Did Chick-fil-A Pretend to Be a Teenage Girl on Facebook?

Started by garbon, July 25, 2012, 01:31:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alfred russel

Anti gay marriage activists were just reduced to waiting in long queues to patronize a fast food restaurant in some sort of rearguard solidarity movement. In its own way, it is a sign of progress.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Eddie Teach

The nearby Chick-fil-a always has long lines if you go there at lunchtime.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Valmy

Quote from: Admiral Yi on August 01, 2012, 09:15:35 PM
You do understand I hope that Christians believe God sets his own policy and lobbying is neither productive or allowed.

We do?  Then why are we always praying to him all the time?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

garbon

You do understand I hope that Christians believe God sets his own policy and lobbying is neither productive or allowed.

I have no idea what that has to do with what I said.

In his belief system making a gay person straight will improve their situation.  That to me is the antithesis of bigotry.

I don't. You're forcing people to give up their ways and shouldering them with what you think is better for them. Sort of similar to notions of forcing immigrants to give up their language/culture as that'll help improve their situation.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: garbon on August 01, 2012, 10:28:24 PM
I have no idea what that has to do with what I said.

You're blaming Cathy for his interpretation of God's will, which he has no control over in his own mind.

QuoteI don't. You're forcing people to give up their ways and shouldering them with what you think is better for them. Sort of similar to notions of forcing immigrants to give up their language/culture as that'll help improve their situation.

Leaving aside the coercion issue, when else have we seen bigots doing something that they thought was better for their targets?  Did the Nazis try to make Jews better?  Did the Klan try to make blacks better?  Did bigoted Serbs try to make Bosniaks better?

garbon

Quote from: Admiral Yi on August 01, 2012, 11:04:55 PM
You're blaming Cathy for his interpretation of God's will, which he has no control over in his own mind.

But he does. After all, there's no one way to be a Christian.

Quote from: Admiral Yi on August 01, 2012, 11:04:55 PM
Leaving aside the coercion issue, when else have we seen bigots doing something that they thought was better for their targets?  Did the Nazis try to make Jews better?  Did the Klan try to make blacks better?  Did bigoted Serbs try to make Bosniaks better?

So you're just going to ignore my example in favor of your own? Wanting people to not be who they are be that sexual orientation, culture, religion is that not being hostile to those very identities?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: garbon on August 01, 2012, 11:21:10 PM

Sure there is. All the others are wrong.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Admiral Yi

Members of other churches don't think they can change God's will either.

QuoteSo you're just going to ignore my example in favor of your own? Wanting people to not be who they are be that sexual orientation, culture, religion is that not being hostile to those very identities?

I'm not ignoring your example.  I'm pointing out examples that demonstrate the essence of bigotry--ill will towards the other.  Wanting to "save" someone from homosexuality does not demonstrate ill will.  Wanting to "save" someone from a quote unquote wrong religion does not demonstrate ill will.  Pointing out the dire consequences of quote unquote sinful behavior does not demonstrate ill will.  Shoving someone in a room and pouring Zyklon B in demonstrates ill will.

Ed Anger

I turn on the TV and it is Chick-Fil-A overload on the news channels. So guess what I want to eat again. :weep:

Damn evil chicken.  :cry:
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

FunkMonk

Quote from: Ed Anger on August 02, 2012, 07:24:48 AM
I turn on the TV and it is Chick-Fil-A overload on the news channels. So guess what I want to eat again. :weep:

The free advertising is delicious.
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Octavian

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jpoki4wBwtA
If you let someone handcuff you, and put a rope around your neck, don't act all surprised if they hang you!

- Eyal Yanilov.

Forget about winning and losing; forget about pride and pain. Let your opponent graze your skin and you smash into his flesh; let him smash into your flesh and you fracture his bones; let him fracture your bones and you take his life. Do not be concerned with escaping safely - lay your life before him.

- Bruce Lee

Darth Wagtaros

THe one closest to me is infested with cockroaches. I know roaches are everywhere, but most places have the decency to keep them out of sight. Also, the service is bad even by the low standards of fast food.
PDH!

garbon

Quote from: Admiral Yi on August 02, 2012, 12:12:08 AM

They all are defining for themselves what they believe God's will is. And at the very least, as I know you won't agree with that, they are choosing what messages they want to put out there. I know plenty of Christians and none of them say those sorts of statements to me.

I'm not ignoring your example.  I'm pointing out examples that demonstrate the essence of bigotry--ill will towards the other.  Wanting to "save" someone from homosexuality does not demonstrate ill will.  Wanting to "save" someone from a quote unquote wrong religion does not demonstrate ill will.  Pointing out the dire consequences of quote unquote sinful behavior does not demonstrate ill will.  Shoving someone in a room and pouring Zyklon B in demonstrates ill will.

Just because it is done differently doesn't mean it isn't ill-will. The people are still alive but you've taken steps to eradicate their identity / their existence as a group. Doesn't sound particularly benevolent even if you say they'll be better off.  Otherwise, you're saying that Grallon isn't being bigoted when he says that Muslim immigrants need to drop all of their culture and espouse only Western (and presumably Quebecer) sentiments. That seems odd.

alfred russel

QuoteSo you're just going to ignore my example in favor of your own? Wanting people to not be who they are be that sexual orientation, culture, religion is that not being hostile to those very identities?

Surely the definition of bigotry can extend beyond putting someone in the zyklon B room. There were lots of christian arguments for slavery, segregation, and banning interracial marriage. I don't think that exempts members of churches that still believe those arguments from a bigot classification, even if in their worldview such things would be the best for everyone in the eyes of god.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Ed Anger

Quote from: FunkMonk on August 02, 2012, 07:36:52 AM

The free advertising is delicious.

Very delicious.  :blush:
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive