Cash-strapped Berlin stalked by 450-year-old Trillion dollar debt

Started by jimmy olsen, July 20, 2012, 01:55:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

Ok, according to this article from May this year:
http://www.maerkischeallgemeine.de/cms/beitrag/12333847/62129/Berlin-und-Mittenwalde-legen-die-Diskussion-um-ein.html

There was a law suit over the debt in 1893, but this went nowhere because the IOU wasn't properly signed.

Mittenwalde delegates discussed claiming he debt again in 1899 but decided against it.

Meanwhile, they've been symbolically recompensated by receiving one gold guilder for their local museum.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Josquius

Quote from: Syt on July 20, 2012, 05:46:53 AM
http://www.maerkischeallgemeine.de/cms/beitrag/12333847/62129/Berlin-und-Mittenwalde-legen-die-Diskussion-um-ein.html

There was a law suit over the debt in 1893, but this went nowhere because the IOU wasn't properly signed.

Mittenwalde delegates discussed claiming he debt again in 1899 but decided against it.

Meanwhile, they've been symbolically recompensated by receiving one gold guilder for their local museum.

That 16th century lawyer is so gonna get his arse kicked in the afterlife.
██████
██████
██████

alfred russel

Quote from: Viking on July 20, 2012, 05:41:01 AM
Quote from: Syt on July 20, 2012, 05:39:15 AM
Quote from: Solmyr on July 20, 2012, 05:21:58 AM
Quote from: Viking on July 20, 2012, 04:50:04 AM
How they turn 400 guilders into 11,200 guilders into 112,000,000 euro baffles me.

The first one is 400+24*450 (24 being 6% of 400). I.e. whoever calculated it fails at understanding compound interest.

Probably depends on how the loan agreement was worded? Did they use compound interest back then? I have no idea.

The article says

QuoteAdjusting for compound interest and inflation, the total debt now lies in the trillions, by RBB's estimates.

so presumably compound interest in included in the deal.

I'm not following why you would adjust for inflation. Since there have been a few bouts of inflation in Germany since this time, the total debt may not be so bad if not adjusted. Which would make for a less compelling newspaper article.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Viking

Quote from: alfred russel on July 20, 2012, 09:14:16 AM
I'm not following why you would adjust for inflation. Since there have been a few bouts of inflation in Germany since this time, the total debt may not be so bad if not adjusted. Which would make for a less compelling newspaper article.

hmm.. if there is a legal chain of legal tender going through the Reichsmark of the 1920s from the guilder to today then the debt is worth nothing.

In which case the Weimar Republic may have just saved Berlin  :lmfao:
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Syt on July 20, 2012, 05:46:53 AM

Res judicata.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Valmy

Quote from: Viking on July 20, 2012, 09:16:54 AM
In which case the Weimar Republic may have just saved Berlin

It's creation saved Berlin from Allied occupation so that is two Berlin owes it.  I suggest they name a street after Friedrich Ebert.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Zanza

Quote from: Valmy on July 20, 2012, 09:26:46 AM

It's creation saved Berlin from Allied occupation so that is two Berlin owes it.  I suggest they name a street after Friedrich Ebert.
The road that runs in front of the Brandenburg Gate is named for him.

Zanza

Quote from: Martinus on July 20, 2012, 02:16:48 AM
Quote from: Zanza on July 20, 2012, 02:09:20 AM
Debt denominated in a non-existing currency is pretty easy to pay, no? Just send a piece of paper that has a very large number on it.

You are probably wrong - when a currency is withdraw in the modern era
Maybe. But we are talking about 1563 here.

Quoteit is almost always converted into another, surviving currency - otherwise any currency exchange or withdrawal would mean a de facto abolition of debts and property, which would be disastrous and against any principles of rule of law. For example, the German mark may no longer exist, but any debt denominated in the German mark would be enforceable, because it can be converted into Euro.
Yes, and guilders can't be converted into Euro.

Viking

Quote from: Zanza on July 20, 2012, 09:56:26 AM
Quote from: Valmy on July 20, 2012, 09:26:46 AM

The road that runs in front of the Brandenburg Gate is named for him.

Yes, but is there a Havenstein Allé or Strasse? I think not. Failed presidents and prime ministers still get streets named after them. There are streets and schools named after Buchanan and Harding.

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Zanza

Yes, there is a Havensteinstraße in Berlin. It's nowhere near as prominent as the Ebertstraße though. Looks like a random street in some residential area.

dps

I've never heard of adjusting debts owed for inflation before, either.  Which is why inflation is generally considered a good thing for debtors and a bad thing for creditors.

Viking

Quote from: Zanza on July 20, 2012, 10:14:34 AM
Yes, there is a Havensteinstraße in Berlin. It's nowhere near as prominent as the Ebertstraße though. Looks like a random street in some residential area.

well.. I'll be...

unsurprisingly it is a one way street....

grumbler

Exactly.  Besides the inflation bit of dishonesty, the matter was apparently dismissed in 1893 because the document was never legally signed, and then there is the fact that, even had the other matters not intervened, the town apparently accepted compensation in the form of "one gold guilder for their local museum."

In short, a non-story posing as a story in order to sell papers/clicks/whatever.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

derspiess

I'm not witty enough to make a good "Take it from Grumbler-- he was there" joke, so someone else please go ahead :P
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Syt

Quote from: grumbler on July 20, 2012, 11:45:46 AM

Exactly.  Besides the inflation bit of dishonesty, the matter was apparently dismissed in 1893 because the document was never legally signed, and then there is the fact that, even had the other matters not intervened, the town apparently accepted compensation in the form of "one gold guilder for their local museum."

In short, a non-story posing as a story in order to sell papers/clicks/whatever.

Astute summary. A usual summer non-story for slow news days.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.