Did Chick-fil-A Pretend to Be a Teenage Girl on Facebook?

Started by garbon, July 25, 2012, 01:31:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KRonn

Quote from: Faeelin on August 01, 2012, 06:53:55 PM
Quote from: KRonn on August 01, 2012, 06:51:36 PM
Agreed Yi. Doesn't he have about the same view on same sex marriage as Pres Obama did prior to a few months ago?

Obama thought God's judgment would descend upon its America for its arrogance thinking gays could marry and donated money to groups associated with opposition to gay marriage?

I think there is a difference between Obama saying "I support equal rights for gays but don't think they should get married" and "God will punish us for our hubris."

Well, one guy also has religious views on it, and the other doesn't. He's allowed his beliefs; I strongly disagree with that view on gays and God, but for those who follow religions they have to make the choice  one way or the other. When I was more Catholic I didn't believe in everthing, or take things so literally.

Jacob

Are people really arguing that this Dan Cathy person is not a bigot?

He's obviously a bigot, given his stance on gay issues.

Faeelin

Quote from: Admiral Yi on August 01, 2012, 07:08:07 PM
Why is it necessary that the rest of the country view HIM ( :lol:) as a bigot?  There are people on both sides of the affirmative action debate who go days and weeks without considering each other bigots.  Same with abortion, same with all kinds of issues.

Sure. But if someone was to come out against interracial marriage, you would agree we'd call them a bigot, even though in 1940 they would not, right?

Neil

Quote from: Jacob on August 01, 2012, 07:09:56 PM
Are people really arguing that this Dan Cathy person is not a bigot?

He's obviously a bigot, given his stance on gay issues.
Bigot is a loaded word, and to use it against someone who doesn't like a group that isn't exactly socially acceptable is a bit strong in my opinion.  You might as well call someone a bigot for their dislike of pedophiles.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

dps

Quote from: Faeelin on August 01, 2012, 07:11:44 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on August 01, 2012, 07:08:07 PM
Why is it necessary that the rest of the country view HIM ( :lol:) as a bigot?  There are people on both sides of the affirmative action debate who go days and weeks without considering each other bigots.  Same with abortion, same with all kinds of issues.

Sure. But if someone was to come out against interracial marriage, you would agree we'd call them a bigot, even though in 1940 they would not, right?

Not necessarily, if we're talking about a particular interracial marriage, and not interracial marriage in the abstract.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Faeelin on August 01, 2012, 07:11:44 PM

I find this a pretty good example and have no quick answer.  What do you think of mine?

Jacob

Quote from: Neil on August 01, 2012, 07:13:56 PMBigot is a loaded word, and to use it against someone who doesn't like a group that isn't exactly socially acceptable is a bit strong in my opinion.  You might as well call someone a bigot for their dislike of pedophiles.

Sure the word is loaded.

In the case of Mr. Cathy, it's appropriately loaded. The man is clearly a bigot.

KRonn

Quote from: Jacob on August 01, 2012, 07:39:24 PM
Quote from: Neil on August 01, 2012, 07:13:56 PMBigot is a loaded word, and to use it against someone who doesn't like a group that isn't exactly socially acceptable is a bit strong in my opinion.  You might as well call someone a bigot for their dislike of pedophiles.

Sure the word is loaded.

In the case of Mr. Cathy, it's appropriately loaded. The man is clearly a bigot.
I'm just aware of his not agreeing on same sex marriage. And he donates to a group that thinks they can "cure" gays. What else has he done? Not being snarky, I just don't know.

Neil

Quote from: Jacob on August 01, 2012, 07:39:24 PM
Sure the word is loaded.

I disagree.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Jacob

Quote from: KRonn on August 01, 2012, 07:44:59 PM
I'm just aware of his not agreeing on same sex marriage. And he donates to a group that thinks they can "cure" gays. What else has he done? Not being snarky, I just don't know.

I don't know, but each of those two things are enough to considered a bigot.

Just like not agreeing to interracial marriage or donating to groups intent on keeping people of the "wrong religion" out of a neighbourhood or other area would be the mark of a bigot, pretty much on their own.

KRonn

Quote from: Jacob on August 01, 2012, 07:54:40 PM
Quote from: KRonn on August 01, 2012, 07:44:59 PM

I don't know, but each of those two things are enough to considered a bigot.

Just like not agreeing to interracial marriage or donating to groups intent on keeping people of the "wrong religion" out of a neighbourhood or other area would be the mark of a bigot, pretty much on their own.
The marriage thing isn't bigotry, is it? Just a difference of opinion. As I said, not too long ago Pres Obama had the same view.

Maybe the part of trying cure gays is bigoted, or just ignorance of what homosexuality really is. But I can agree that this can get to some nastiness, or perhaps bigotry.

KRonn

Thinking about it though, depending on what they feel of same sex marriage it can be bigotry. But I'm thinking that it's possible to disagree with gay marriage without being bigoted. Some people may just look at it more in traditional, legal and practical terms as a man and a woman.

Valmy

Well keeping blacks and whites separate was also a matter of opinion.  I do not see how the fact opinions are involved has anything to do with whether or not bigotry is involved.  Do bigots not have opinions?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

garbon

Quote from: KRonn on August 01, 2012, 08:03:46 PM
The marriage thing isn't bigotry, is it? Just a difference of opinion. As I said, not too long ago Pres Obama had the same view.

It's just a simple opinion when you voice that people in a happy, healthy committed relationship shouldn't be able to have their relationship recognized by the state and that God will punish us for such abominations?

Quote from: KRonn on August 01, 2012, 08:03:46 PM
Maybe the part of trying cure gays is bigoted, or just ignorance of what homosexuality really is. But I can agree that this can get to some nastiness, or perhaps bigotry.

Yes, because it is easier to just provide funds to a group that aims to make gay people straight rather than taking a hot second to learn about homosexuality and see that its okay. Sorry but not in this day and age.

With both of those items, one is really just being spiteful.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.