's less political bias and more professional bias.  They want candidates who are either clubbable and give them lots of time (McCain 2000 and 2008 during the primaries) or provide good copy.  Despite maybe being more politically simpatico I remember a lot of media frustration at how tightly the Obama and Clinton campaigns controlled their messages, at how 'professional' they all were.
Let's bomb Russia!

Razgovory

Quote from: Admiral Yi on August 05, 2012, 06:45:42 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on August 05, 2012, 06:41:01 PM
Yeah, that's why GOP guys fuck up.  A conspiracy. :rolleyes:

We've been over the conspiracy talking point about 6 times already.

Yes, but still seems to be in the conservative bible.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Razgovory on August 05, 2012, 06:58:32 PM
Yes, but still seems to be in the conservative bible.

Even after Raz has presented his case six times!  Shocking! :lol:

Razgovory

Quote from: Sheilbh on August 05, 2012, 06:56:45 PM
I think there's less political bias and more professional bias.  They want candidates who are either clubbable and give them lots of time (McCain 2000 and 2008 during the primaries) or provide good copy.  Despite maybe being more politically simpatico I remember a lot of media frustration at how tightly the Obama and Clinton campaigns controlled their messages, at how 'professional' they all were.

I think it's simply a clever way of telling the base "Who are you going to believe, me or your lying eyes?".  You can't censor the media very easily in the US but you can convince people to self censor.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Sheilbh

Quote from: Razgovory on August 05, 2012, 07:02:31 PM
I think it's simply a clever way of telling the base "Who are you going to believe, me or your lying eyes?".  You can't censor the media very easily in the US but you can convince people to self censor.
What?  I don't understand what this means.
Let's bomb Russia!

Razgovory

Quote from: Sheilbh on August 05, 2012, 07:06:45 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on August 05, 2012, 07:02:31 PM

Did I leave a word out?

Admiral Yi

He's saying conservatives try to discredit an unbiased media because their objective reporting disproportionately hurts their causes.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: derspiess on August 05, 2012, 06:51:10 PM
No conspiracy-- just simple bias.

Right, and Gorka's superior interpersonal relationship strengths help by permanently cock blocking the press corps' access to the candidate, or refusing to answer direct questions on policy, has nothing to do with being a dick, just media "bias".

Here's a typical video of him not answering questions, but being an ignorant cock blocker.
http://www.cbsnews.com/video/watch/?id=7412896n

The best press secretaries know how to handle the press, give them what they think they want, and position their candidate positively. 
It's got nothing to do with bias, it's got everything to do with being able to handle the dogs.  You show fear or be a dick, they'll smell it and turn on you. 

James Brady had no problem with winning over the media with Reagan '80;  Mari Maseng, Jim Brady acolyte, had no problem with the media falling in love with Bob Dole, '88; Melissa Scuffield had absolutely no problem with winning their hearts and minds with McCain '00.  So don't blame it on "bias" from the "lamestream media", or any of your other typical Limbaugh whack-off material.

Razgovory

Quote from: Admiral Yi on August 05, 2012, 07:09:31 PM

He's saying conservatives try to discredit an unbiased media because their objective reporting disproportionately hurts their causes.

Incorrect.   

Sheilbh

Quote from: Razgovory on August 05, 2012, 07:08:58 PM
Did I leave a word out?
Maybe more a sentence or two.  I'm not sure what you're trying to say :mellow:
Let's bomb Russia!

Razgovory

Quote from: Sheilbh on August 05, 2012, 07:11:59 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on August 05, 2012, 07:08:58 PM
Did I leave a word out?
Maybe more a sentence or two.  I'm not sure what you're trying to say :mellow:

I'm saying that claiming there is media bias is a political strategy to convince people to ignore facts and events you don't want them to think about.  Instead of trying to deny a gaff or a scandal or damaging facts you simply tell people that an entire class of people (journalists) are biased against you, and untrustworthy.  Whether it's Spiro Agnew going on about "nattering nabobs of negativism" or Christine O'Donnell scolding her base for listening to the liberal media, it's an excellent strategy to get people to ignore stuff you don't want them to know about.  You don't even have to actually deny it, you just say it's liberal media bias and leave it at that.  It's not limited to the media.  Teachers, Professors, and scientists can't be trusted because of that liberal media bias.  Hell even Wikipedia has a "liberal bias" and so some enterprising conservatives created "Conservapedia, as a alternate source of information.  It's strategy to convince people to self censor information and it works like a charm.

Admiral Yi

A well-played card Raz.

Your next step would be to show that the existence of a false positive invalidates all positives, since Spiro Agnew is dead and Christine O'Donnel doesn't post here.

It would be a good idea to do something about the conspiracy argument as well.  Like throw it under the bus.

MadImmortalMan

"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Razgovory

Quote from: Admiral Yi on August 06, 2012, 04:33:50 AM
A well-played card Raz.

Your next step would be to show that the existence of a false positive invalidates all positives, since Spiro Agnew is dead and Christine O'Donnel doesn't post here.

It would be a good idea to do something about the conspiracy argument as well.  Like throw it under the bus.

I'll let you make the next move.

Admiral Yi

My next move is to mock your conspiracy theory again and remind you that Spiro Agnew is dead.