Did Chick-fil-A Pretend to Be a Teenage Girl on Facebook?

Started by garbon, July 25, 2012, 01:31:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barrister

If I was Chik-Fil-A I would want this story to go away as fast as possible, and would hate for such a display by "supporters" that only keeps the story in the news for longer.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

frunk

It depends on how dumb they are.  They make think that this is the event that will convince people that gay marriage is wrong or something.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Barrister on August 01, 2012, 03:55:40 PM
If I was Chik-Fil-A I would want this story to go away as fast as possible, and would hate for such a display by "supporters" that only keeps the story in the news for longer.

I'm not sure.  If they lose one Faeliin and gain two Billy Bobs they come out ahead.

garbon

Quote from: Admiral Yi on August 01, 2012, 04:06:55 PM

I'm not sure.  If they lose one Faeliin and gain two Billy Bobs they come out ahead.

One day of supporters isn't a viable business strategy unless you think all of those who showed up will now become long term customers.  I'm not sure that there are many consumer products that want to be associated with bigotry. :D
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: garbon on August 01, 2012, 04:12:20 PM
One day of supporters isn't a viable business strategy unless you think all of those who showed up will now become long term customers.  I'm not sure that there are many consumer products that want to be associated with bigotry. :D

There might be some consumer products that don't mind being associated with freedom of religious expression.

Of course if Billy Bob and Amy Sue only come one day, while Faeelin boycots for eternity then they'll lose out.  I postulated a different outcome.

Valmy

Quote from: Admiral Yi on August 01, 2012, 04:06:55 PM

Yeah pretty sure Billy Bob is going to go back to hamburgers after awhile.  This is like all those people donating blood after 9/11.  It did not signal a new era of vast blood donations.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

garbon

Quote from: Admiral Yi on August 01, 2012, 04:17:05 PM
Quote from: garbon on August 01, 2012, 04:12:20 PM

There might be some consumer products that don't mind being associated with freedom of religious expression.

Of course if Billy Bob and Amy Sue only come one day, while Faeelin boycots for eternity then they'll lose out.  I postulated a different outcome.

I don't see why your outcome is likely though. Is "freedom of religion" a driver on selection of a fast-food place?

And just to share my pov, this whole flap doesn't make me more or less likely to be a patron of Chick-Fil-A as I don't care what the head of a company says unless they are implementing discriminatory measures.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Darth Wagtaros

Quote from: Ed Anger on August 01, 2012, 02:46:58 PM
Nobody has seen PCU? Well fuck you too, buddy.

I have.  It was too close to reality for my tastes.
PDH!

Faeelin

Cute bias.

Faeelin

I would guess it depends on how this affects their branding, and how they think gay rights will play out long term, or if they care.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Faeelin on August 01, 2012, 04:25:42 PM
Cute bias.

I don't have a dog in this fight.  What I'm opposed to is oversimplification and demonization.

Faeelin

Quote from: Admiral Yi on August 01, 2012, 04:29:52 PM
I don't have a dog in this fight.  What I'm opposed to is oversimplification and demonization.

I don't see the simplification? People are angry that Cathy thinks God's judgment will come to America if it allows gay marriage and because Chick Fila gives millions to anti-gay groups.

Darth Wagtaros

Nobody has accused the company itself of being discriminatory towards LGBT employees right? This is all because someone didn't like something the CEO said and some political hacks started trying to block the opening of new stores in their cities?
PDH!

Faeelin

Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on August 01, 2012, 04:33:12 PM
Nobody has accused the company itself of being discriminatory towards LGBT employees right? This is all because someone didn't like something the CEO said and some political hacks started trying to block the opening of new stores in their cities?

Not quite; she was responding to a question about Chick Fila's donations to anti-gay groups. Her reply for some reason made people aware of donations the group has done for years.

I haven't eaten there because they donated to Exodus International, which supports conversion therapy for gays. Having gone through that as a teenager, they can fuck off.

http://equalitymatters.org/factcheck/201207020001

The numbers to the most vehemently gay organizations are relatively small, but I wouldn't be surprised to see them increase now.

What's really weird about this controversy is that she could've just said "we donate to support traditional American family, we don't agree with extreme tactics" and it would've been like Cathy's past interviews.

The religious expression which got everyone:

Quotethink we are inviting God's judgment on our nation when we shake our fist at Him and say, 'We know better than you as to what constitutes a marriage,'" Cathy said. "I pray God's mercy on our generation that has such a prideful, arrogant attitude to think that we have the audacity to define what marriage is about."

Valmy

God.  First bribing politicians is speech and now it is religion.  I think eventually lobbying and donating money to Pols will be hailed as the ultimate expression of the first amendment and the primary purpose of this country :P.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."