Cash-strapped Berlin stalked by 450-year-old Trillion dollar debt

Started by jimmy olsen, July 20, 2012, 01:55:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

Quote from: Zanza on July 20, 2012, 09:56:26 AM
The road that runs in front of the Brandenburg Gate is named for him.

No kidding?  Good on Berlin then.  He deserves something for his efforts poor bastard.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

derspiess

Quote from: Valmy on July 20, 2012, 12:02:58 PM

No kidding?  Good on Berlin then.  He deserves something for his efforts poor bastard.

Yeah, he was a pretty decent guy as far as SPD types go.  His son seems to have been a DDR douchebag, but Friedrich, Sr. did about as good a job as anyone could do in his position.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Zanza

Quote from: Valmy on July 20, 2012, 12:02:58 PM

Every bigger German city will have a square or street named for Friedrich Ebert, although not as prominent as the street in Berlin (runs from Reichstag along Brandenburg Gate, American Embassy, Holocaust Memorial to Potsdamer Platz). Adenauer and Brandt and Bismarck usually have more prominent streets and squares named after them in most cities though - not in Berlin however.

Valmy

Is he like the Marshall Foch of Germany?  It seemed like the main street of every French town was 'Rue du Marechal Foch'
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Zanza

As I said, the late chancellors Adenauer, Brandt and Bismarck usually have more prominent places named for them in German cities. Ebert is more of a second rank politician as far as place names go and is comparable to Hindenburg and Kaiser Wilhelm I, but more prominent than say Scheidemann, Schumacher or Erhardt.

Will be interesting to see what they'll name for Helmut Kohl and Helmut Schmidt after they die.

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

The Minsky Moment

From a visitor's guide to Augsburg:
(http://www.augsburg.de/index.php?id=12416)

QuoteThe Fuggerei is known as a "city within a city" and is still managed by the Fugger family foundation as it was at the time of its beginning.
In 1521, Jakob Fugger the Rich and his brothers founded what is now the oldest social settlement in the world for Augsburgers who had fallen into hardship (and who practiced the Catholic faith). The settlement is comprised of 67 houses with 140 apartments, a church and a fountain.
Even today, annual rent is the equivalent of one Rhinish Gulden, about 0,88€ 

The Fuggerai has been is continuous operation and charging rent at a fixed amount in guilder; so that conversion ratio presumably represents the fair present day value of a 16th century guilder.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Syt

The tenants are also required to pray for the souls of the Fugger family.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

alfred russel

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on July 20, 2012, 02:01:15 PM
From a visitor's guide to Augsburg:
(http://www.augsburg.de/index.php?id=12416)

QuoteThe Fuggerei is known as a "city within a city" and is still managed by the Fugger family foundation as it was at the time of its beginning.
In 1521, Jakob Fugger the Rich and his brothers founded what is now the oldest social settlement in the world for Augsburgers who had fallen into hardship (and who practiced the Catholic faith). The settlement is comprised of 67 houses with 140 apartments, a church and a fountain.
Even today, annual rent is the equivalent of one Rhinish Gulden, about 0,88€ 

The Fuggerai has been is continuous operation and charging rent at a fixed amount in guilder; so that conversion ratio presumably represents the fair present day value of a 16th century guilder.

Assuming that is right, I figure Berlin "owes" them about 9,856 euro.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Zanza

:huh:

400 guilders * 0.88 = 352€

But compound interest means you have to multiply that by 1.06^448, no? Berlin would still owe them more than 76 trillion Euro. Which is more than the annual GDP of the world.

The mayor of the small town now regrets that he even publicized that story as he was badgered by journalists from all over the world for the last two days.

Viking

Quote from: Zanza on July 20, 2012, 03:02:42 PM

But compound interest means you have to multiply that by 1.06^448, no? Berlin would still owe them more than 76 trillion Euro. Which is more than the annual GDP of the world.

The mayor of the small town now regrets that he even publicized that story as he was badgered by journalists from all over the world for the last two days.

This makes you the third person on this thread to point out that the person who wrote the article can't do math.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Zanza

alfred russel

Quote from: Zanza on July 20, 2012, 03:02:42 PM

That is what I thought at first, but if you go back to the article it seems the interest isn't compound--just simple.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)

alfred russel

Quote from: Zanza on July 20, 2012, 03:05:28 PM
I wanted to point out that Alfred can't do math.

Wait a second...if you calculate by simple interest 400 +(400 * 450 * 0.06 ) you get 11,200, which is a number actually quoted in the article. Plus, simple interest makes sense in light of the time period the theoretical contract was written.

Viking

Quote from: alfred russel on July 20, 2012, 03:37:25 PM
Quote from: Zanza on July 20, 2012, 03:05:28 PM
I wanted to point out that Alfred can't do math.

Wait a second...if you calculate by simple interest 400 +(400 * 450 * 0.06 ) you get 11,200, which is a number actually quoted in the article. Plus, simple interest makes sense in light of the time period the theoretical contract was written.

The problem is that compound interest is the only way to get to trillions and the article mentions compound interest. This story is only interesting because of compound interest. Berlin welching on a minor debt is not interesting, berlin owing some shit hole sub-urb 1000 times the world's total gold supply in gold coins is fascinating.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.