Did Chick-fil-A Pretend to Be a Teenage Girl on Facebook?

Started by garbon, July 25, 2012, 01:31:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

Quote from: Admiral Yi on August 02, 2012, 10:56:09 AM
Sure (although surely you could have come up with an example with more bite than schooling native children). 

And that's the question on the table: is a goal that you disagree with enough to qualify someone as a bigot, or does it take harmful intentions as well.

Here's OED's definition:

Quotehaving or revealing an obstinate belief in the superiority of one's own opinions and a prejudiced intolerance of the opinions of others
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

MadImmortalMan

Surely there's bigotry based on traits and not just opinions. This would be one. Racial bigotry also.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Admiral Yi

Quote from: garbon on August 02, 2012, 11:09:47 AM
Here's OED's definition:

Quotehaving or revealing an obstinate belief in the superiority of one's own opinions and a prejudiced intolerance of the opinions of others

Well Christ grabon, by that definition everyone in the world is a bigot.  You're bigoted towards Cathy and his ilk. 

Martinus

Quote from: Martinus on August 02, 2012, 10:33:24 AM
Are you serious? History is full of examples of people committing evil in the name of helping those they were harming. Native children being taken away from their parents to be raised among the civilized folks. Inquisitors torturing heretics so that their souls could be saved. Etc.

Sure (although surely you could have come up with an example with more bite than schooling native children). 

And that's the question on the table: is a goal that you disagree with enough to qualify someone as a bigot, or does it take harmful intentions as well.

I like how you call forcible removal of children from under their parents care "schooling native children". :D

Your picture should be in the encyclopedia next to "intellectual dishonesty". :D

garbon

Quote from: Admiral Yi on August 02, 2012, 11:16:24 AM
Quote from: garbon on August 02, 2012, 11:09:47 AM
Here's OED's definition:

Well Christ grabon, by that definition everyone in the world is a bigot.  You're bigoted towards Cathy and his ilk. 

I was writing up a post to MiM but I think it is the obstinate bit that clinches it...as that seems to suggest that one's own beliefs are irrational.  Medical science seems to be firmly on the side that you can't "convert" gays - so I don't think its obstinate to suggest that it'd be harmful to try and get rid of homosexuality.

Also, is it prejudice? I've heard the arguments of Cathy and his ilk and dismissed them as they don't fit the science.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Valmy

Oh is that what the Australian PM was apologizing for?  Providing education?

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Valmy on August 02, 2012, 11:23:05 AM

Essentially.  The manner of the education and the socialization that attaches to education and the assumption that it was superior to that being provided by the parents.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: garbon on August 02, 2012, 11:22:15 AM
I was writing up a post to MiM but I think it is the obstinate bit that clinches it...as that seems to suggest that one's own beliefs are irrational.  Medical science seems to be firmly on the side that you can't "convert" gays - so I don't think its obstinate to suggest that it'd be harmful to try and get rid of homosexuality.

Also, is it prejudice? I've heard the arguments of Cathy and his ilk and dismissed them as they don't fit the science.

This has potential, but one problem right off the bat is that religious views are by definition not susceptible to scientific proofs.

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on August 02, 2012, 11:12:43 AM
Surely there's bigotry based on traits and not just opinions. This would be one. Racial bigotry also.

This is perhaps unclear. What I mean is that gay is a trait. It's not gay dude's opinion that he's gay or a black guy's opinion that he black. It's who they are. A bigot holds his bigoted opinions based on the other's traits.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

garbon

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on August 02, 2012, 11:36:45 AM
This is perhaps unclear. What I mean is that gay is a trait. It's not gay dude's opinion that he's gay or a black guy's opinion that he black. It's who they are. A bigot holds his bigoted opinions based on the other's traits.

But the opinion held is that there is a problem with said trait, no?

garbon

Quote from: Admiral Yi on August 02, 2012, 11:33:32 AM
Quote from: garbon on August 02, 2012, 11:22:15 AM

This has potential, but one problem right off the bat is that religious views are by definition not susceptible to scientific proofs.

I'm not sure if one needs to go down that rabbit-hole.

Here we have a case of a man who says that Americans are arrogant and our attempts to legitimize homosexuality are destroying our nation.  Now there already exist nations that allow homosexual unions and they don't seem destroyed. Similarly there are nations that don't allow homosexual unions that are much worse off than America. Where is the evidence to suggest then that America is being destroyed by homosexual unions?

Barrister

Quote from: Admiral Yi on August 02, 2012, 11:32:01 AM

Essentially.  The manner of the education and the socialization that attaches to education and the assumption that it was superior to that being provided by the parents.

Native residential schooling is a complex one.

As Yi points out it was done with good intentions - they wanted to provide a proper education for these children.  And some did indeed get good educations and advanced in the world.

On the other hand, it was their explicit goal to beat the "indianness" out of them.  Corporal punishment for speaking their language, restricting family visits.  And there were few to no opportunities to them once they graduated (since there was plenty of anti-native prejudice), so they wound up returning to their home community alienated from their family - oh and never having learned any parenting skills.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Jacob

Quote from: Admiral Yi on August 02, 2012, 10:56:09 AMAnd that's the question on the table: is a goal that you disagree with enough to qualify someone as a bigot, or does it take harmful intentions as well.

If the goal is predicated on a group of people being inferior to you because you (or your god) disapproves of them, then yes it is bigoted; whether the intentions are harmful or not.

So, if you believe gays or black people or half-Korean people or Americans or the French or women are inferior or harmful to society or offensive to god, then you are a bigot. Now, there's a difference in virulence of the bigotry of course, wanting them to "keep separate, not make a fuss so I can pretend they don't exist" is less virulent than wanting them all "re-educated and/ subjugated, and thoroughly integrated so they don't offend me anymore," which again is less virulent than wanting them all killed. But it's all bigotry.

Now, if the goal I disagree with is political but not identity based, then it's not bigotry. I can oppose building a bridge that you favour building, and neither of our positions are bigoted. Even if either or both of us are so convinced of our righteousness that we are willing to endorse murder to support our opinions, we are not bigots (though we are other kinds of bad).

Barrister

Quote from: garbon on August 02, 2012, 11:46:00 AM
Here we have a case of a man who says that Americans are arrogant and our attempts to legitimize homosexuality are destroying our nation.  Now there already exist nations that allow homosexual unions and they don't seem destroyed. Similarly there are nations that don't allow homosexual unions that are much worse off than America. Where is the evidence to suggest then that America is being destroyed by homosexual unions?

Anyone who says that gay marriage will "destroy" a nation is using wildly overblown rhetoric.

However - any change in a society that results from recognizing gay marriage is going to take a long time to play out.  It's only within the last 10 years that any country has recognized it.  Let's just say we don't know what the effects (if any) of recognizing gay marriage might be...
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Jacob

The Canadian government apologized for the residential schools, I believe.

"Providing education" in this context meant forcibly removing Native children from their parents at a young age, putting them in Christian curriculum schools where they were beaten if they as much as spoke their own language. On top of that, of course, there was the kind of sexual abuse of children that is now unsurprising to us in the context of Christian Brothers looking after vulnerable children with little oversight.

I suspect the Australian situation is fairly similar.

Even without the sexual abuse, I'd consider the residential schools bigoted institutions however well-intentioned they were thought to be. When your good intention is to eradicate a culture, it's bigoted, no matter how much you believe god is on your side.